Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:37 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
. Eastland Village apartments however, are a breeding ground for crime.

Are they really? I thought the rents were pretty high there. The buildings look pretty good from the road. I would have expected problems at the apartments at Kingsville and Edgefield. Some of the apartments further up Kelly between 9 and 10 are getting to be roach motels, too.

As for the subsidized housing (and welfare in general) question, I'm going to have to say that it bothers me some when the Bridge Card users are better dressed than I am and buying better food than I am, and the other day I drove by the housing projects along 15 Mile east of Gratiot, looked into the window of an apartment along 15 Mile, and what did I find? A flat screen TV, at least 40 inches.

They aren't what they used to be. Not really violent crime in that area, but that's where most of the theft and drugs happen. Seems to spill over into the mall as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 11:39 AM

449 posts, read 934,632 times
When I started this thread I made it abundantly clear that I didn't want it turned into another brain dead, "you're a racist" thread.

Trust me, we all get it. We all get the fact that a few of you view economics not in terms of who creates their own wealth, but solely in terms of hypothetical handouts from the imaginary powers that be. And we get the fact that you feel that the distribution of this hypothetical "wealth" is unequal and that this needs to be corrected. If you wish to discuss to discuss that topic, there are plenty of threads in which you can do so.

This thread is about whether or not it is wise to purchase real estate when large numbers of section 8 scum, and yes they are largely scum, move into the neighborhood. I would like to hear from people well versed in area real estate as to this question. I could care less if you want to stick your head in the sand and pretend like these section 8 people are model citizens. Fact is, they are ghetto as hell and they destroy neighborhoods.

I just want to know if at this time, the market might improve and push them back out, or if my neighborhood is doomed.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:14 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
I just want to know if at this time, the market might improve and push them back out, or if my neighborhood is doomed.

If the only possible outcome of having Section 8 in your hood is DOOM..
Then I would think it is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:38 PM

589 posts, read 756,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
If the only possible outcome of having Section 8 in your hood is DOOM..
Then I would think it is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Mostly true. Im sure there are some S8 success stories, but I doubt its even a bleep on the radar [in Detroit atleast, other areas do better with it]. If she wonders if a S8 area is a good place to move to...Mostly no, but yea she sounds like she already has that opinion

Old 04-07-2011, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,011 times
All that talk about section 8 being a bad thing have obviously never had rough times. You ALL sound ignorant!! If you want to be angry about having to "work your ass off" be angry at yourselves!! You CHOOSE to conform, You CHOOSE to be an ant (work, work, work)! I personally have absolutely no problem using the governments money to pay for my housing...what the hell have they done for me...Most laws are bull**** and this economy is built to keep the little guys down...let me guess...you work everyday (lets say 9-5) to bring home just enough to pay your bills, and you spend hardly any time with the people you love (compared to how much you work) (which by the way is capitalism at it's finest-you work your ass off to make some one else richer) (fool)! and you're truly miserable...or just really stupid and can't open your mind to any one else's perspective or situation. It's sad really! You probably believe in God and Jesus too?! Maybe you're waiting for that one day that Jesus will "come back" and save you! God!! People OPEN YOUR MIND! It's all a damn rat race and I am sick of people thinking they are better than the next. The day that people stop placing value on someones worth because how they live their life (especially when it really doesnt affect you) is the day this world will be a better place.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:24 PM

166 posts, read 375,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneyaBizness View Post
I personally have absolutely no problem using the governments money to pay for my housing...what the hell have they done for me...Most laws are bull**** and this economy is built to keep the little guys down...
I doubt you know the word "austerity" friend, but you will. That teet you suckle so contently upon is drying up.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:32 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Quote:
All that talk about section 8 being a bad thing have obviously never had rough times. You ALL sound ignorant!! If you want to be angry about having to "work your ass off" be angry at yourselves!! You CHOOSE to conform, You CHOOSE to be an ant (work, work, work)! I personally have absolutely no problem using the governments money to pay for my housing...what the hell have they done for me...Most laws are bull**** and this economy is built to keep the little guys down...let me guess...you work everyday (lets say 9-5) to bring home just enough to pay your bills, and you spend hardly any time with the people you love (compared to how much you work) (which by the way is capitalism at it's finest-you work your ass off to make some one else richer) (fool)! and you're truly miserable...or just really stupid and can't open your mind to any one else's perspective or situation. It's sad really! You probably believe in God and Jesus too?! Maybe you're waiting for that one day that Jesus will "come back" and save you! God!! People OPEN YOUR MIND! It's all a damn rat race and I am sick of people thinking they are better than the next. The day that people stop placing value on someones worth because how they live their life (especially when it really doesnt affect you) is the day this world will be a better place.
Thanks for the laugh! You could have at least spelled some words wrong or used some incorrect grammar for a more credible effect, but it was humorous anyway.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:34 PM

385 posts, read 721,984 times
From my understanding, section 8 has rules for its tentants. A monthly inspection of the home, all people under the roof must be regristered. Also, the landlord is paid on time by the government. Also, it motivates landlords to fix their homes to code in order to start the process. I think its good as in, fixing up homes in areas that they would just sit vacant and its income. The people who take up these homes are usally lower income, does this mean their bad? No, we have a lot of disabled people in our society, also a lot of lazy people so one judge for all this crowd isnt possible. I say it beats a lonely home from being burnt and an incentive to rebuild.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:43 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times
Quote:

You're right. Most laws are @&*(#@+= and the economy is built to keep us under the Man's thumb. I agree with you on that. I just don't want to pay your rent and I certainly don't want to see you buying national brand groceries and Red Bulls at Seven-Eleven while I'm go to Aldi to buy Designer Imposter groceries with cans I picked up off the ground because I had to pay my overvalued mortgage and had to buy gasoline to keep myself in the rat race. (Let's also not forget there's always money for cigarettes, beer, lottery tickets, tattoos, and weed, right?) You probably get some help paying your heating bills to keep your home toasty warm while I spent all winter between 61 and 64 degrees, complete with frost on the inside of my windows, and the last two weeks (while it was snowing) have had a broken furnace that isn't getting fixed anytime soon. (This is why I won't give one red cent to THAW.) You want to live off government largesse, fine, I can understand that, but I'm not going to help you do it. I've never voted to support a tax levy of any kind and probably never will in this state until the DHS is nearly completely dismantled.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:46 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,974 times
The goverments money is actually our money, the taxpayers. More so it really is our childrens childrens money that sec 8 and other programs is being spent on. We cant keep printing money and expect everything to be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit