Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:59 PM

13 posts, read 23,893 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job in Detroit. We currently live a good hour away and are looking to move down that way in about one year, this time next year. We have a list of cities that are on our list to look. When the time comes closer, we will end up ending down there and driving around to see what we like best. However, in the meantime, I would like to get others opinions on these areas.

We want a city that kinda has it all per say. We have two children, and plan to have at least one more, maybe two. Therefore, good schools is number one. My husband and children are very sports oriented and sports is an important aspect in our lives.

We would like a "newer" home. Currently, we live in a 2300sf, 4 bdrm, 3 bath, finished basement house now, built in 1972. Very nice. However, the kitchen or bathrooms are not updated and that is something that we would like for our next home. And, I would love high ceilings and a walk in closet and my husband being 6' 3" would love a tub big enough to bathe in! I do not need that big of a house again, but 4 bedrooms is a must and I definitely do not want a 4 bdrm 1400sf house either. That would just be too cramped. 1800-2000 would be just great.

We like the downtown feel; being able to walk around to restaurants and shopping and to stroll around. We still like to go out every once in a while and have a night on the town with friends as well. Parks and activities for the kids and family are a must too.

In a nut shell, good schools, newer homes/neighborhoods ($215,000 ish), community friendly, activites and parks for the family, and close by shopping and restaurants.

Our cities that I have narrowed it down to are: Berkley, Huntington Woods, West Bloomfield, Farmington Hills, Rochester, Rochester Hills, Royal Oak and Troy and kinda Novi (not too sure on this one) Mind you, I do not know much about these areas except a little school info.

Can I please have opinions based on the criteria above including a decent commute to Detroit for my husband. Right now with traffic, his commute is an hour and 15mins to an hour and a half depending on traffic.

Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 01:19 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Where in Detroit? Many of these cities can still be a lengthy commute based on traffic volume and time of day.

Novi and Farmington Hills being the farthest and possibly longest. I commuted from Brighton to 6 Mile / Woodward and the mornings were pretty good taking 45 minutes. The afternoons, especially after 4:00 pm took anywhere from 70 minutes to 2 hours.

The worse being the 696 stretch from Telegraph to Beck Road.
Coming from Berkley , Huntington Woods, Royal Oak on Woodward would be the shortest and quickest commutes.

The Rochester and Troy commute may be the worse? I-75 is not commuter friendly.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:53 PM

He is OK, with a half hour commute. Hoping to by pass traffic. Traffic at the end of a workday won't be an issue, seeing that his day doesn't end till 7:30pm. Therefore, evenings wont matter. Its the morning rush.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:24 PM

517 posts, read 678,767 times
You have a bit of a problem, because you want both a newer home and a downtown.

The only city in Oakland County with a downtown and lots of newer homes is Birmingham, and that's the most expensive housing market in the state.

Places like Novi, Lyon Township, Oakland Township, Rochester Hills, and Orion Township have the new homes.

Places like Royal Oak, Ferndale, Birmingham, Rochester, and Northville (which is in both Oakland and Wayne) have the downtowns.

In short, it's easy to have one or the other, but not both.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:25 PM

OK, well then, lets say....an updated home. Would that help?

Old 06-27-2013, 02:26 PM

And it doesn't have to be right in downtown, but close enough that we don't have to travel 15 mins to get to restaurants, shopping and downtown.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:22 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,634 times
You are priced out of Novi for what you listed. $215 won't get you 1800 - 2000 square feet.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:56 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,865,089 times
Have you checked out the real estate sites, like Realtor.com or Zillow? You might find them helpful in comparing prices for homes.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:41 AM

915 posts, read 1,505,924 times
Houses in that price range go fast in Rochester Hills. However, Rochester Hills surrounds Rochester which has the "cute downtown" and there's no shortage of shopping in the area. Tons of family/sports activities, parks. Good schools. Very family oriented. My problem is deciding what to do, not if there's something to do. Both cities share a lot of services. Oakland Twp would be a bit much for the commute, but also shares services w/the Rochesters.

You need to check boundary lines for the schools though. Rochester schools are better than Avondale. However, South of 59 is where you get more bang for your housing dollar. However, Rochester schools is not a school choice district (FYI). So, you can't move into Avondale district (where housing is cheaper), then decide you want a spot in Rochester schools.

Avondale district covers parts of Troy/Auburn Hills/Pontiac/Rochester Hills.

Troy doesn't have a downtown and is really just boring. (IMO) However, like Rochester, people move into Troy because of the schools. (Again, remember to pay attention to where school boundary lines are).

Royal Oak/Berkeley/Birmingham might be good fits. Berkeley/B'ham/West Bloomfield all have excellent schools. B'ham has the downtown, but I'm not sure what you'd find for housing in your price range.

West Bloomfield has the same problem as Rochester Hills. Right priced houses are snatched up fast. If a house has been on the market for a while, then there's either something drastically wrong with the house or the price.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:46 AM

Thanks! As of now, Berkley and Rochester/Hills and WB are our top. We still have a year to do our research and make our decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit