Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:25 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,917 times

Advertisements

Not long ago, I thought that this project was dead in the water, but it is back with the support of the Feds and the Michigan Governor:

Grant Expected For Chicago-Detroit High-Speed Rail « CBS Chicago

Upgraded rail lines from Detroit to Chicago will allow for passenger trains to travel up to 110 mph. This will no doubt open up both the State of Michigan and City of Detroit for commerce, visitors, tourists, and prospective residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 10:42 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I would use this. I am already going to try out Amtrak rather than flying to Chicago. Amtrak takes just over 5 hours, flying takes about 3 plus, but since I travel at night, it is really just a difference of do I sleep on the train or sleep in my hotel room for the first few hours of the night. Amtrack costs about $80 round trip while flying costs about $400 right now ($350 plus taxes, fees and baggage). I think that the train may be more pleasant since you just get on. No endless waiting in line after line (I hope). I also like the idea that you can walk around on the train (I hope).

If they had a train going 110 mph, it would probably shave an hour off the trip. If they limited the stops, they could cut another hour. It would be very competitive with flying, plus you can bring your aerosol, large shampoo, even nail clippers if you want them.

One downside is that there are a lot more flights to Chicago than there are train departures. Maybe if they go faster and more people train instead of flying, they will add more trains.

I will know whether it is pleasant or unpleasant compared to flying very shortly.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:25 AM

Default First wave of funding approved for high-speed rail line

The first wave of funding has been approved for the Chicago-Detroit high speed rail line. The money will be allocated to building an intercity rail station in Ann Arbor. The station's platform will accommodate train, bus, and car access, but more importantly, it will create "passing sidings" that allows one train to pass while another one is stopped/loading. The lack of such currently causes big delays for travelers and is critical to setting up high speed rail service. The station is planned for the south side of Fuller Road, just east of East Medical Center Drive and Maiden Lane in Ann Arbor.

First wave of funding released for Ann Arbor high-speed rail station | Crain's Detroit Business

Old 09-05-2011, 03:44 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
I heard they wanted to bring in Bullet Trains (220 mph) anyone know the status on that?
I think it would be a great idea

Midwest High Speed Rail Association

Old 09-05-2011, 04:05 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,932 times
This would be awesome.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:39 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Learned a bit about this. It is supposed to net only half an hour faster than the current train - if there are no delays. When I took the train to Chicago, it was an hour late picking me up and arrived almost three hours late. Coming back it left on time, but arrive an hour late. While it was pleasant, it is so inconsistent that it is impractical except for maybe a vacation type trip. It has to yield to freight trains and is subject to their delays, schedule changes etc. They need a seperate track to make this practical.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Learned a bit about this. It is supposed to net only half an hour faster than the current train - if there are no delays. When I took the train to Chicago, it was an hour late picking me up and arrived almost three hours late. Coming back it left on time, but arrive an hour late. While it was pleasant, it is so inconsistent that it is impractical except for maybe a vacation type trip. It has to yield to freight trains and is subject to their delays, schedule changes etc. They need a seperate track to make this practical.
Couldn't agree more. Folks in the U.S. really need to be informed of the benefits of high-speed trains. Trains can be so much more efficient than airplanes. If the government stopped subsidizing roads and airlines, it might allow the private sector to build some awesome rail infrastructure like that seen in Europe and Asia.

With a high-speed train, you can move more people, faster, cheaper, and with less red tape than you can on an airplane or by car/bus. If people could jump on a train in Detroit and reach any Midwest city in under 3 hours, mobility and commerce would improve exponentially. Not to mention, taking weekend trips to Chicago, Toronto, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, or even as far as NYC would be cheap and easy.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:42 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
OMG, a major upgrade on this line is LONG overdue. I ride this line at least every couple months and the delays are embarrassing. I wish Amtrak could at least give the Midwest something resembling the frequency and speed of the powerful Northeast Corridor (Boston - NYC - Philly - DC). They treat things like a joke around here.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:27 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Does any one have the latest news or a link to follow the high speed rail funding.
I was doing some research and see some money was taken out or eliminated.

Any of the experts know what rail money is gone now.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:42 AM

16 posts, read 53,838 times
Hello,

I am truly grateful that this information is being posted with constant updates. It will be a fantastic accomplishment for growth and connection. I am positively curious to see the development of massive transportation in Michigan.
I am not well versed with this topic but I will state that if South Eastern Michigan (namely Detroit) does not prosper economically by part of massive trans, the entire State of Michigan will suffer tremendously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit