Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 03:37 PM

26 posts, read 94,722 times

Advertisements

Here's a couple of questions for any folks living in a downtown Denver. I plan to move to Denver in the first half of 2010, and I'm liking the idea of living in a nice downtown/LoDo condo or apartment. I have two questions:

(1) I enjoy running and biking (road bike). I try to keep fit, and don't want to spend time on a treadmill or stationary bike. What kind of options does a downtown resident have, if they enjoy going out for a 5K run or a one-hour bike ride?

(2) I'm a software engineer, so there's a good chance I'll wind up working in the DTC. How's the LoDo-DTC commute? Is the light rail system a legitimate option to using I-25?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 08:47 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,484,129 times
Don't be fooled by the DTC marketing. There are tons of tech jobs in downtown Denver as well as north of the city too. That said, the commute from downtown to the tech center would be against the grain and likely 18-25 minutes most days.

There are tons of places to jog and bike in Denver. We have a decent bike lane system and a great path system that runs all over the metro area. Both the Cherry Creek and Platte trails are heavily used and meet up just outside of REI.

You will want to consider the reality that LoDo has no close proximity to most services, gas and grocery come to mind, and can be a loud place to live especially in the summertime as the bars are letting out.

If you go a bit further east from the city you have close proximity to two great parks for running, City Park and Cheeseman, a bit south Washington park is the place in Denver for 20 somethings to pose and posture.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:51 AM

44 posts, read 124,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
There are tons of tech jobs in downtown Denver as well as north of the city too.
Tons of jobs (these days)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
There are tons of places to jog and bike in Denver. We have a decent bike lane system and a great path system that runs all over the metro area. Both the Cherry Creek and Platte trails are heavily used and meet up just outside of REI.
True and don't forget the 7k race coming up early next rear (race of the green I think through Lodo and LoHi). Question - what is the name and location of that small coffee shop that serves Brats and Lattes off the bike path just south of REI ??

Old 12-18-2009, 11:08 AM

151 posts, read 397,683 times
Denver is an urban jogger's paradise. If you get a place in the Platte Valley next to the REI superstore, you can hop right on to paved trails at Riverfront Park--you could trot over to Confluence park and run along Cherry Creek all the way to Cherry Creek Mall and back. You could figure out the closest connect point to the highline system and run there. Basically, there are way too many options to list. I believe you could jog all the way to Fort Collins on nothing but paved trails dedicated to bikes and feet.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:56 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
Best way to go from downtown to DTC would be light rail; you can walk/job/bike to your job from the light rail station (yes you can take your bike on the train). The northbound afternoon commute logjam on I-25 from the Tech Center area starts about 3:00 and is a parking lot for hours. Much worse than my commute going the other way in the afternoon "rush" hour.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
If you are coming here w/o a job, there's a good chance you could end up working most anywhere. I'd say, keep your options open by renting in a central location until you know where you'll be working. There are tech jobs scattered all over the metro, with some hubs in the Tech Center, downtown, Broomfield and Boulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver