Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:56 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,184,524 times

Advertisements

Armed Detroit residents turn guns on criminals three times in seven days | MLive.com

Quote:
Detroit Police Chief James Craig says armed, law-abiding citizens could deter crime in the city.
Seems to me that in the past, police chiefs in general were overwhelmingly against citizens "taking matters into their own hands." Is this indicative of a sea change?

Personally as a fairly crunchy liberal I've never seen what the big deal is with law-abiding people owning guns for any legal reason, be it hunting, self-defense, collecting or whatever. Each of these stories - especially the armed mom who drove off three armed teenage thugs trying to break into her home - made me feel thankful that there are people who take personal responsibility for protecting their property and families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 07:09 PM

546 posts, read 904,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Armed Detroit residents turn guns on criminals three times in seven days | MLive.com

Seems to me that in the past, police chiefs in general were overwhelmingly against citizens "taking matters into their own hands." Is this indicative of a sea change?

Personally as a fairly crunchy liberal I've never seen what the big deal is with law-abiding people owning guns for any legal reason, be it hunting, self-defense, collecting or whatever. Each of these stories - especially the armed mom who drove off three armed teenage thugs trying to break into her home - made me feel thankful that there are people who take personal responsibility for protecting their property and families.
Make sure you don't miss the first time unless you are sure you can hold your own in a shootout.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:29 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,998,499 times
Chiroptera, Maybe you could say desperate times call for desperate measures in reference to Chief Craig's stance on law-abiding folks having a gun available if need be. The Detroit cop saying we don't have anymore patience with criminals in this city, and I'm sure they do really feel that way. Now if only the justice system felt the same way and stopped giving out slap on the wrist punishments. Whatever sentence they get they serve about half of it unless they really mess up inside. I wonder what kind of punishment the 3 teens will get that broke into the woman's home? In another article I read, "Two teens face charges, and a third is out on bond". That's nice isn't it? You can bet they will be back out of the revolving door and doing the same things. Too bad she didn't kill all of them. Lucky she was able to protect herself and her family. Sad neighborhoods are being held hostage by these scum bag punks.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:07 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,717,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Chiroptera, Maybe you could say desperate times call for desperate measures in reference to Chief Craig's stance on law-abiding folks having a gun available if need be. The Detroit cop saying we don't have anymore patience with criminals in this city, and I'm sure they do really feel that way. Now if only the justice system felt the same way and stopped giving out slap on the wrist punishments. Whatever sentence they get they serve about half of it unless they really mess up inside. I wonder what kind of punishment the 3 teens will get that broke into the woman's home? In another article I read, "Two teens face charges, and a third is out on bond". That's nice isn't it? You can bet they will be back out of the revolving door and doing the same things. Too bad she didn't kill all of them. Lucky she was able to protect herself and her family. Sad neighborhoods are being held hostage by these scum bag punks.
I can't believe one of those "kids" is out on bond - on the video, you can see one of them going back for a gun that was dropped when they first started running away - if the homeowner hadn't *kept* shooting, it's entirely possible that gun would have been used against her and her kids (who aren't armed felons!).

I'm not sure how you can have a legal system where a big bag of weed = life without parole, but joining in on an armed home invasion (and being caught on video!) = bail. Now this homeowner has to try to sleep at night while this (accused) armed-home-invading felon awaits trial? For at least the next six months - or a year - this guy is walking the streets..

Old 03-05-2014, 07:48 AM

21,211 posts, read 19,821,421 times
Too bad that lady has a bad aim.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:20 AM

106 posts, read 155,978 times
Very beautiful story. This was better than reading Romeo and Juliet

Old 03-05-2014, 09:07 AM

836 posts, read 1,665,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
Make sure you don't miss the first time unless you are sure you can hold your own in a shootout.
Thugs are cowards; have you watched the videos? When the first opposing shot is fired they are to the wind!

Highly unlikely bangers who kill babies in drive-bys are gonna stand tall and shoot it out Old West style.

Brave, armed citizens are the only defense against tyranny.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:27 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,947,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Yep, these punks are basically children who know nothing of the world. Ignorant and self-centered adolescents armed with guns and knowledge of light punishment even if caught - I mean what could possibly go wrong?

The DPD used to have PR officers who would talk to community groups, and tell them that A) protecting people from crime is basically impossible and B) the system can only punish after the fact, but on the other hand, C) you are not permitted to take matters into your own hands and you yourself could be in big trouble with the law if you harm an intruder or attacker. Yeah, I attended such a meeting years ago.
What kind of a message is that?? Well, the consequence of such a policy is that it makes then DPD almost complicit, and the citizen virtually powerless.
The attitude of DPD was that B&Es were "only property crimes" unless someone was killed, and only then did it become "serious".

Last edited by detwahDJ; 03-05-2014 at 10:56 AM..

Old 03-05-2014, 12:14 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,784,864 times
Detroit is so stony broke, police are so thin on the ground there, and gun laws are so loosey-goosey, what can the police reasonably do? Wait for the law to change?

Old 03-11-2014, 03:57 PM

170 posts, read 496,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
LMAO!! This is true&.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: