Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 10:19 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,491,264 times

Advertisements

The Detroit International Riverwalk is a 5.5 mile promenade stretching from the Ambassador Bridge to Belle Isle Park along the Detroit River.

The Riverwalk has many features along it's several-mile stretch, including large-event plazas, a wildlife refuge, several parks, fountains, and amphitheaters, harbors and boat docks, and stunning views of both the Detroit and Windsor skylines. Throughout the year, major events and music festivals are held on the Riverwalk and in Hart Plaza. During the summer, GM's RenCen hosts live concerts on the Riverwalk, and in July, the Riverwalk serves as the backdrop for Detroit's Freedom Festival fireworks show. The Riverwalk is also a popular recreation area for walkers, joggers, rollerbladers, and bicyclists.

There are several new projects in the works that will continue to make the Riverwalk more appealing:

• Completion of Dequindre Cut Greenway
A 1.35 mile urban bike path that connects the Riverfront to Eastern Market and several other neighborhoods. Link
  • Completion of Wayne County Port Authority Downtown Wharf
A large wharf that will allow cruise ships, lake-liners, and tall ships to dock along the Riverwalk. Link (http://www.portdetroit.com/econdev/dock/index.htm - broken link)
  • Renovation of Globe Trading Building
A historic warehouse along the Riverwalk is planned to be a sports and recreation center. Link
  • Construction of New Hart Plaza Amphitheater
The City has announced the unused (since 1989) Ford Auditorium in Hart Plaza will replaced by a new amphitheater. Link (http://www.detnews.com/article/20101116/METRO01/11160369/Demolition-of-Ford-Auditorium-to-clear-way-for-amphitheater-in-Hart-Plaza - broken link)

Feel free to add new developments to this list as they are announced. It will be a good way to keep track of things that are happening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 09:00 PM

655 posts, read 2,203,177 times
Have you used the Dequindre Cut ? If so, were there a lot of people there when you were?

Old 11-22-2010, 09:14 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times
Weren't they have supposed to broke ground on the midtown loop that was supposed to connect to the Dequindre Cut?

Old 11-22-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
Have you used the Dequindre Cut ? If so, were there a lot of people there when you were?
I have not been on it yet... after I finally got back to the city after traveling all summer, my bike broke down the first day I took it out! I still haven't gotten around to getting it fixed, and now that winter's here, might as well wait until spring.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Weren't they have supposed to broke ground on the midtown loop that was supposed to connect to the Dequindre Cut?
Construction on Phase I began back in April and is supposed to be completed this Fall. Midtown Loop | m-bike.org. I'm not sure if it's on schedule. Construction on Phase II is supposed to start this Fall, again, I'm not sure if it has begun or not. Campus Alternative Transportation Map - Welcome. I know that they are also still working on the Cut, at least they were over the summer- fixing the overpasses or something...

Old 11-22-2010, 09:47 PM

655 posts, read 2,203,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
I have not been on it yet... after I finally got back to the city after traveling all summer, my bike broke down the first day I took it out! I still haven't gotten around to getting it fixed, and now that winter's here, might as well wait until spring.
That's how it usually work.

I wish they'd opened it a few years before. I would have worn it out.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:53 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,985 times
Is there a lot of housing around this riverwalk? I would think luxury condos would do very well if people could live there and walk along the trail.

Are there vendors along the walk too? I was at a Caribbean festival a few years back and walked a good part of it. I saw a lot of people on it, but no place to buy a frozen lemonade, etc. I would think they could make a killing on a hot weekend.

I loved the Riverwalk, I walked it a lot when I was working in the RenCen. Lets hope Detroit capitalizes on it and makes it work. Although they have the beautiful river right there and haven't been able to do much with it until a few years ago.

If they can pull it off, this would be a great way to spend a day.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
Is there a lot of housing around this riverwalk? I would think luxury condos would do very well if people could live there and walk along the trail.

Are there vendors along the walk too? I was at a Caribbean festival a few years back and walked a good part of it. I saw a lot of people on it, but no place to buy a frozen lemonade, etc. I would think they could make a killing on a hot weekend.

I loved the Riverwalk, I walked it a lot when I was working in the RenCen. Lets hope Detroit capitalizes on it and makes it work. Although they have the beautiful river right there and haven't been able to do much with it until a few years ago.

If they can pull it off, this would be a great way to spend a day.
There are condos along the Detroit River, but most were built prior to the actual "Riverwalk" being constructed. There was a plan to build a large condo/shopping/recreation complex along the completed Riverwalk, which is why Mayor Dennis Archer seized all of "Rivertown" (an area just east of downwtown known for its old blues bars) through eminent domain. However, the project was initially delayed, and then when the economy collapsed, the plan was scrapped and all we have now are a lot of abandoned buildings. I'm sure a new plan will manfiest in the next few years, it was just a dissapointment (a) because Rivertown was a very neat area with a lot of history and great watering holes, e.g. the Soup Kitchen, and (b) because the development plans fell through.

To answer your other question, there are no vendors on the Riverwalk. I think that they are barred from that area. Downtown only allows certain food carts near office buildings. The rest of Detroit's street vendors are by Eastern Market, who sell stuff on Saturdays on an elevated walkway.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:57 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
To answer your other question, there are no vendors on the Riverwalk. I think that they are barred from that area. Downtown only allows certain food carts near office buildings. The rest of Detroit's street vendors are by Eastern Market, who sell stuff on Saturdays on an elevated walkway.

Thanks FS. I think that is a silly rule. As long as the vendors are tasteful and offer refreshments, I think they would be appreciated by people that walk the Riverwalk. Who wouldn't want to go to the riverfront and have an ice cream cone or a hot dog?

I'm against T-shirt vendors or anything else for that matter, just refreshments.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:12 PM

Just found this online: Crain's guide to Detroit waterfront living

It is an interactive map of all of the places to live on the Riverfront along E. Jefferson. I'm not sure when this map was created, but a few of the developments shown as artist renderings were never completed as the plans fell through when the real estate market tanked. Not sure if/when these developments will be revived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: