Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 06:37 PM

352 posts, read 713,527 times

Advertisements

$150k? Lamar, maybe. Pueblo, maybe. It's a new day, it ain't no 2010 anymore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 07:13 PM

618 posts, read 1,366,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
My how the times have changed.

BUT:
Ruby Hill is still not trendy. Athmar saw a little uptick a couple years ago (for unknown reasons), and Valverde is still a complete dump.
Yeah...but now you have to pay at least $250K for any of those neighborhoods.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:03 AM

1,951 posts, read 2,300,032 times
I think Limon is safe and 150 K but the commute is really will be a few hours a day. They even have an " Internet cafe ".

Old 10-06-2016, 01:51 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
I think Limon is safe and 150 K but the commute is really will be a few hours a day. They even have an " Internet cafe ".
And tornadoes.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:25 AM

207 posts, read 481,208 times
Default Ruby Hill is the next hot neighborhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Ruby Hill is still not trendy. Athmar saw a little uptick a couple years ago (for unknown reasons), and Valverde is still a complete dump.
Ruby Hill is just about to tip to trendy, here's why:

1. Levitt Pavilion
2. Ruby Hill Mountain Bike Park
3. Actual skiing, night skiing, and even snowmaking.
4. If you built a home there with a third floor view deck, you'd have the best city views of any neighborhood in town.
5. This could be the catalyst project: CPR seeks PUD for Ruby Hill site it has owned since 2001
6. Pedestrian bridges will link Ruby Hill to Platt Park. See page 13 of the Evans Station Area Plan

One theory is that the City feels Washington Park is getting too crowded, and wants to attract people to Ruby Hill Park.

Last edited by kevin_in_Denver; 10-07-2016 at 08:36 AM..

Old 10-07-2016, 08:55 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
Yeah...but now you have to pay at least $250K for any of those neighborhoods.
That's the real crime.

I looked at a tiny, slightly run down 2BR/1BA 1940s house in Ruby Hill because there was all this hype about the neighborhood. There was nothing remotely exciting about anything over there. There's a park. And then there's industry everywhere else.

The only redeeming factor is that it's moderately close to Baker, Platt Park, and Wash Park, but it's not exactly quick walking distance. Valverde is even worse than Ruby Hill. But yeah, like you said. $250k is the going rate for a lot of the dinky little run down homes in a neighborhood that offers very little in the way of amenities. My neighborhood now (Dayton Triangle) blows Ruby Hill out of the water. I ended up with a newer place that didn't require nearly as much, at a slightly lower price, and the neighborhood has a ton of amenities within walking distance.

Last edited by SQL; 10-07-2016 at 09:11 AM..

Old 10-07-2016, 01:25 PM

207 posts, read 481,208 times
Aurora? Really?
But light rail is coming, so it's got that going for it. Which is NICE.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:48 PM
SQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_in_Denver View Post
Aurora? Really?
But light rail is coming, so it's got that going for it. Which is NICE.
Have you been to Dayton Triangle lately? It's on the edge of Denver (literally the next city block over from me) and in western Aurora. The area between Mississippi and Jewell, on Havana, is all recently re-developed retail, restaurants, condos, townhomes, and apartments. The sales tax down the street, near Parker and Florida is only 4.2%. All within a 5-10 minute walking radius from me, in the Havana Gardens, there are the following retail options:

Lowe's, Safeway, King Soopers, Target, Kohl's, Costco, Sprouts, Office Depot, Dick's Sporting Goods, Petco, Gibby's Big Backyard Bar (this place has volleyball courts set up in the back of the bar year round), Backstreet Tavern & Grill, Applebee's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Rusty Taco, Qdoba, Noodles & Co., Starbucks, Chic-Fil-A, McDonald's, Good Times, Freddy's, Chipotle, Subway, Jimmy John's, Menchie's FroYo...

Lowry is about 4 miles north, which is a short bike ride for me and my GF.

Glendale is about 4 miles west.

Sam's No. 3 is about 2 miles south. Dozens is about 1 mile south.

Bicycle Village is about 2 miles south.

Copper Kettle Brewery is about 1.5 miles west.

The 83L bus stops about .25 miles down from my place and takes me downtown to my office in ~35 mins. There are currently two (about to be three) light rail stations within 4 miles of me.

About 1.5 miles west, off of Florida, there are $1m+ homes over looking the High Line Canal.

Dayton Triangle is a diamond in the rough. I literally do not need to drive anywhere if I preferred to do so. Of course, I have a preference being very close to retail. Ruby Hill, as far as I could tell when I looked over there, was mostly hyped because of proximity to other nice neighborhoods, not because it was that nice or offered a bunch of amenities (last summer at least). Perhaps that will change in a few years.

I think younger people looking for first time buys should consider this area. There are a lot more newer model townhomes and condos in this area that are still fairly affordable relative to many other homes in the trendier Denver neighborhoods.

http://www.zillow.com/dayton-triangle-aurora-co/

Last edited by SQL; 10-07-2016 at 02:38 PM..

Old 10-07-2016, 03:08 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
Have you been to Dayton Triangle lately? It's on the edge of Denver (literally the next city block over from me) and in western Aurora. The area between Mississippi and Jewell, on Havana, is all recently re-developed retail, restaurants, condos, townhomes, and apartments. The sales tax down the street, near Parker and Florida is only 4.2%. All within a 5-10 minute walking radius from me, in the Havana Gardens, there are the following retail options:

Lowe's, Safeway, King Soopers, Target, Kohl's, Costco, Sprouts, Office Depot, Dick's Sporting Goods, Petco, Gibby's Big Backyard Bar (this place has volleyball courts set up in the back of the bar year round), Backstreet Tavern & Grill, Applebee's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Rusty Taco, Qdoba, Noodles & Co., Starbucks, Chic-Fil-A, McDonald's, Good Times, Freddy's, Chipotle, Subway, Jimmy John's, Menchie's FroYo...

Lowry is about 4 miles north, which is a short bike ride for me and my GF.

Glendale is about 4 miles west.

Sam's No. 3 is about 2 miles south. Dozens is about 1 mile south.

Bicycle Village is about 2 miles south.

Copper Kettle Brewery is about 1.5 miles west.

The 83L bus stops about .25 miles down from my place and takes me downtown to my office in ~35 mins. There are currently two (about to be three) light rail stations within 4 miles of me.

About 1.5 miles west, off of Florida, there are $1m+ homes over looking the High Line Canal.

Dayton Triangle is a diamond in the rough. I literally do not need to drive anywhere if I preferred to do so. Of course, I have a preference being very close to retail. Ruby Hill, as far as I could tell when I looked over there, was mostly hyped because of proximity to other nice neighborhoods, not because it was that nice or offered a bunch of amenities (last summer at least). Perhaps that will change in a few years.

I think younger people looking for first time buys should consider this area. There are a lot more newer model townhomes and condos in this area that are still fairly affordable relative to many other homes in the trendier Denver neighborhoods.

Dayton Triangle Real Estate - Dayton Triangle Aurora Homes For Sale | Zillow
Would the area where Iliff and Parker road meet be considered Dayton Triangle? We used to own a condo over there. I drove around that area recently and I was really surprised on how much it has changed. Lots of new places.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:24 PM
SQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Would the area where Iliff and Parker road meet be considered Dayton Triangle? We used to own a condo over there. I drove around that area recently and I was really surprised on how much it has changed. Lots of new places.
The small strip between Havana and Parker is. The majority of the neighborhood encompasses the area between Mississippi and Jewel, and Dayton and Havana.

Apparently 15-20 years back, there was an old, mostly run down mall at Mississippi and Havana. Developers tore this down and built what is now the Gardens @ Havana, which is a toned-down version of those other suburban "town centers" like Belmar, Southglenn, Southlands, etc. It's an outdoor "town center" / mall now.

In the residential area, just west of the shopping center, it's mostly condos, townhomes, and apartments that were built in 2000 and beyond. It's a newer, yet relatively affordable area with lots of retail close by, and only a short commute to the downtown core. That's why I say it's a good area for first time buyers to look. I'd have never considered the area prior to my realtor showing it to me. And initially I was hesitant about it because it was not in the "right" part of town. But I've really grown to love it over the past year because of how close I am to everything without necessarily paying the outrageous prices in some of the other trendy neighborhoods that young people want to be in. We also don't have to deal with all the bums and grime that we did in my GF's old neighborhood of Baker.

There's also the gigantic Potter House mega church down the street that we always joke about going to on Sunday. It's honestly like having a mini-arena built in the middle of a subdivision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver