Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 05:13 PM

6 posts, read 21,082 times

Advertisements

Hello,

As the thread title states, I am a recent graduate (21 yo) and will be working for Ford in Dearborn starting this fall. I am looking for advice on where to look for a place to live. I will be living by myself so I'm looking for an apartment or a loft. A downtown scene with bars and such would be nice. I haven't ruled out downtown Detroit but think I would prefer a suburb. From what I've seen in the forums so far, I think that the Royal Oak or Ferndale areas would be a good fit.

Specific buildings or apartment complexes would be great since it seems there are so many even after narrowing it down to a particular city or area.

I will likely be going to a climbing gym in either Pontiac or Ann Arbor (depending on which one I end up closer to) several times a week so proximity to those would be nice (i.e. RO is about halfway between Dearborn and Pontiac). Having a cycling friendly town would be nice as well - I don't mean bike paths by this but rather that it is easy to hop on the road and go for a ride (I would imagine this would be tough in dt detroit).

Any input would really be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 08:45 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Congrats on the Ford gig. What is your budget? That will help drive some recommendations.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:34 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
If you are looking to go out regularly and party like you are still in college, Royal Oak/Ferndale, Downtown or Ann Arbor* are the practical places for you. Ann Arbor is easy to get out on open roads. I lived in a rural area and rode my bike to Ann Arbor every day during one summer. 90% of the trip was on nice open roads with almost no traffic.

Ann Arbor is not a terrible commute to Dearborn and it is very close to your gym in Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor is somewhat geared toward bicycling.

Plymouth* is another decent choice. Not as fun. More of a grown up atmosphere, but a nice little downtown.

Hines Park is a nice place to ride bikes, there is a bike route along the 275 as well. Parts of it were under construciton recently, not sure whether they are finsihed.

South Lyon* has a rails to trails route.

You also may want to consider:
Northville*
Novi
Dearborn
Grosse Ile*
Wyandotte*
Grosse Pointe(s)
Farmington*
Walled Lake*

RO is probably ideal for you except the bicycling issue. It is not the place to hop on a road for a nice long ride. You are better off getting out away from the 6 and 4 lane roads for riding. Paved Country roads are ideal. The better places for this IMO are marked * The towns I marked are reaoanably easy or extremely easy to get through town and out onto country roads that do nto have a ton of traffic. The ones not marked, I woudl not ride mike bike there, but all of them have outlying areas where riding would be pleasant.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Congrats on the Ford gig. What is your budget? That will help drive some recommendations.
Thanks. Guess I should have included that - probably no more than $1300/month. Specific building recommendations based on that would be outstanding.

I thought of another question - I was looking at lofts in dt RO and a lot of them seemed to only be open to buying rather than renting (i.e. 6 figure prices rather than 4). Is this common for the area?

Old 06-29-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If you are looking to go out regularly and party like you are still in college, Royal Oak/Ferndale, Downtown or Ann Arbor* are the practical places for you. Ann Arbor is easy to get out on open roads. I lived in a rural area and rode my bike to Ann Arbor every day during one summer. 90% of the trip was on nice open roads with almost no traffic.
Ann Arbor is not a terrible commute to Dearborn and it is very close to your gym in Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor is somewhat geared toward bicycling.
Plymouth* is another decent choice. Not as fun. More of a grown up atmosphere, but a nice little downtown.
Hines Park is a nice place to ride bikes, there is a bike route along the 275 as well. Parts of it were under construciton recently, not sure whether they are finsihed.
South Lyon* has a rails to trails route.
You also may want to consider:
Northville*
Novi
Dearborn
Grosse Ile*
Wyandotte*
Grosse Pointe(s)
Farmington*
Walled Lake*

RO is probably ideal for you except the bicycling issue. It is not the place to hop on a road for a nice long ride. You are better off getting out away from the 6 and 4 lane roads for riding. Paved Country roads are ideal. The better places for this IMO are marked * The towns I marked are reaoanably easy or extremely easy to get through town and out onto country roads that do nto have a ton of traffic. The ones not marked, I woudl not ride mike bike there, but all of them have outlying areas where riding would be pleasant.
Thanks for the info CJ - sounds like you know what I meant about cycling, that's great advice on those cities. I guess I hadn't really looked at that for RO yet but it does look like the only way to get out from cities is straight NW.

I hadn't considered Ann Arbor at all since it is so far from Dearborn. I'm not sure I would want to drive 40 mins to work everyday, but I'll check it out.

Any advice on how to search for specific apartment complexes besides just online? Sometimes the info is rather lacking. I will be going up there at some point before I start working to look at places, not sure when yet.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:40 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
In Ferndale, I would check out Urbane at Breckenridge and the Lofts on Nine Mile

In Royal Oak, Station 3 Lofts and all the buildings around 11 Mile/Main are nice.

What I did when I was looking for an apartment in Royal Oak (and you might consider) is posting an ad under the "Housing Wanted" Section of Craigslist. You list the type of property you want (e.g. loft style, exposed brick, balcony whatever and the price (e.g. 1,000). Then property owners/loft complexes will email you with units they have available. I found it much easier/helpful - because people were emailing you directly with properties that were available rather than you having to go on a wild goose chase emailing listings and hoping for a response.

You'll be able to rent an entire house in Ferndale for 900-1,300 if you want. Royal Oak for that price will also get you an entire bungalow style homes as well if you dont' want a building and want to have a fire pit in the backyard, BBQ's etc. Given the lack of popularity in renting, you might find greater selection in single family homes.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
In Ferndale, I would check out Urbane at Breckenridge and the Lofts on Nine Mile

In Royal Oak, Station 3 Lofts and all the buildings around 11 Mile/Main are nice.

What I did when I was looking for an apartment in Royal Oak (and you might consider) is posting an ad under the "Housing Wanted" Section of Craigslist. You list the type of property you want (e.g. loft style, exposed brick, balcony whatever and the price (e.g. 1,000). Then property owners/loft complexes will email you with units they have available. I found it much easier/helpful - because people were emailing you directly with properties that were available rather than you having to go on a wild goose chase emailing listings and hoping for a response.

You'll be able to rent an entire house in Ferndale for 900-1,300 if you want. Royal Oak for that price will also get you an entire bungalow style homes as well if you dont' want a building and want to have a fire pit in the backyard, BBQ's etc. Given the lack of popularity in renting, you might find greater selection in single family homes.
Thanks - I've checked out the Urbane apartments online, some of them look pretty good. I've looked at a couple of the lofts as well, although a lot of times they just have photos online.

Great advice for craigslist - I will give that a shot.

Hadn't really thought of a house either - will give it a look.

I don't start working until the end of september. When would be about the right time to actively pursue listings? I would think that right now is too early (unless the listing shows an opening in sept. of course).

Old 06-29-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden30 View Post
Any advice on how to search for specific apartment complexes besides just online? Sometimes the info is rather lacking. I will be going up there at some point before I start working to look at places, not sure when yet.

Sorry, I despise apartment complexes and would only consider living in one if there were no campsites avialable and/or I did not have a tent. Just a matter of personal preference, but I would rent a house, loft, granny flat, trailer, back seat of a car,or even a campsite before I woudl choose to live in a big aparment complex again. Thus, I cannot be of any assistance in selecting one.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Sorry, I despise apartment complexes and would only consider living in one if there were no campsites avialable and/or I did not have a tent. Just a matter of personal preference, but I would rent a house, loft, granny flat, trailer, back seat of a car,or even a campsite before I woudl choose to live in a big aparment complex again. Thus, I cannot be of any assistance in selecting one.
I mistyped. What I meant to say is any advice on how to search for houses, loft buildings, etc. besides just online. Belleisle's recommendation of posting on craigslist was good - I had only thought of using that for looking at specific properties.

I've already had more than enough tent camping this summer

Old 07-02-2012, 09:19 AM

My method was always just drive around and look for signs. That is how I always found the best places for the price. THere are brokers who specialize in rentals. IN Ann Arbor, there are boards at the UNiversity where they advertise rentals.

Word of moth is usually a good source. Go to a local church and ask around, or maybe a gym.

The Michigan Government is distributing talking urinal cakes - maybe you cna ask one of them for advice on finding a place, just go to a bar, have a few drinks and go to the bathroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit