Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:24 PM

41 posts, read 244,622 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know more about the elementary schools in Royal Oak or Southfield. I don't understand how they can be good schools if so many are leaving that they have to consolidate. Looking at school districts, I had settled on Troy, but the schools aren't very diverse (majority white). Southfield schools have lower test scores and don't seem very diverse (majority black). I also don't like to look at test scores too much because the school where I live has scores in the 70% range but is a wonderful school. (Lots of parental invoment and very diverse (about 1/3 each C,AA,Latino). Am I just dreaming that I can find a school like the one in my current neighborhood that is racially diverse and a great school in a great neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 12:25 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,301 times
What hospital will you be working with??

My hubby is currently a cheif resident at Henry Ford....he finishes in June as well. We are going to Pittsburgh for a fellowship...
We have some friends from Chicago...that now live here. He is an African American physician as well. PMR maybe...His practice is in St. Claire Shores and they live off of Romeo Plank in a gorgeous home...

so it really depends where you will be working.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:47 PM

418 posts, read 1,784,997 times
We chose West Bloomfield because of its diversity. My neighborhood has all different types of people, which we really like. My daughter also goes to school with AA kids, Chaldean kids, and her best friend is Japanese. I have been very pleased with this area, in that regard.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2008, 07:29 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,152 times
If you're looking to find the upper middle class, they're mostly in Oakland County, the northwester suburbs, in what I like to call the "Lakes Country". However, the Detroit area overall is heavily racially segregated and those areas are predominantly white, though I'd doubt you'd have any problems. I don't know of any neighborhoods or cities that are populated predominantly by black professionals, but perhaps you might consider parts of Southfield, though you'll find mostly older houses (but some large houses here and there).

IMHO, if you're going to be earning a doctor's income, maybe you'd enjoy living in the Lakes Country and having a house on one of the lakes.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:13 PM

10 posts, read 17,753 times
person you want to contact is slattery midtown

look him up great landlord get location for your work -- i think he sells also

Good luck

Old 03-05-2008, 02:03 PM

29 posts, read 98,696 times
DOCMTS2 - what did you decide? I'm curious to know where you ended up, professionally, as well! I hope that if you have moved to the area, that you are loving it and are being treated well. We see so many people leaving the state, that it's refreshing - and no doubt helpful to the economy - when someone moves in. Best of luck to you...

Old 05-21-2008, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,781 times
Default Physician Position

Are you still seeking a physician position? If so please contact me at 815-922-1344. I am looking for a physician to work with the healthcare organization I work for. We can also help you with knowing where to live and where to avoid.

John

Old 10-26-2008, 07:04 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,152 times
I think your best bets are Farmington Hills, Novi, West Bloomfield, and the lakes country--Walled Lake, Wolverine Lake, and Commerce Township.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,659 times
Default Chicago Doctor

We moved here from Chi in 68 to Pontiac and now own a 2 story 4 bedroom 2 car garage on an almost acre wooded, corner lot. We are thinking of selling and moving. We are Afro also and I was born in Hubbard Hospital and would like to help you. This is the best area in the city close to the best hospitals and shops.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:39 PM

5 posts, read 12,777 times
Wow, i am surprised at all the talks of west Bloomfield and the such. those places never tickled me as being diverse in the least bit.

The most diverse place in the state right now is downtown Detroit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit