Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 04:25 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,359,753 times

Advertisements

I have been hearing about people being cold this summer. How has the weather been in Des Moines?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:22 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,662,316 times
Last week, the weather was sunny, dry, and in the 80s. This week, it's in the 90s and too humid.

Overall, it has been cooler this summer than last. It was in the upper 70s/low 80s during most of the state fair. No complaints from me! I nearly expired moving here during those 101 temps last summer.

And I still can't believe that you are finding summer in Phoenix on the cool side (another thread). Even if it's a "dry heat," I would be curled up somewhere with both an a/c and a fan blowing on me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 09:39 PM

26,492 posts, read 46,863,871 times
A bit cooler than average a little to the east. Only a couple of days above 90F with the potential of a couple more before the season ends. Many lows have been in the 50s this Summer here.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:17 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,355,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I have been hearing about people being cold this summer. How has the weather been in Des Moines?
Very mild. You would hate it.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:00 AM

389 posts, read 676,028 times
If there's nothing to talk about...then strike up a conversation about the weather. Glad to see Des Moines at least has weather happening in it.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
If there's nothing to talk about...then strike up a conversation about the weather. Glad to see Des Moines at least has weather happening in it.
I was genuinely curious about it, since the weather is the reason I left. Friends that are still there have said they were cold, so I wanted to see if those here agreed. Weather is always a big topic in the midwest as it changes constantly and can effect so many things. If you actually lived there, you would know this.

I don't see the problem, and if you have nothing to add, you are welcome to find another forum to contribute to.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:49 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,472,307 times
It's definitely been a mild summer. I wouldn't call it cold though as it has still been plenty hot for me. It has been pleasant for the most part (especially in the mornings) with a couple of spells of "weather you can wear" such as right now. Last night around 6 PM it was 88 degrees. It was the same temperature in Phoenix, but the real feel here was 97 and the real feel was 87 in Phoenix. That's probably my major gripe about living here. I hate how 95 can feel like 105 and, conversely, how -5 can feel like -30. As far as I'm concerned, the real feel and wind chill are the actual temperatures since those are the elements you have to prepare for here. BTW I think it's great that we can discuss the weather in the Des Moines forum. I'd rather talk about this than Ferguson, MO drama or some other catastrophic event.

Last edited by maniac77; 08-22-2014 at 11:05 AM..

Old 08-22-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
It's definitely been a mild summer. I wouldn't call it cold though as it has still been plenty hot for me. It has been pleasant for the most part (especially in the mornings) with a couple of spells of "weather you can wear" such as right now. Last night around 6 PM it was 88 degrees. It was the same temperature in Phoenix, but the real feel here was 97 and the real feel was 87 in Phoenix. That's probably my major gripe about living here. I hate how 95 can feel like 105 and, conversely, how -5 can feel like -30. As far as I'm concerned, the real feel and wind chill are the actual temperatures since those are the elements you have to prepare for here. BTW I think it's great that we can discuss the weather in the Iowa forum. I'd rather talk about this than Ferguson, MO drama or some other catastrophic event.

Yesterday was VERY cool for Phoenix in August. We were way below normal yesterday; at lunch it felt almost chilly out with cloud cover and a breeze. You hear about monsoon season, and this is my first exeprience. Lots of thunderstorm action, and I find myself outside before the storm rolls in looking at the sky, just as I did in Iowa. You can take the girl out of tornado alley, but you can't take the tornado alley of the girl I guess!

I miss the humidity, I loved those warm, muggy evenings. I do not, however, miss the bugs that stick to you when it is muggy like that!

Old 08-22-2014, 11:10 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,768,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
Forbes recently voted it best city for summer weather (even better than Honolulu) - 4th year in a row.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:31 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,472,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Forbes recently voted it best city for summer weather (even better than Honolulu) - 4th year in a row.
Really? That's interesting that Forbes says that. I used to live in Honolulu, and I'd take its summer weather over Des Moines anytime. Yeah, it's hot, but it only occasionally reaches above 90 in Honolulu, and there are some nice trade winds that come from the mountains that can make AC not essential depending on where one lives. The weather can also change drastically within a 15-minute drive there. It could be sunny and hot on one side of the mountain and cool and rainy on the other side. I always thought Seattle and Portland were considered to have the best summer weather, but I guess it depends on one's perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
View detailed profiles of: