Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 15,999 times

Advertisements

Hi-
We are considering moving to the metro Detroit area from Boston. We have been steered toward Birmingham because of the school system, but I have been reading a lot of good things on this board about Royal Oak. Any comments on similarities/differences between these 2 communities? How do the schools compare between these 2 cities? Thanks for any thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 07:25 PM

734 posts, read 2,616,641 times
Both are overpriced and overrated.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:01 AM

418 posts, read 1,784,599 times
I like both areas, but I'm pretty new here, so I don't think I can give a valid opinion. I've heard that the schools are better in Birmingham, though.

Also, you will get TONS of negative comments on this board. For some reason, many people on here are super negative. Try to ignore those and utilize the useful comments. I think JeffandCandice will probably have some good information, as I think he lives in Royal Oak (or right around there).

Good luck with your move!

Old 07-29-2007, 11:53 AM

4,516 posts, read 5,090,184 times
I'm not a Detroiter, but I've visited these towns and have friends who live in both. The 2 of them are probably the leading walking-district/entertainment areas of the entire Detroit metro area. Birmingham is further out (about 18 miles from dowtown Detroit. It's got a ton of upscale shops, restaurants and live entertaiment, plus a classic old-style movie theatre. Birmingham is preppier, more upscale and a bit more homegeneous (as in whiter) than Royal Oak.

Royal Oak is closer to Detroit (about 14 miles from downtown). It's far more diverse, laid back and liberal than Birmingham, racially and sex-orientation-wise: it (and neighbor to the south, Ferndale) is considered among the most gay-friendly area in the Detroit metro area. Royal Oak is also denser and busier than Birmingham and includes a growing number of high-rise condos.

While downtown Detroit is growing, Royal Oak probably has it beat in terms of evening/weekend entertainment activity.

As for residential housing: Birmingham has RO beat hands down; Birmingham is upper middle to upper class. Royal Oak is more middle to upper middle. I'm not all that impressed with houses in RO, for the most part; many are just country style frame bungaloes and even ranchers. RO even has some dirt roads near its downtown core -- I don't get it, that's a kinda Detroit thing in a number of burbs. B-ham has upscale condos (downtown), mcmansions and just plain mansions and estates.

Birmingham schools have a rep as among the tops in the State. I'm less sure about RO's although I've heard they're pretty good, but not in B-ham's class.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:04 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I'm not a Detroiter, but I've visited these towns and have friends who live in both. The 2 of them are probably the leading walking-district/entertainment areas of the entire Detroit metro area. Birmingham is further out (about 18 miles from dowtown Detroit. It's got a ton of upscale shops, restaurants and live entertaiment, plus a classic old-style movie theatre. Birmingham is preppier, more upscale and a bit more homegeneous (as in whiter) than Royal Oak.

Royal Oak is closer to Detroit (about 14 miles from downtown). It's far more diverse, laid back and liberal than Birmingham, racially and sex-orientation-wise: it (and neighbor to the south, Ferndale) is considered among the most gay-friendly area in the Detroit metro area. Royal Oak is also denser and busier than Birmingham and includes a growing number of high-rise condos.

While downtown Detroit is growing, Royal Oak probably has it beat in terms of evening/weekend entertainment activity.

As for residential housing: Birmingham has RO beat hands down; Birmingham is upper middle to upper class. Royal Oak is more middle to upper middle. I'm not all that impressed with houses in RO, for the most part; many are just country style frame bungaloes and even ranchers. RO even has some dirt roads near its downtown core -- I don't get it, that's a kinda Detroit thing in a number of burbs. B-ham has upscale condos (downtown), mcmansions and just plain mansions and estates.

Birmingham schools have a rep as among the tops in the State. I'm less sure about RO's although I've heard they're pretty good, but not in B-ham's class.
This poster has it pretty much right on. I live in RO and it's much more affordable and middle class than B'ham. B'ham is nicer and skews more upper class but is generally much more expensive than RO, and taxes are much more as well. B'ham schools are indeed tops, although RO's are good as well--just not AS good.

While I'll agree that B'hams neighborhoods are generally nicer, there are neighborhoods nearly as nice or as nice in RO that you get for much less money and taxes. While many of the houses are smaller, most are well-kept and full of charm and character, and situated on tree-lined streets. As far as dirt roads go, I'll admit it seems odd in such an urban area, but there are only a few that I've seen--the vast, great majority are paved.

This is a great area--IMO, you can't go wrong by living in Pleasant Ridge, Royal Oak, B'ham, Berkley, Huntington Woods, or most of Ferndale. Regarding the latter, especially check out the northwest side. Good luck!

Old 07-30-2007, 02:52 PM

34 posts, read 165,888 times
i'd say it depends on your age and income. If you are married w/ kids and wealthy, I would go with Birmingham or Bloomfield Hills. The schools are excellent and there is a very low crime rate. Birmingham has a wonderful downtown, but it is dominated w/ the Gap's, Border's and other corporations. Stuff wealthy white republicans like. Rochester Hills and Troy are other upper-middle class "family friendly" areas that have great hospitals, schools, roads, etc. But of course it all co$ts more...

Royal Oak is younger (20s to mid-30s). Due to this fact, the schools in RO are not nearly as good. If you have young kids then the schools are fine, but the high schools do not compare to B'Ham, Troy or Rochester Hills. Since RO is younger it is more liberal and "open minded" in many ways. RO also has great access to all the major roads and you can get anywhere in metro D pretty quickly.

That said, I hope you have a great job lined up, or work for the government. The layoffs, mergers/acquisitions are making this area very depressing lately. Since you are looking at B'ham and RO, I am assuming you will have a white collar job, so you will not be hit as hard as the others. But, in time taxes will go up and the cost of living will increase despite the worsening quality of life. Our single state recession is expected to last until 2014.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:48 AM

2 posts, read 15,999 times
Thanks for all the helpful comments. We do have 2 school-age kids, middle school and kindergarten, so the schools are pretty important to us. I fear we may be a bit old for RO (in our 40s...) but will definitely take a look when we come out to check out possible homes. Thanks!!

Old 08-01-2007, 12:49 PM

4 posts, read 30,369 times
Birmingham has wonderful schools, but the housing is expensive. I recommend Farmington Hills - great schools, close to lots of shopping and family-friendly places, nice houses for the money, and friendly people in your age bracket. I know of a home that may be for sale very soon - an updated colonial in a pretty neighborhood.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:14 PM

4,516 posts, read 5,090,184 times
I think both towns, great though they are, would be even greater if connected to Detroit by some form of rapid or commuter rail... I guess, though, they're success shows they neither need nor, perhaps, want Detroit anyway. A shame.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 9,890 times
HI,

We are from MI but lived in Boston for 7 years. If you have children, I would suggest Beverly Hills or Bingham Farms...we live in Beverly Hills and love it. Better home prices and Birmingham schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit