Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 01:37 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,369 times

Advertisements

I started a different thread to deal with Detroit's M1 Light Rail Line, which is planned to run the length of the Woodward Corridor from the Riverfront (downtown) to New Center (uptown), and *eventually* all the way to downtown Pontiac. See that discussion here: //www.city-data.com/forum/detro...line-news.html

However, the Detroit-Chicago High Speed Rail Line deserves it's own discussion space. By retrofitting the present rail infrastructure between Kalamazoo and Dearborn, train service between Detroit and Chicago is expected to take less than 3 hours by 2012. The service will also cut commuter times between Ann Arbor and Detroit. On the portion of upgraded track, Amtrack trains will be able to travel up to 110 mph without needing to share the the rail with freight trains. Planners hope to have 6 trips per day between Detroit and Chicago, and at least as many to Dearborn, Metro Airport, Ypsilanti, and Ann Arbor.

This HSR line will allow for a lot of mobility throughout the midwest. Taking a day or an evening trip to Chicago from Detroit, or visa-versa will be quick and easy. Commuters from Ann Arbor to Detroit will be able to get downtown even faster than by car. Ridership on this route has been up 8% from last year, and that is without the speed improvements being discussed. Additionally, increasing the frequency of trips between Dearborn/Detroit and Metro Airport will improve accessibility to key destinations for business visitors and tourists.

Personally, I am really looking forward to having HSR between Detroit and Chicago. I visit Chicago several times a year and this will cut down on costs and travel time. Traveling by train is also far more enjoyable than by bus, which is not immune to traffic backups and often makes frequent stops. This HSR service also puts destinations in Metro Detroit within reach of those who live in Chicago and in even more distant cities like St. Louis. When light rail begins to expand in Metro Detroit, it will be easy for travelers to transition from HSR-to-LRT to get to virtually any place of interest in the Detroit region. This really opens up the doors for Metro Detroit, as we are essentially the only large city without such infrastructure.

Here is the article on MLive as well as an illustrative video from SEMCOG, which explains how it works: To Chicago? To Ann Arbor? What last week's light-rail announcement could mean for Detroit | MLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 05:30 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Thats not HSR , thats Intercity Rail.... HSR is anything 130mph+

Old 11-01-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Thats not HSR , thats Intercity Rail.... HSR is anything 130mph+
You're correct; it is not true HSR. I don't know why the media is calling it such. In fact, the MLive article I cited above refers to it as "light rail," which is certainly not true. There was also an article by Crain's Detroit Business that also mislabeled it as "light rail" and "high speed rail" within the same article. This is why I thought it was important to distinguish this project from the M1 light rail project in Detroit, which is totally different.

So, for the sake of correctness and not consistency, thank you. What we are talking about here is Intercity Rail.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:08 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,849,767 times
Some call it "half fast".

I'm curious how this will be coming about without sharing the line with freight trains. Currently there aren't a lot of freight trains using the line but there still are some. Will new tracks be constructed alongside the existing right-of-way?

Old 11-03-2010, 03:18 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
What's the sentiment on investment in rail by the new Republican governor of Michigan? Is he going to try to kill it like Governor-elect Walker in Wisconsin?

Old 11-03-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
What's the sentiment on investment in rail by the new Republican governor of Michigan? Is he going to try to kill it like Governor-elect Walker in Wisconsin?
Michigan's Governor-elect Rick Snyder is a moderate republican and a businessman more than a tea partier. Priority #5 from his campaign website is this:

5. Restore Cities and Control Urban Sprawl
In order for Michigan to truly reinvent itself, its cities and communities must become more vibrant. Rick will work to improve the state's city centers and create attractive living and working environments for its citizens. Rick believes infrastructure and transportation funding must be prioritized and also supports the establishment of a proper mass transit backbone in the state.

And, Snyder's #4 priority is "Create An Environment That Will Keep Our Youth In Michigan"

Reinvent Michigan: Rick's 10-Point Plan | Governor-elect Rick Snyder (http://www.governorelectricksnyder.com/vision-plan/10-point-plan - broken link)

I think Snyder knows that without at least some modern transportation, Michigan will fall further behind economically. This inter-city (half fast) rail line will serve several of the state's largest cities. Beyond that, this is a federal transportation initiative, not the State of Michigan. From what Snyder says when he speaks, he seems to give the impression that the state has not been progressive. By that I mean, the issues he focuses on are (1) more jobs, (2) lower business taxes, (3) entrepreneurship, (4) young people, (5) central cities, (6) positive attitude.

Based on the spirit of those objectives, I think mass transit fits in well. It is a key to bringing new investment to the state, to keeping and attracting young people, and to improving Michigan's central cities. So, to answer your question, I would be very disappointed with Snyder if he backed away from those objective and mass transit. I hope the opposite is true.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:45 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
I'm curious how this will be coming about without sharing the line with freight trains. Currently there aren't a lot of freight trains using the line but there still are some. Will new tracks be constructed alongside the existing right-of-way?
Quote:
The stretch of rail between Kalamazoo and Dearborn are traditionally the slowest portion with most delays because freight and passenger trains are intermingled and tracks converge into a single line at one point.

The funding announcement didn’t specify what the money would pay for, but it’s believed to be funding to construct new sidings and signals.
Michigan high-speed rail corridor gets $150 million federal boost - Crain's Detroit Business - Detroit News and Information

So, it sounds like they will put in a second set of tracks (siding) where there is only a single set of tracks now.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:08 PM

336 posts, read 908,329 times
I've only been to Chicago one time, but was awstruck by the variety and availablity of public transit. I would definately use public transportation if it were more readily available. I'd love it if Michigan (at least the major cities) was a place where a car is optional (if not outright inconvenient) not a necessity.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
I've only been to Chicago one time, but was awstruck by the variety and availablity of public transit. I would definately use public transportation if it were more readily available. I'd love it if Michigan (at least the major cities) was a place where a car is optional (if not outright inconvenient) not a necessity.
I heard that the federal transportation projects that have been planned might get scrapped by the new legislature. I really hope that the Chicago-Detroit rail line slips past the chopping block. I think it would be a major setback for Michigan and the greater Detroit region if this project doesn't happen. I'm all for cutting government spending, but there are far better ways to accomplish fiscal reform than wholesale slashing of all pending infrastructure projects. I will really be upset if the feds can this rail line, and then throw a bunch of money at building more highways and roads, like they are talking about. That is a poor use of funds given the expected price increase of gasoline, and a short-sighted political maneuver. Among many other things, Michigan really needs to get up to speed as far as transit goes if we are ever to be a competitive state.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:26 AM

336 posts, read 908,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
I heard that the federal transportation projects that have been planned might get scrapped by the new legislature. I really hope that the Chicago-Detroit rail line slips past the chopping block. I think it would be a major setback for Michigan and the greater Detroit region if this project doesn't happen. I'm all for cutting government spending, but there are far better ways to accomplish fiscal reform than wholesale slashing of all pending infrastructure projects. I will really be upset if the feds can this rail line, and then throw a bunch of money at building more highways and roads, like they are talking about. That is a poor use of funds given the expected price increase of gasoline, and a short-sighted political maneuver. Among many other things, Michigan really needs to get up to speed as far as transit goes if we are ever to be a competitive state.
Agreed! If they choose roads and highways over infrastructure projects indicates they are pretty out of touch with what the voters want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit