Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 09:40 PM

937 posts, read 2,835,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
It's forcing people to interact and confront their problems for the first time in centuries. Paranoia strikes deep; into your life it will creep. It starts when your always afraid. Young people speaking their minds, their getting so much resistance, it happens all the time. Times are changing my friends...
As the minority population increases, usually so does the crime and blight. 11% is just the give up point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 07:09 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,525,099 times
WAIT A SECOND! I don't see the numbers of whites rising it just means more Blacks left, died or went to a prison outside of Detroit ( sorry but that is a factor) . Its a poorly written story and should say the numbers not the percentages

Old 10-03-2010, 07:15 AM

21,154 posts, read 19,742,228 times
BurstBees, I've witnessed the opposite. When blacks moved into my neighborhood, they actually took better care of their homes than the previous residents, who were elderly white people who did minimal outside maintenance. Old overgrown bushes and weeds were replaced with new landscaping, broken fences were repaired, trash that had been piling up in the backyards was removed, dying trees were cut down, etc.

That's not to say that your claim has no merit whatsoever, just that people should be a little less ignorant than to move out when a little more than one out of 10 houses is occupied by blacks. Most of the blacks that move out of Detroit are fed up with the blight and crime. It is wrong to assume that all people of one race are all alike.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
WAIT A SECOND! I don't see the numbers of whites rising it just means more Blacks left, died or went to a prison outside of Detroit ( sorry but that is a factor) . Its a poorly written story and should say the numbers not the percentages
Refer to post #21 by Chicagoland 60426. But I agree, the author should have included the actual (or estimated, actually) numbers.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:47 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,177,929 times
Pardon me for "busting" in this thread but I found it interesting.

It looks like Detroit (downtown, at least) is in the early stages typical of urban gentrification. Usually the young "starving artists" are first; maybe this is already true although it hasn't been mentioned in this thread. Then the trendy hipsters arrive. Some of those hipsters may turn into married younger professionals. When said younger married couples reach a critical mass that prefer to invest energy in their neighborhood schools - rather than head out to the suburbs - that's when empty-nesters may start to feel comfortable in coming.

Depending on the neighborhood and the city in general, it can take some time to turn things around. I've seen it happen in both Philly and DC. It may take Detroit a longer time to get to that point but I am hopeful and optimistic that it will happen.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:07 AM

937 posts, read 2,835,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
BurstBees, I've witnessed the opposite. When blacks moved into my neighborhood, they actually took better care of their homes than the previous residents, who were elderly white people who did minimal outside maintenance. Old overgrown bushes and weeds were replaced with new landscaping, broken fences were repaired, trash that had been piling up in the backyards was removed, dying trees were cut down, etc.

That's not to say that your claim has no merit whatsoever, just that people should be a little less ignorant than to move out when a little more than one out of 10 houses is occupied by blacks. Most of the blacks that move out of Detroit are fed up with the blight and crime. It is wrong to assume that all people of one race are all alike.
Not all, but a vast majority. People wouldn't move away if the majority took care of homes and behaved. If the teenagers weren't yelling instead of talking while walking down the streets, breaking into homes and cars, robbing people, etc there wouldn't be much worry. If they truly are fed up with the blight and crime from Detroit, then come here and ACT like you want things better.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:29 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Not all, but a vast majority. People wouldn't move away if the majority took care of homes and behaved. If the teenagers weren't yelling instead of talking while walking down the streets, breaking into homes and cars, robbing people, etc there wouldn't be much worry. If they truly are fed up with the blight and crime from Detroit, then come here and ACT like you want things better.
Oh so "a vast majority" of us black people are looting, raping, and pillaging??!!

Sorry but only "a vast majority" of ignorant people will believe such nonsense, I moved out of Detroit primarily because of it's school system no other area has the quality, history, or workmanship of the housing stock of Detroit.

I've known many blacks, I happen to be one myself, please send me a memo in my racial responsibilities; seems I haven't raped, robbed, or looted in 47 years.
What a traitor I am to my race!!

Old 10-03-2010, 10:31 AM

That's true (referring to BurtBee's post). All I'm arguing is that all the increase in minorities in my city has not caused an increase in those undesirable characteristics that you listed.

Has blight increased in Detroit as the minority (i.e. black) population increased? Yes, and much of that can be attributed to the great immigration of poor, uneducated, southern blacks from poverty-stricken crime-ridden southern states during and after WWII. But since then, I think that blacks have stratified socio-economically over time. Many of the more educated, higher income, family oriented blacks live quite comparably with whites and value the same well-kept, peaceful, crime-free neighborhoods. The old stereotypes don't hold water anymore. Many blacks make just as much as whites and have come to value what whites value.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:54 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,492,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Pardon me for "busting" in this thread but I found it interesting.

It looks like Detroit (downtown, at least) is in the early stages typical of urban gentrification. Usually the young "starving artists" are first; maybe this is already true although it hasn't been mentioned in this thread. Then the trendy hipsters arrive. Some of those hipsters may turn into married younger professionals. When said younger married couples reach a critical mass that prefer to invest energy in their neighborhood schools - rather than head out to the suburbs - that's when empty-nesters may start to feel comfortable in coming.

Depending on the neighborhood and the city in general, it can take some time to turn things around. I've seen it happen in both Philly and DC. It may take Detroit a longer time to get to that point but I am hopeful and optimistic that it will happen.
It is happening right now- I would say we're in the middle to late part of the 'starving artist' phase (it varies based on area).

The effects of gentrification are usually both good and bad: Good in the sense that struggling areas are economically boosted; bad in the sense that certain areas become too expensive for many to afford. However, in Detroit's case, gentrification will have few negative consequences because very few people will be "priced out" by rising costs. That's because most areas experiencing rebirth have by-and-large been uninhabited.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:56 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Do you have any proof that the vast majority of African-Americans(especially middle-class African-Americans) exhibit this kind of behavior?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit