Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 12:31 PM

536 posts, read 1,539,250 times

Advertisements

Austin humid? I happen to disagree....go to Houston or Tyler in the middle of the summer..you'll find out a new word for humid but I digress. I need to go visit Denver soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 01:27 PM

19 posts, read 50,951 times
I agree, I am from Houston and for me Austin is very dry.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:29 PM

39 posts, read 68,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Not an accurate statement. Every year the weather is a little different, this year was rainier and a little cooler than normal, but in the last decade Denver usually has MANY days where the high is over 90 degrees. Not uncommon at all to have some days in the upper 90s in July and August, even breaking 100 degrees once in a while. And Denver is usually a few degrees warmer and a tad more humid than Colorado Springs in the summer. Still much more comfortable though than anywhere in Texas.
Austin's streak of 90F+ degree days just ended....at 105 in a row. 68 of those days were over 100F, and a couple dozen of those were 105+

I don't think summer heat is anywhere close to a concern for anyone from here thinking about moving to Denver. I'm just chiming in to say that if you like Austin then you'll like the city of Denver more than you would like the suburbs. And while people say that Boulder is like a smaller Austin, it's not, because Austin is far more down to Earth (in the not trying too hard and not as affluent sense) from my experience. The City of Denver is really underrated when it comes to being a good place to live for people with an urban mindset. So, if you're from Austin, I'd recommend living right in the middle of the city...maybe the area along Alameda just East of Broadway.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:30 PM

39 posts, read 68,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelfs View Post
Agreed...Austin is much drier than Houston and sigificantly less humid than the Eastern and Southeastern U.S. is. Honestly most of the time, it IS the heat here, not the humidity. We had many days this summer where the temperature was over 105F...but the heat index was the same or lower...it really is just plain hot here.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:03 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eacsn1 View Post
besides the weather though, what's it like to live in denver? is there a lot to do (free and cheap is my goal) and cool divey coffee houses and bars? neighborhoods where you can walk around and get almost everything you need? easy to meet friends and find things to do? i have a go get em attitude so i'm definitely going to put myself out there to meet new people and try new things.
I love Austin and have been there recently. Weather is a big difference, but in a good way. No humidity, very pleasant summers in comparison, but much colder in winter, although the cold isn't consistent.

Denver's much bigger, but similar attitude. People are friendly here, lots of cool neighborhoods near downtown. I think you'd like it.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
Austin humid? I happen to disagree....go to Houston or Tyler in the middle of the summer..you'll find out a new word for humid but I digress. I need to go visit Denver soon!
I was in Austin last October and the humidity hit me like ton of bricks! Comparing humidity among Texas cities is like comparing punches to the face. I'm sure some are more humid than others, but you'll never work up a sweat in Denver walking from your house to your car in the driveway!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelfs View Post
Then you need to come to Denver - or any city in the West to find out what comfortable humidity really is!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:14 PM

536 posts, read 1,539,250 times
I think you're confusing heat with the humidity. Trust me, Austin is not humid. As a matter of fact, Austin is undergoing a severe drought. So severe that Lake Travis is 300 feet below normal! Houston on the other hand...is very humid because of the town's close promixity to the coast.

I think what Denver has is a dry heat or dry climate somewhat similar to West Texas. I know what you mean...

Old 09-17-2009, 01:46 AM

162 posts, read 513,619 times
Humid or not humid, Austin is hell during the summer. I am from Dallas and have family there. I remember the 11 summers I spent there and how lifeless I felt during that time. Comparing Austin and Houston in the summer is like comparing the 6th and 7th circles of hell, there really isnt much of a difference, they are both hell and smokin hot.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:12 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
so you haven't spent any time in the bone-dry southwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver