Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:10 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You know, I never hear such a line of reasoning when people are talking about out of wedlock births, welfare, crime or the like. People have no problem focusing on the black community, despite these things manifesting in white communities as well.

Ok....you have all the answers. Obviously these things are not happening that you said is the answer and they are not getting better. Thus, why are you averse to a National agenda to helpt things get better?
I'm not adverse to a national agenda to improve the economy. I'm adverse to an agenda that focuses on one group of people. We did that once and got affirmative action. How has that worked out?

Old 01-24-2012, 12:12 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Cities high on the list, including Milwaukee, Detroit, Buffalo, etc., traditionally employed many low-skilled/low-educated people in manufacturing industries. Blacks generally fell into this category. So it should not be to surprising that as manufacturing jobs have been exported, unemployment in these cities and among these groups of people should increase.

Should it be on the national agenda? Yes, but focusing solely on the racial aspect really misses the point. The focus should be on getting lower-skilled/lower-educational-requirement jobs back to the U.S.
I agree with much of this, but all the problem is not related to MFG. Much of the problem is also related to logistic of where racial groups live in relationships to where the jobs are. Most of the jobs are in the suburbs, where the vast majority of whites live. The cities with lowest black employment levels are also among the most segregated cities in America, where the majority of blacks live in the central cities while the majority of jobs are in the suburbs. Without good regional transportation, it becomes much harder to get to jobs 15 to 2 miles away.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:13 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I can't understand why Americans wouldn't want to work 12 hours a day for a total of $10 like the Chinese?
If the products we currently import from China were forced to be made here, the workers making those products would be making typical American factory worker wages.

The solution as I see it is a tariff on imported goods. This is not being discussed on a political level in this country unfortunately. Not to turn this into a political thread, but only Donald Trump has proposed a tariff on Chinese imports. (Santorum has proposed a tax break for manufacturers, which would help some.) But most Americans are oblivious to tariffs, even though up to the institution of income tax in 1913, tariffs accounted for 50% of federal revenue.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:17 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Why should this be a national agenda? Black males should have to go to school and develop skills and get jobs like white males are required to do. What do you propose we do, fire white males and give their jobs to black males?
Hypocrite! If black males do not have jobs then what do you think will happen? + crime in the black community = crowded jails = fatherless children = republicans blame blacks for the societal ills once again.

Come to think of it why is it that when there is high white unemployment it is called a "depression", but when there is high black unemployment it is called a "cultural probelm"?

Old 01-24-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
You know, I never hear such a line of reasoning when people are talking about out of wedlock births, welfare, crime or the like. People have no problem focusing on the black community, despite these things manifesting in white communities as well.
These issues involve personal choice i which people should be held accountable for their actions. But a lack of low-skilled jobs is not a personal choice, but a national choice.

(So I agree with you. )

Old 01-24-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I'm not adverse to a national agenda to improve the economy. I'm adverse to an agenda that focuses on one group of people. We did that once and got affirmative action. How has that worked out?
I don't know why people cannot see that if African Americans had the employment, income and purchasing power, per capita, on par with white America, that total GDP would increase.

I think that half the children under 4 in America are non-white. At some point in time America is going to have to realize that an investment in minorities is an investment in this nations future.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:23 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Why should we focus on the black community? Also, I do have a college education and didn't have a problem finding a job, so I don't need to hear from some intellectual wannabe about who is educated and not. Like I said you go to schools to develop skills. The first step is completing high school. Denby is 99% black and has an attendance rate of 60%. Why do these high school dropouts deserve jobs? What skills could they have possibly developed besides how to run organized crime?
It is called "white priviledge" what about the blacks with good degrees that get passed over and white boys coming out of high school get hired? Your observation of one school in one part of the country does not apply everywhere.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I agree with much of this, but all the problem is not related to MFG. Much of the problem is also related to logistic of where racial groups live in relationships to where the jobs are. Most of the jobs are in the suburbs, where the vast majority of whites live. The cities with lowest black employment levels are also among the most segregated cities in America, where the majority of blacks live in the central cities while the majority of jobs are in the suburbs. Without good regional transportation, it becomes much harder to get to jobs 15 to 2 miles away.
That's true, but the jobs available in the suburbs are not the low-skill jobs that have been exported. They are mid-skill, shall we say. In a major metropolitan city, the low-skill jobs are generally in the inner city, where the poorest and lowest skilled people (including large proportions of blacks) live.

I suppose you could argue that if only we could give these blacks more education and then equal access to mid-skill jobs, that would improve their plot in life. But even then, we would be missing out on a full economy (which includes all skill levels) by eliminating all low-skilled individuals (whether those individuals are black, Hispanics, eastern Europeans, etc.)

Old 01-24-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
These issues involve personal choice i which people should be held accountable for their actions. But a lack of low-skilled jobs is not a personal choice, but a national choice.

(So I agree with you. )
Those issues are the REACTION to national choices and policies over the centuries, predicated upon race. Thus, its no wonder that the fallout or aftermath would reflect differently upon the races.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
That's true, but the jobs available in the suburbs are not the low-skill jobs that have been exported. They are mid-skill, shall we say. In a major metropolitan city, the low-skill jobs are generally in the inner city, where the poorest and lowest skilled people (including large proportions of blacks) live.

I suppose you could argue that if only we could give these blacks more education and then equal access to mid-skill jobs, that would improve their plot in life. But even then, we would be missing out on a full economy (which includes all skill levels) by eliminating all low-skilled individuals (whether those individuals are black, Hispanics, eastern Europeans, etc.)

Thats not true. Most retail are in the suburbs and retail services do not require mid level skill sets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit