Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 04:39 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghDiva View Post
Thank you soooo very much. The Sudanese... They are the (hush my mouth) have had my share of them... Wow!

I am middle class and I speak good, clear English. I am just down to Earth and get along with anyone for the most part. Those of African decent are just... they try to act as if they run things...
Well technically all of us who are Black Diaspora are of African descent. I'm AA(or black American) and have a couple of Nigerian friends and we pretty much get along. In fact I can see myself dating this Nigerian/SA girl at my school. I notice many AAs have some difficulties understanding Africans. A lot of it have to do with cultural, language, and accent barriers. African immigrants are more conservative than American black people.

BTW I'm surprise there are many Africans(especially Somalis) in Iowa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 07:52 PM

43 posts, read 145,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I actually should have asked if your reply was due to my messages since you did not address it to anyone specifically.

I got it now.

Racism or for that matter just about any type of discrimination I do not think will ever stop. In one form or another people are still that way, sad but a true reality.

To me those that have written to you simply show their narrow mind and possibly their insecurity. OOPS!! I will probably get something now that I wrote that. I have my share of "Go back to Mexico" comments too. Actually in my case those people actually make me laugh. They do not realize how funny they look with their irate and ignorant comments.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
You just made me laugh! Thanks! They're going to get you real bad now!!
I apologize for not clarifying. Guess I'll start a new post LOL! Stay tuned

Old 11-24-2009, 07:56 PM

43 posts, read 145,737 times
I may have a drop of it in me. I doubt it... my parents are of Domenican and Indian roots. There are numerous Africans here. I was surprised as well.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:00 PM

250 posts, read 563,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
A lot of it have to do with cultural, language, and accent barriers. African immigrants are more conservative than American black people.

BTW I'm surprise there are many Africans(especially Somalis) in Iowa.
Tru Dat!!

Old 11-25-2009, 08:37 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
You just made me laugh! Thanks! They're going to get you real bad now!!
I apologize for not clarifying. Guess I'll start a new post LOL! Stay tuned
Well one general cultural aspect of the Midwest compared to the South is that people here tend to speak a little more bluntly. I wouldn't take offense to what people were saying, they were just being candid with their opinions and thoughts.

People in the Midwest stereotypically tend to be a little more insular in their handling of strangers, but then at the same time will more easily turn face and be very blunt compared to Southerners. I've always heard it can be quite tricky to make solid friends and find people that will really open up in the Midwest because people and groups here are harder to "break". Once you do though, the friendships are extremely close and the bond usually lasts a lifetime.

At least that's what I've heard from friends who move from the South or Northeast when they comment how hard it is to make good friends in the Midwest - but then at the same time comment how surprised they are that everyone's good friends seem to have been their good friends for decades. My friends from the Northeast said they made friends left and right back home, but at the end of the day 85% of them were people that could fall off the earth and within a few days they'd probably just be moving on with their lives.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:13 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
I can't believe people would actually message people that stuff, although I shouldn't be that surprised after some of the stuff I see people post on here. Don't judge Iowa by those kind of jerks.
I agree with you and in my case I do not stereotype people. There are bad apples anywhere and it is unfair to label a whole state for the attitude and remarks of a few.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 11-26-2009, 11:41 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,078,991 times
Lots of people from Africa do not see eye to eye with African Americans for various reasons.

It's basically the same reason that lots of Europeans look down upon White Americans and they argue about certain issues.

The same thing happens with Asian people, Middle Eastern, Latino, etc. etc.

American culture is materialistic, ignorant and full of baffoonery in many ways. People from other continents come to America and they are doing a constant "WTF?" at the culture. It's normal and very understandable that they might scoff a bit at the average rude American.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:17 AM

53 posts, read 158,938 times
Ha ha ha, jehri curls. Thats funny!

Old 11-27-2009, 03:37 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Maybe Waterloo would be better, since it is the "Blackest" city in Iowa(about 13%). Davenport, Des Moines and even Cedar Rapids have their sections too. Same with some of the smaller cities like Ottumwa, Burlington, Iowa City, Sioux City, Fort Madison, Keokuk, Dodge City, Mason City, Dubuque, Council Bluffs, Marshalltown, etc....

Old 11-27-2009, 03:58 PM

250 posts, read 563,002 times
Quote:
I may have a drop of it in me. I doubt it... my parents are of Domenican and Indian roots. There are numerous Africans here. I was surprised as well.
Are you for real?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines