Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 03:29 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,865,089 times

Advertisements

Where in metro area is the job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 05:36 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,106,650 times
I moved about 1 1/2 years ago from NOVA to Michigan, but I'm from Michigan. Let's just say that moving to NOVA was a lapse in judgment. LOL

Anyway, when I moved back, I found apartments for $700 that included a washer and dryer in the unit. I was not looking for a place with a pool, tennis courts, or any other amenities, though those were included at some of the communities. The in-unit W/D were the most important to me. You gotta love the apartment communities that have good photos and floorplans. I love that kinda stuff . . .

If you have never lived here, brace yourself for culture shock. And don't drive like they do in DC.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:34 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
You were with me until you got to canton/novi/farmington hills/rochester hills. Those are family places, not popular for recent college grads.

OP should also check out Ferndale to this list as well.
While generally considered "family places" those suburbs also have a sizable number of apartment complexes and are in close proximity to some of the major business centers in the region. They may not have the entertainment/bar scene of other areas but there are a sizable number of recent college grads who do live in apartments in places like Novi, Canton, Rochester Hills, Troy, etc.

If people are looking for more modern and/or larger style apartment complexes with amenities such as pools and fitness centers I tend to tell people to look in those areas versus Royal Oak or Ferndale which tend to be more rental homes and/or older/smaller apartment buildings.

It all depends on preferences.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:43 AM

211 posts, read 299,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
While generally considered "family places" those suburbs also have a sizable number of apartment complexes and are in close proximity to some of the major business centers in the region. They may not have the entertainment/bar scene of other areas but there are a sizable number of recent college grads who do live in apartments in places like Novi, Canton, Rochester Hills, Troy, etc.

If people are looking for more modern and/or larger style apartment complexes with amenities such as pools and fitness centers I tend to tell people to look in those areas versus Royal Oak or Ferndale which tend to be more rental homes and/or older/smaller apartment buildings.

It all depends on preferences.
I'm not sure about troy Plymouth canton having a lot of young people. Most are in the Woodward corridor or ferndale and royal oak , Ann Arbor if you can deal with the long commute or ferndale.

People keep talking how cheap it is to live in the suburbs. Yes, you generally get what you pay for. Dc has more to offer than detroit. Why not move to Des Moines? Housing there is even cheaper.

One thing no one mentions here is the traffic. Other than ferndale and royal oak, if you live in troy or other decent suburbs ie northville novi Plymouth Rochester u are looking at almost 1 hr commute each way during rush hour. Unlike other cities where there are a decent amount of choices to live close to a center city, detroit doesn't have the same offerings.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:53 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor85 View Post
Unlike other cities where there are a decent amount of choices to live close to a center city, detroit doesn't have the same offerings.
This is incorrect. First, BERKELEY is a fine community in that Woodward Corridor area. It has a pretty lively little downtown area. It is 30 minutes from downtown. Pleasant Ridge and Huntington Woods are family communities with excellent housing stock and community pride.

DEARBORN is a another nice community next to Detroit. Not the section of Dearborn abutting southwest Detroit. Dearborn has two downtown areas and Fairlane Mall is still a nice mall despite it being frequented by lots of "Detroiters". The Warren Avenue district of Middle Eastern restaraunts, cafes, bakeries, etc is impressive. And Dearborn has nice parks as well.

The GROSSE POINTES are nice. One of the Grosse Pointes has an abundance of two-family flats that young professionals can live in. Also, the Grosse Pointes have two small but quaint commercial districts and access to lakefront parks and beaches.

ALLEN PARK is not a draw for young professionals, but it is a decent place with lots of shopping on Southfield Road.

SOUTHFIELD is also nice - it is does not have that appeal for yuppies, but if you don't mind living amongst middle-class black folks, then it's alright.

You can even make it go in HAMTRAMCK. Not the most safest community, but if you are street smart, then folks might really it.

These places are all 15-30 minutes from downtown. Now, I can understand your apprehension for Royal Oak Township, Redford Twp, Harper Woods, River Rouge, etc., but there are still many fine communities with a 1/2 hour drive to downtown.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:34 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
This is incorrect. First, BERKELEY is a fine community in that Woodward Corridor area. It has a pretty lively little downtown area. It is 30 minutes from downtown. Pleasant Ridge and Huntington Woods are family communities with excellent housing stock and community pride.

DEARBORN is a another nice community next to Detroit. Not the section of Dearborn abutting southwest Detroit. Dearborn has two downtown areas and Fairlane Mall is still a nice mall despite it being frequented by lots of "Detroiters". The Warren Avenue district of Middle Eastern restaraunts, cafes, bakeries, etc is impressive. And Dearborn has nice parks as well.

The GROSSE POINTES are nice. One of the Grosse Pointes has an abundance of two-family flats that young professionals can live in. Also, the Grosse Pointes have two small but quaint commercial districts and access to lakefront parks and beaches.

ALLEN PARK is not a draw for young professionals, but it is a decent place with lots of shopping on Southfield Road.

SOUTHFIELD is also nice - it is does not have that appeal for yuppies, but if you don't mind living amongst middle-class black folks, then it's alright.

You can even make it go in HAMTRAMCK. Not the most safest community, but if you are street smart, then folks might really it.

These places are all 15-30 minutes from downtown. Now, I can understand your apprehension for Royal Oak Township, Redford Twp, Harper Woods, River Rouge, etc., but there are still many fine communities with a 1/2 hour drive to downtown.
Notice how he always tries to talk EVERYONE out of moving to Detroit. "NO!!! Don't move to Detroit, pleeeeaasee don't, anywhere but Detroit, you will regret it, I swear. NOOOO!!!! " It's like he wants to see the area decline. He just seriously suggested Des Moines, Iowa over Detroit despite the fact that the OP clearly said he had a job offer in Detroit.

Last edited by MS313; 06-06-2014 at 01:43 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 04:19 PM

580 posts, read 777,510 times
It would help to know where OP is working.

I live in a boring part of the DMV (Howard County, MD); would equate where I live to Northville,MI.

Bethesda/Potomac/Chevy Chase = Birmingham, MI

Silver Spring = Royal Oak or Ferndale (just much smaller)

The good parts of Detroit are like Capital Hill or H Street (very similar to Corktown IMHO).

The rest of Detroit (especially Northwest and Southeast) = DC Southeast or Anacostia

Old 06-06-2014, 04:52 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,012 times
Move into Boston Edison with a bunch of WSU college kids/grad students via Craigslist. You can get rooms in those mansions for around $250-300/month and be close to all the action. Then it's only a $10 Uber/Lyft ride to Downtown/Midtown if things get too crazy.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:55 PM

53 posts, read 85,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
It would help to know where OP is working.

I live in a boring part of the DMV (Howard County, MD); would equate where I live to Northville,MI.

Bethesda/Potomac/Chevy Chase = Birmingham, MI

Silver Spring = Royal Oak or Ferndale (just much smaller)

The good parts of Detroit are like Capital Hill or H Street (very similar to Corktown IMHO).

The rest of Detroit (especially Northwest and Southeast) = DC Southeast or Anacostia
Ok thank you for the comparison of the areas of Detroit vs. the DMV.

To finally answer everyone's question I would probably be working most in the Detroit suburb's(even though my job will be sending me all over the state). So I will probably need some place that is close to the interstate/major intrastate roads.

Just wondering if any could answer this question. Is there still any ethnic working class neighborhoods left in Detroit area. Ex. Does Detroit or it's suburbs still have any mainly Irish, Italian, Polish or Greek neighborhoods left like Chicago, Philly, NY or Boston do?

Last edited by Grad23; 06-06-2014 at 06:18 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 06:00 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grad23 View Post
Ok thank you for the comparison of the areas of Detroit vs. the DMV.

To finally answer everyone's question I would probably be working most in the Detroit suburb's(even though my job will be sending me all over the state). So I will probably need some place that is close to the interstate/major intrastate roads.

Just wondering if any could answer this question. Is there still any ethnic working class neighbors left in Detroit area. Ex. Does Detroit or it's suburbs still have any mainly Irish, Italian, Polish or Greek neighborhoods left like Chicago, Philly, NY or Boston do?
I'm Irish and Italian and when I was there, didn't see many Irish or Italian looking people. I believe it's mostly German, Scandinavian and Arab. I'll have to research though because I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit