Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:16 PM

14 posts, read 28,952 times

Advertisements

I'm still trying to narrow down my search of cities in the Denver area to relocate to from IL. I am really considering Parker. I have been researching the area and I have been very impressed with it so far. Does anyone on here live in Parker or know info about it? I know they have excellent schools which is my main concern, but what about, shopping, sports, gyms, recreation, restraunts, and the best areas in Parker to live. Also, I have been looking at a few houses online on the outside of Parker off the main roads. I was wondering if the secondary roads get cleared when the snow comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 10:13 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times
Where's work?

Old 03-05-2010, 10:27 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,771,607 times
Parker is pretty big and Parker Rd is the main thoroughfare. There is plenty of shopping, restaurants, etc off Parker Rd and there's a little outdoor recreation to be had with Cherry Creek(trails along the creek and parks and such) and whatever your HOA provides in terms of services(some have pools, ball fields, etc). There's also trail rides, a big waterslide on Main Street, and it's not too far from Cherry Creek State Park either. There were some youth sports options as well, but I only recall pee wee football(I recall neighboring Highlands Ranch has lacrosse, so Parker might as well).

As far as where to live, it totally depends on your budget, land size desires, home age, how far you want to be from work, etc. You're going to add extra time to your commute if you're going in to Denver and you live in the Pinery compared to living in the Cottonwood development since there isn't a freeway to get down to the southern end.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:07 PM

305 posts, read 770,563 times
If you were to describe your ideal home and neighborhood, what would it be like? This might help us figure out if Parker is the best place for you. Also, where will you be working, and what would be your ideal commute?

I have friends who are very happy raising their families in Parker--excellent schools, friendly communities, and even a little bit of wildlife in their back yards. Parker is fairly large and diverse in terms of lifestyle--you can get everything from newer, cookie-cutter developments on small lots with nearby amenities such as community pools and tennis courts to a horse property on several acres. Generally, the farther you are from town the more space you will have. The only drawback to Parker that I can see is its relative distance from Denver. You'd have about a 45-minute commute for cultural amenities such as theatre, symphonies, art museums, etc., but if this isn't a priority, Parker has just about everything else a family could want. If you're into shopping, Park Meadows in Highlands Ranch is a nearby upscale retail mecca.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:13 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
IIRC, the OP will be working at I-70/Havana.

I will say nothing else.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:28 AM

11,832 posts, read 34,451,143 times
Park Meadows Mall is in Lone Tree. Highlands Ranch is a subdivision in northern Douglas County, not in a city.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:08 AM

664 posts, read 2,067,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Park Meadows Mall is in Lone Tree.
But it didn't used to be until Lone Tree annexed them in one of the biggest sales tax grabs in recent memory, but that's a different rant.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:55 AM

94 posts, read 245,875 times
Quote:
I know they have excellent schools which is my main concern
Saying all of somewhere as big as Parker has excellent schools is a bit like saying all restaurants in the city of New York are excellent.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that what district you find matters more than what teacher and principle you end up with at what school.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:31 AM

6,812 posts, read 9,365,924 times
It's too far away from everything, in my opinion, but it's a nice town otherwise.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:33 AM

14 posts, read 28,952 times
I will be working off of Florence st. in Denver. I would like at least an acre of land with my home. I have seen a few homes in the Parker area with land that I will look at when I get there in the near future. My son enjoys all sports so it is a must that the area have a good sports program. I don't mind being on the outskirts of town as long as the roads get cleared when it snows. I don't really care to be in a subdivision where the houses sit on top of each other. I like to have my space. It doesn't matter if there is a pool. Also what is the deal with the water in the area and is there some areas better than others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver