Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 11:04 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Yet Detroit has been "edging" out other cities for the past 30 years (in some cases by leaps and bounds).
You don't see a problem with that?
I'm saying that there is a problem nationwide which needs addressing. Bashing a single city is just self-indulgent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 10:33 AM

6 posts, read 9,861 times
I used to live in south warren only four blocks from east side of Detroit since i was a lil tot anyway when i was a teen and so on i'd sit on the front porch and try ta guess what guns were bein shot at each other, constantly hearing bangbangbang, boom boom at night time mostly

Old 10-07-2011, 01:54 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potomiss View Post
I used to live in south warren only four blocks from east side of Detroit since i was a lil tot anyway when i was a teen and so on i'd sit on the front porch and try ta guess what guns were bein shot at each other, constantly hearing bangbangbang, boom boom at night time mostly
lmao you probably lived 4 blocks from the 48205... it's supposed to be the deadliest zip code in Detroit

Old 10-08-2011, 12:45 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
I'm saying that there is a problem nationwide which needs addressing.
Fair enough.

But the point was that problem is worst here, and just because it's the same problem nationwide doesn't mean we should ignore the fact that we being impacted the worst with the problem. That's a textbook "burying your head in the sand" reaction. Instead we need to strive to not be the worst.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:49 PM

530 posts, read 1,551,558 times
On lists like these it's never good to show in the top 10 let alone the number one spot.

Flint is on the list too. Michigan is trashed.

Michigan may be beyond repair - only state in the union losing population.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:26 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmax View Post
On lists like these it's never good to show in the top 10 let alone the number one spot.

Flint is on the list too. Michigan is trashed.

Michigan may be beyond repair - only state in the union losing population.

You just might be correct...but I would say that it is Wayne County that is beyond repair..not sure why Flint is still drowning?

My wife and I were in Michigan for most of last summer. We stayed almost 5 weeks in Oakland county and another 3 weeks driving across the UP from Wisconsin back across the bridge to Oakland County.
We were amazed at the hustle and bustle of Oakland / Livingston counties. It was so drastically different from Wayne County. In Oakland, people were out and about. Shopping, dining and just generally doing.
Wayne County just felt gloomy and depressed?

Old 10-08-2011, 10:14 PM

544 posts, read 901,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
They are sitting around waiting for a comeback that will never happen.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:03 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Maybe part, but ALL of Wayne County? What about places like Canton, Plymouth, Northville, Farmington Hills, Livonia, the Grosse Pointes, Grosse Ile, parts of Trenton, Dearborn, and Wyandotte? Those areas are all nice, some of them very affluent, and they all seem to be thriving. Most of these cities rival what Oakland County has to offer, with the probable exception of Bloomfield Hills.

I don't think it's necessarily fair to lump all of Wayne County into one cataegory, since it is so diverse.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:13 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
They are sitting around waiting for a comeback that will never happen.
I don't see how people expect an area to get better if they don't put in effort to make it better. Like money is going to fall out of the sky and the government is going to perfect everything. If people really wanted things to be better, I have no doubt they'd find a way to do it. Hell, they spend so much energy complaining about everything.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:20 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Maybe part, but ALL of Wayne County? What about places like Canton, Plymouth, Northville, Farmington Hills, Livonia, the Grosse Pointes, Grosse Ile, parts of Trenton, Dearborn, and Wyandotte? Those areas are all nice, some of them very affluent, and they all seem to be thriving. Most of these cities rival what Oakland County has to offer, with the probable exception of Bloomfield Hills.

I don't think it's necessarily fair to lump all of Wayne County into one cataegory, since it is so diverse.

YNDOT? BASF did that city no favors. Outside of the Arts Festival, does anyone really go to Wyadotte? How are the folks doing on the south side of Ford Avenue? ONe strip along a 2 block wide path down Biddle between Eureka and Ford Avenue does not seem like it can be considered a real revival?
Nor has the abandon McLouth Steel Mill (with 100s of 55 gallon drums of PCBs buried in the north end near Riverview border and the toll bridge) lifted up Trenton. The last time I was in old town downtown Trenton it is not the brightest ray of sunshine. The commercial strip along West Road is so dated in appearance. The best thing Trenton has going is Elizabeth Park.
And that wonderful INJECTION WELL? The one the Detroit Police / Firefighter pensions invested MILLIONS in there on the Romulus and Taylor border? That really brightened everyone's spirit. I hear they are trying (THe pension funds) to open it again as a last ditch effort to recover SOME part the lost millions..my guess is if they can get it licensed again, the pension fund will try to sell it to another unsuspecting investor looking to make a fortune off TOXIC dumping.

And Canton? It seems to have finally SPRAWLED itself into death? Even IKEA was empty the weekend we drove down Ford Road.
Our daughter recently moved to Northville near the Novi border there off Haggerty and Seven Mile. There are a few places / retail areas that looked like they were doing well. But they did not appear as busy as they were just a few years ago when my wife and I were there on a weekly basis.
Because of its location, Plymouth tends to isolate itself from Wayne COunty and is probably thrilled that most people think of it as Washtenaw..Livonia? it is finally losing its Wonder Bread Status. Which is a great thing. For way too long it has been allowed to white-wash the issues related to the I-96 corridor while profiting from the folks who travel that freeway. Plymouth Road is a vast wasteland outside the Middlebelt intersection. To the south, Joy road looks like it hasn't been touched in 15 years. Sure a large crown comes out for the SPREE. But what else is there to do in Livonia? It is trying desperately to SPRAWL, building as many CVS, Riteaides, and Walgreens as humanly possible. Are there any business still open along Victor Parkway? I should mention Schoolcraft Community College is doing GREAT. As millions of the unemployed participate in the worker retraining programs throughout the state, enrollment is at an all time high.

So, since there is one or two areas, I can revise my statement and say 90% of Wayne County just felt gloomy and depressed...it is like a cloud blew into the county a long time ago and just continues growing as it is settled in for the long haul.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 10-09-2011 at 05:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit