Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 10:28 PM

30 posts, read 79,179 times

Advertisements

Evening everybody,

My name's Peter, I moved to Ferndale in 2003. I came here because of my heritage - I'm Polish American, and I felt cut off from my culture in the wealthy suburb of Bremerton, Washington where I grew up.

I've lived in two houses in the city of Ferndale and one in Hazel Park - the first Ferndale home was a couple blocks off of 8 Mile south of Spencer and down the street from the railroad tracks, which wasn't a fun experience. I was pretty discouraged when I found out how bad that section was.

I was about to pack up and leave, I had 6 months left on my rent contract, I commuted through Detroit to get to work, and I wasn't making much money. I didn't like hearing car doors slam or the neighbors outside talking in the driveway at 2 in the morning three feet from my bedroom window. I didn't like honking at the kids playing basketball in the street when I was trying to leave to go to work.

In the final 2 months of living in the first house I found a job offer for an office in Farmington Hills. I looked at homes in Farmington Hills and they were all much more expensive than homes in Ferndale.

I ended up staying with a friend in Hazel Park near Felker Park for one year until I purchased a new home. It was better than the first house by a long shot: it was quieter, it wasn't a normal sight to see the police at someone's house, not so many car alarms going off.

It was a nicer neighborhood than the first house, but what struck me was when I bought the third and current house near Mapledale Park in Ferndale it was even nicer than the Hazel Park neighborhood. But it looked almost the exact same

Which leads me to my question

Why is Ferndale nicer than Hazel Park?

Ferndale has a better Downtown, higher property values, bigger parks, Ferndale's people make more money. But Hazel Park is like the exact same city almost. And from what I heard the hazel park school district is much much better than Ferndale schools

Did Ferndale do something better than Hazel Park did? Or didn't do? Is it just a question of location? Ferndale gets all sortsa hype for being a nice walkable town and all HP gets are cheap redneck jokes that aren't even funny.

I just wanna know what the difference is - not statistics or any of that. Were they as similar as they are before I moved here or did they used to be different? Because Im lost here as to how two simlar cities can be so different in peoples eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 12:25 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,932,267 times
Being on the north Woodward corridor could have something to do with it. MO

Old 09-11-2011, 12:42 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,596,557 times
One reason was that Ferndale was always more busy than HP. Woodward was always full of traffic that was going in and out of Detroit. I don't think HP ever had that much activity so it ended up just being a sleepy town.

Ferndale compared to Hazel Park.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:46 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,932,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
One reason was that Ferndale was always more busy than HP. Woodward was always full of traffic that was going in and out of Detroit. I don't think HP ever had that much activity so it ended up just being a sleepy town.
Ferndale compared to Hazel Park.
As though HP is a "suburb" of Ferndale.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:47 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
That' always the question--Why is one city nicer than the one next to it? I belive it has to do with the "politics" and what is allowed to take place within a city. Same reason come cities (I will not name names) were once great residential / commercial epicenters and are presently just decaying masses of buildings and rapidly declining population(s).

The politics seem to set the trend for an area / city. When politics become shady and no longer focused on the people, the city begins to loose ground. This is usually seen in the decisions the leaders make regarding business and commercial entities. The leaders work back room deals for businesses to have tax breaks or preferential locations in a land grab. Sometimes they even allow a destructive business (think Incenerator and the suburban DEEP WELL INJECTION).
The citizens, wanting to believe in their choosen leaders, relax a bit and unwillingly (at least initially) accept their leaders foolish decisions. Eventually, the people refuse to acknowledge the king has no clothes and actually resort to defending their leaders for fear they look foolish. The people begin to rationalize their leaders self-serving choices--even going so far as to call those who would critize their leaders traitors and haters.

One day the people look around and relief is no longer in sight. The people gather round the grocery stores, resturants, and bars and all take up the chant---

"It's better the devil you know, than the devil you don't."

A variance of this chat goes like this---

"So what if it is a insert any environmentally destructive operation here, they say it is safe or else they wouldn't build it. Besides it will bring jobs to the city."

Old 09-11-2011, 06:03 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,904,309 times
I don't think Ferndale is all that nice, either. There are streets that are lovely (and houses still go for over $200K) but the majority of the city is Hazel Park but with a better name, and Hazel Park is little more than south Warren but with less industry and better streetscaping (and also falls under Oakland County's halo). Without Woodward, Ferndale would be nothing. Ferndale also has a fairly large homosexual population and the name "Fashionable Ferndale."

I've never heard of Hazel Park's schools actually being good, it's just that the Ferndale schools also serve Royal Oak Township and a portion of Oak Park (and also Pleasant Ridge).

Old 09-11-2011, 11:25 AM

Doesnt seem fair comparing it to south Warren. The first place I was gonna rent here was in the Ryan and 9 Mile area until I found out how much crime and how many trailer parks were in that neighborhood. Lucky for me the landlord had more than one house and he showed me the house in Ferndale by 8 Mile, I'd still much rather live in that house than I would the house in Warren even though I was not very happy in that situation.

Anyway the theory about Woodward makes sense to me. Theres not many attractions at all in Hazel Park besides the race track and mini golf so Id imagine people who visit Ferndale and have a good time there would have more positive to say about it.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:37 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,596,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
That' always the question--Why is one city nicer than the one next to it? I belive it has to do with the "politics" and what is allowed to take place within a city. Same reason come cities (I will not name names) were once great residential / commercial epicenters and are presently just decaying masses of buildings and rapidly declining population(s).

I understand what you mean, but I don't think Ferndale and HP have that type of relationship. One city just happens to attract different types of people based on its location and what makes the city attractive to people. Interestingly, Ferndale is apart of "the Woodward5". HP doesn't really have any significant cultural attractions that easily come to mind. (Just thought of the horse race track!)

Woodward5

Old 09-11-2011, 12:06 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,988 times
You don't want to hear the noise of people? Sounds like you should go back to Bremerton.

If you want Polish American culture you better be ready for slamming car doors and shouting at 2 AM under the influence of drinking... I lived with a Polish family in Detroit for a while.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:43 PM

I'm actually pretty contempt with where I live now in Ferndale. Besides some traffic noise from being close to both 75 and 696 its pretty quiet. But the highway is a good thing regard less because it's a quick way to Hamtramck and Troy where all the Polish culture is actually at. That's all I want is to be near some Polish culture, not next door to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit