Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 05:44 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,072,391 times

Advertisements

Detroit sees rise in white residents after 60 years | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Glad too see us Younger people are making the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 08:50 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,491,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
Detroit sees rise in white residents after 60 years | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Glad too see us Younger people are making the difference.
This doesn't surprise me. Moving to Detroit has become the thing to do. When I moved to the city a few years ago, the movement had just started, but since that time it has really picked up speed.

As the article points out, it is definitely young people and empty-nesters with open minds. Many of the people coming here are not from the region. I talked to two people on the People Mover yesterday who had recently moved to Detroit, one was from Chicago, the other from NYC. Last week, there was a guy from California that had just moved to Detroit and I overheard him talking on the phone to someone about living here. He was trying to explain that the city was not dead, but that it was 'jumping'.

This forum is evidence that people from all over the country (Houston, LA, etc.) are intrigued by Detroit and are interested in moving here. I think there is a sense of opportunity or "rebirth" that attracts people like a magnet. In Detroit, you can start from scratch.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 AM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
Interesting...

When blacks moved in and whites moved out, whites were accused of being racists and traitors to Detroit.

When whites move in and blacks move out,___________?_____________.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:37 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,608,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Interesting...

When blacks moved in and whites moved out, whites were accused of being racists and traitors to Detroit.

Yeah... I don't think it's quite the same. I think blacks are mostly moving out of terrible, run-down, all-black neighborhoods that are away from downtown. In other words, they are moving away from other blacks. The whites are mostly moving right into the downtown area. I don't think there is any cause and effect here, as far as whites moving in and blacks moving out. The analogy only works if you just look at numbers and don't understand the city's demographics or what is actually happening.

It really is not "white flight" in reverse. Not even close to the same circumstances for either group of people.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,993,530 times
Quote:

It's called gentrification.
I'm assuming the majority of those moving in don't plan on having kids. There is no way i would put my kids in any school related to Detroit. But I think the city has a lot to offer for those without kids.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:42 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,993,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Yeah... I don't think it's quite the same. I think blacks are mostly moving out of terrible, run-down, all-black neighborhoods that are away from downtown. In other words, they are moving away from other blacks.

It's pretty sad when even blacks don't want to live around other blacks.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:49 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,608,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
It's pretty sad when even blacks don't want to live around other blacks.
I probably shouldn't bother responding to this, because it sounds racist, and I shouldn't have to explain why.

Actually, it's probably not that they "don't want to live around other blacks." They might be moving in next to another black family somewhere in the suburbs.

They are probably moving away from a street that has 15 abandoned houses on it, and only three that are occupied (likely by three black families). Probably moving away from a city that lacks services, street lights, jobs, and grocery stores. These THINGS are what they are moving away from.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:15 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,721 times
Lightbulb How About...

Quote:
Interesting...

'Let's give the whites the benefit of the doubt'...being black, I've heard just about every negative thing thrown back and forth concerning the state of Detroit, both here on CD and in the offline world, for quite some time now..

If whites, or blacks, or whomever, are returning to Detroit to try to make a difference or a positive statement, then I say 'more power to them', and less labels being thrown about...but that's just my take on it

Old 09-29-2010, 01:48 PM

170 posts, read 496,326 times
Quote:
I probably shouldn't bother responding to this, because it sounds racist, and I shouldn't have to explain why.

Actually, it's probably not that they "don't want to live around other blacks." They might be moving in next to another black family somewhere in the suburbs.

They are probably moving away from a street that has 15 abandoned houses on it, and only three that are occupied (likely by three black families). Probably moving away from a city that lacks services, street lights, jobs, and grocery stores. These THINGS are what they are moving away from.
Well said and true!!

Old 09-29-2010, 03:08 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
Quote:
IThey are probably moving away from a street that has 15 abandoned houses on it, and only three that are occupied (likely by three black families). Probably moving away from a city that lacks services, street lights, jobs, and grocery stores. These THINGS are what they are moving away from.
They are moving away from the "things" that caused the abandonment and deterioration, the same "thing" that the whites moved away from.

Let me explain it in more simple terms. Whites didn't move away from blacks because of skin color. And whites didn't move away from blacks because of imaginary or perceived shortcoming of black culture. They moved away from the very things that blacks are moving away from - the actual, real, true shortcomings of black culture.

Only difference is that when whites moved, they are accused of moving because of racism, but blacks were moving because of "THINGS".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit