Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 12:19 PM

194 posts, read 273,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
What does that even mean? They aren't growing the food in the store where things could cross pollinate and every item has it's own PLU number you can look at if you aren't sure which is which.
It means you are trusting some kid making $8 an hour to stack the produce properly in the backroom cooler so that all the pesticides form the conventional don't drip onto the organic. It means the water sprayers at Safeway spray roundup residue into the air and the water drips onto the organic. YUM! BTW this also happens in the meat department... bloody beef dripping onto the chicken. I spent years working in a grocery store and have seen it all... not worth the risk given what they are using to grow conventional produce these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 04:15 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbelvis View Post
It means you are trusting some kid making $8 an hour to stack the produce properly in the backroom cooler so that all the pesticides form the conventional don't drip onto the organic. It means the water sprayers at Safeway spray roundup residue into the air and the water drips onto the organic. YUM! BTW this also happens in the meat department... bloody beef dripping onto the chicken. I spent years working in a grocery store and have seen it all... not worth the risk given what they are using to grow conventional produce these days.
Oh well. We are all going to die form something. I will just wash my produce and cook my meat thoroughly.

I love to use organic but I am not going to freak out if an organic apple is touching a non-organic one. I am not going to lose any sleep if I get a non-organic tomato mixed in with my organic. It happens.

I worked at Costco a long time ago and I never saw them drip meat juice on other types of meats. It could happen but most likely it rarely does. If you want to see disturbing food things work in fast food. I did that when I was a teenager. I am sure things have changed in the last 25 years but nobody really knows what is going on behind the scenes.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
First of all, no one in Colorado is making $8/hr at a grocery store. Minimum wage for non-tipped employees is $10.20/hr. Secondly, I know this is a big presumption, but I think the produce is washed before it is put on display. That doesn't mean you shouldn't wash it before you eat it, mind you. Lastly, a lot of the pesticides/fertilizers are inside the produce itself, not just on the outside. Meats are generally wrapped.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:12 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,419 times
Quote:
Don't most people rinse their produce or meats (chicken at least) before eating/cooking it, anyways? That's what I was taught growing up, at least. Not because of pesticides but because of common germs and such from people handling the food between shipping and stocking and customers.

I just don't see any "risk" involved, especially since a lot of organic produce still has pesticides on it anyways (just different varieties than conventional).

Old 04-09-2018, 09:55 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,766 times
You do realize at Natural Grocers they don't wash hands prior to handling produce right? So they could be bringing in pesticides from the outside (it's all around us). Plus the stores are not positive pressure enclosed spaces. So GMOs are bombarding all the contents in the store all the time. All shoppers don't shower and step on sticky mats prior to entering, so that's a huge amount of drug-resistant bacteria and non-sterile dirt you are bringing into the store.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:32 PM

824 posts, read 705,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
You do realize at Natural Grocers they don't wash hands prior to handling produce...
ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver