Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:46 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times

Advertisements

So how high will our bills be this summer? With this tiered rate plan, it sounds like it could go very high. I read an article the other day about this and Xcel's spin on it is that it will help consumers understand their consumption. Oh, thank you for helping me Xcel No, I think it will help fill Xcel's bank account! I don't save my bills, so not sure how high we normally go over 500 units in Summer. I'm thinking that even if I set the A/C on 80, we'd still go over. So far I haven't used the A/C this month, but then it's been reasonably cool yesterday and today. I think we usually have our highest summer bill around $200, but I don't want to see $300, considering I'm unemployed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 09:59 AM

6,801 posts, read 9,350,606 times
I'm not a big fan of the tiered pricing either and it bothers me that I'm stuck with Xcel unless I move to another part of the metro area that is served by another provider, since we can't choose our power provider here in Denver. I live in an APARTMENT and I try to do my best to keep my bills down, but there are times when we go over the 500 units, in summer, on days when it's 95 degrees and we need to use the AC because we have dogs and fish -- and this is WITH blackout drapes on our windows to help keep the sun out. I can't help that the apartment isn't as energy efficient as it should be and it bothers me that Xcel seems to want to take it upon themselves to help me "understand" my consumption.

Oh, my original point was supposed to be that it's possible to look at past bills online.. but I went off on a tangent.

EDIT: I called Xcel to ask questions and they think that this is ultimately BETTER for consumers (which I don't believe) because it eliminates a higher winter rate in favor of a year-round flat rate, except for if you happen to go over the 500 units limit in the summer, and that for most consumers, it will most likely raise energy bills by only 2%. Either way, my salary isn't increasing this year, and 2% is significant when factored in with all of the other cost and tax increases that will occur within the next few years.

Last edited by cowboyxjon; 06-02-2010 at 10:29 AM..

Old 06-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,491,237 times
My question...
For those who have solar panels on their houses which are backfeeding the power grid, is Xcel going to tier their power purchase rate as well? I mean, since Xcel is only paying wholesale rates to purchase the excess power, I feel that they should double the purchase rate for "easing" the demand on the grid.
It only seems right...or is that not Xcel's intention to reward those who went "green"?

Time to buy Xcel stock since its going to see record profits this summer. Got to love the Public Utilities commission that oversees this type of thing

Nav

Old 06-02-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav View Post
Time to buy Xcel stock since its going to see record profits this summer. Got to love the Public Utilities commission that oversees this type of thing
I'm not one to hate companies for making a profit, but interestingly enough, the Xcel rep I spoke with said that they won't be making record profits from this move and that generally the profit margins on gas and electricity are small. Still though, I can't see why they'd bother with the tiered pricing if it wasn't somehow lucrative for them?

Old 06-02-2010, 11:19 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,648 times
My bill hits its highest in summer about $260. I keep it about at 75-78. Hopefully, it won`t be more.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:47 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
What do you pay per KwH?

Old 06-02-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What do you pay per KwH?
Last bill was around 3-3.5 cents, I think.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:26 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Last bill was around 3-3.5 cents, I think.
That's cheap.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:28 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
What you need to accept is that energy costs are rising. It does not matter how the cost will be labeled, tiered or an overall rate increase, we are going to pay more.

So, if you are one who has a habit for using excessive energy, then you have to make some choices. If you have enough money, as some people do, then it will not matter. These people will not cut down their consumptions because a few hundred dollars means nothing to them. However, if you are living on the edge then the best way is to think how to reduce your cost. The cost will rise no matter how you complain and whine-how many dogs, cats, fishes that cause you more consumption, may get you sympathy from some, but no reduction in rates.

I am poor, by all measures, but I do not live on the financial edge because I am very frugal. My electric usage is low and I have never, or will ever, go to the high tiered rate. I am disabled and I have some extra energy cost for health equipment but I just accept it. Keep in mind that the lower tiered rate has also gone up and I know I will be paying more.

I do not have air conditioning--never had; never needed it. I have continually made choices to reduce anticipate higher energy bills. I live in a ranch with a full basement--easier to cool and heat. I just put on a white roof (after last year's hail storm)--keeps the house cooler. My neighbors put on a more stylish?? roofs that are dark--their houses are significantly hotter; that is their choice, their higher costs and their discomfort from the heat.

I added more insulation to the attic-another plus for heating and cooling. My neighbor bought a boat; another one acquired two more large dogs--bow wow for him.

I just installed new energy efficient E-windows. Another neighbor bought a motorcycle to relive his youth--hey, his choice. In addition, I replaced my water heater with a energy efficient newer model that should reduce my cost. Another neighbor bought a cheaper model and went on a vacation--again their choice. I am now exploring a new furnace; I have no fireplace and all my neighbors have fireplaces which they cannot always use, as we have wood burning restrictions in Colorado-usually on the coldest days.

All these work is expensive but some small rebates are available. I realize that the cost has to be balanced against the pay back period and it may not make financial sense to install a costly new item, if you are not going to benefit from a long residency in the home. However, if you want vacations, pets, boats, motorcycles and follow the stylish crowd--that is your choice.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 06-02-2010 at 12:39 PM..

Old 06-02-2010, 12:55 PM

68 posts, read 127,607 times
My Xcel bill from 2001 shows (below the base charge):

Incentive Cost Adjustment -$0.64
GRSA .$0.21
Franchise Fee $0.84
Sales Tax $1.44

That is my base bill + $2.49

Right, so fast forward to my latest comparative bill in February of this year. The actual base bill was only 10 dollars more. Not bad right?

Well check this out, notice the new additional fees and the whopping elec commodity adj:
GRSA $16.07
Air Quality Imp $1.13
Trans Cost Adj $0.09
Elec Commodity Adj $45.91
Demand Side Mgmt Cost $4.80
Purch Cap Cost Adj $19.21
Renew Energy Std Adj $2.79
Franchise Fee $4.27
Sales Tax $5.31

That is $99.58 of additional and new fees on a bill that is only 10 dollars more of actual electric usage than the one from 9 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver