Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 01:47 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowagirl566 View Post

You know, now that it's been pointed out, there doesn't seem to be alot of mature trees in town. But then again, I mostly just drive on Oralabor and Delaware.

I think most of the trees planted in newer subdivisions are going to be ornamentals and smaller trees like birches. I guess you see some maples here and there, but those take a while to mature. In the older part of Ankeny I'm sure there are mature trees... but yeah, now that I think about it it doesn't seem like there's much in the tree department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 02:21 PM

49 posts, read 181,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
focail - for all the reasons you listed (as well as DMRyan) I would not chose to live in Ankeny. That is not a knock on Ankeny, just a recognition that what you see, is what you get. You seemed to somehow expect something different (which isn't Ankeny's fault, it is yours IMO)>

So I ask: why did you chose to live there?
--and where are you moving that is more tolerant of your views?
(I coulda been mean, 'cause i really don't like your 'tude;; but i wasn't..now, wasn't that civil of me?)

Old 05-17-2008, 11:50 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliaJohn View Post
--and where are you moving that is more tolerant of your views?
(I coulda been mean, 'cause i really don't like your 'tude;; but i wasn't..now, wasn't that civil of me?)
????

'tude? If you have a question or don't understand my comment, pls ask for clarification instead of assuming I'm expressing some type of attitude you don't like.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:14 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,048 times
I dont understand why all you des moines people are sticking up for Ankeny when you never even lived there. Stop jumping down peoples throats when they post their own experiences about a place they have lived.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:19 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,922,728 times
I have been to Ankeny a half-dozen times to visit my brother who lived there before moving to Wyoming. Ankeny is a nice and clean area and is not as stuck-up or arrogant as some suburbs in the Des Moines area and other cities. The people decent and the road layout is laid out in a nice grid pattern. There is traffic, but is mild compared to Minneapolis, Omaha, Denver, and KC for example. There are affordable areas along with higher end areas, and areas that are in between. There is something for everyone there. There is a Mexican restaurant on the northern end of town that is reasonably-priced and has excellent food. I also like Okoboji Grille there too. Theoretically, Ankeny would be towards the top of my list if I moved to the Des Moines metro area.

I personally would like to move to an older, well-kept, area that has mature trees. Comes in handy in keeping cool in the summer and blocking the winds (common in the Upper Midwest). Ankeny has a few of those areas, but lot of the areas are newer areas. It is flat, which most of Des Moines metro is hilly. Ankeny would be a decent place to relocate to.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:30 PM

49 posts, read 181,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
????

'tude? If you have a question or don't understand my comment, pls ask for clarification instead of assuming I'm expressing some type of attitude you don't like.
I thought I was reaffirming your stance! focail has a 'tude, IMHO. I thought you thought she did, too. Sorry to not be clear.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliaJohn View Post
I thought I was reaffirming your stance! focail has a 'tude, IMHO. I thought you thought she did, too. Sorry to not be clear.
Sorry. I totally missed the point of your post.

My bad.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
I dont understand why all you des moines people are sticking up for Ankeny when you never even lived there. Stop jumping down peoples throats when they post their own experiences about a place they have lived.
I lived in Ankeny from 2001 - 2003. Am I allowed to keep commenting?

Old 11-15-2008, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,925 times
Ankeny has a problem with sportsmanship. Every event we attended with ankeny resulted in inappropriate comments from the ankeny parents. My daughter, who attended a sporting event with adult supervision, was followed out of town by ankeny fans yelling obsenities. That took place because we won. For things like this to happen at every sporting event we attended is a good indication of the ankeny attitude. I also know businesses that have left ankeny because of their snobby better than you attitudes. I am glad I will never have to attend another event in that city.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:20 PM

337 posts, read 1,528,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingman View Post
Ankeny has a problem with sportsmanship. Every event we attended with ankeny resulted in inappropriate comments from the ankeny parents. My daughter, who attended a sporting event with adult supervision, was followed out of town by ankeny fans yelling obsenities. That took place because we won. For things like this to happen at every sporting event we attended is a good indication of the ankeny attitude. I also know businesses that have left ankeny because of their snobby better than you attitudes. I am glad I will never have to attend another event in that city.
What kind of business left Ankeny? They're crazy for doing it. This is the most down to earth place I've lived without being trashy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines