Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 03:56 PM
CWG CWG started this thread

82 posts, read 260,659 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live in the area close to Cheesman and Congress Park? Whats the area like and how safe is it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 04:34 PM

360 posts, read 1,126,392 times
I wouldn't worry about safety. It is a vibrant part of Denver and getting more so all the time.

If you have a specific concern, can you please elaborate? There are plenty of threads/photo tours of these areas here already if you would just search them out.

Hint: ^^See posting above as the sticky^^ Most Denver neighborhoods are well represented and in alpha order.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:04 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,627 times
Seems like a nice area, but I've only visited someone there and he lives in a multi-million dollar house, so maybe I didn't get to see the seedier side?

Old 05-17-2010, 06:50 PM

3 posts, read 4,241 times
It's really gay.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:06 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Based on a brief stay in the area, I would stay south of say, 12th ave if possible. The further south you go the nicer it gets. Although it is mostly safe, up by Colfax and over by Colorado Boulevard, we saw a some typical urban sketchiness. Nothing too bad, but nothing I would want to live adjacent to.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:27 AM

68 posts, read 127,534 times
There is no need to stay south of 12th at all. Actually 12th is a seemingly arbitrary number now that I think about it. The park itself goes another block north to 13th to begin with.

I lived in the area for a few years. What is safe? I remember there was a lady murdered down the street that had everyone scared for a while. Then again there was a triple homicide in Boulder yesterday and the last murder I can think of took place way down south near Parker.

Are you looking to not get shot, mugged, robbed or raped? I would say these things are no more likely than they are anywhere else in the metro area. Cheesman is a nice park if you can forgive all of the dead people still buried under it.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:05 AM

664 posts, read 2,065,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogotrep View Post
Are you looking to not get shot, mugged, robbed or raped? I would say these things are no more likely than they are anywhere else in the metro area. Cheesman is a nice park if you can forgive all of the dead people still buried under it.
While certainly not a 'dangerous' area, you can't say that it is not more likely than anywhere else in the metro area. You look at the numbers, crime trends, etc. and you will see there are areas that have much less crime than Cheeseman park. It's just one of the trade-offs you get living in a bustling area where there is a lot of activity and people versus a sleepy bedroom neighborhood.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:31 PM

68 posts, read 127,534 times
I'd say it is more likely than Eerie and less likely than Montbello, but really you have not lived in the area if you think you are any more likely or less likely to run into trouble, it's just, a normal neighborhood with a nice park.

I think people who live way outside of the city sometimes get this impression in their head that all people in the city are either robbing, stabbing, shooting or dealing drugs with one another. Denver simply is not like this.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:41 PM

664 posts, read 2,065,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogotrep View Post
I'd say it is more likely than Eerie and less likely than Montbello, but really you have not lived in the area if you think you are any more likely or less likely to run into trouble, it's just, a normal neighborhood with a nice park.

I think people who live way outside of the city sometimes get this impression in their head that all people in the city are either robbing, stabbing, shooting or dealing drugs with one another. Denver simply is not like this.
I don't live in the city but have spent a good amount of time in it - it's not all about getting shot or robbed. Is it more likely to have something happen than other areas - yes but that's just to nature of being in the urban environment. When you do a ride-along with the police department and go to the trouble it's a little bit different than trouble coming to you but you get a good idea of what's going on 'behind the scenes'.

I'm not trying to say Denver is dangerous just wanted to comment on the use of the work 'any' rather than 'most'.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:46 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammertime View Post
It's really gay.
This guy may have been banned, but the truth is that a lot of gays do live around there and do hang out at the park. Mostly, this is no big deal, but cruising etc does go on there.

I lived south of "Little Cheesman" (the small park just south of "Big" Cheesman) for about 18 years. We were two blocks south of 6th Avenue. We raised our kids there.
I worked at 13th and Gilpin, walked my dogs at big and little Cheesman.
It was urban living. Stuff would occasionally happen. My sister in law, while jogging early one morning, had a guy grab her but she escaped. A jilted woman hanged herself at the park. There were break-ins, neighborhood assaults and murders that occurred south of 6th, but this is over the course of 18 years, and nothing of note ever happened personally to me.

The 1980 movie The Changeling is based on the bizarre experiences of a man who moved into the Henry Treat Rogers Mansion, a large house on 13th (the house has since been torn down, a condo is there now.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver