Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 10:35 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Sadly, there are no jobs where I live and parents want me out (and I want out too). I think I'm just going to take that tea job unless something else comes up. At this point, I think if the tea place will hire me, it'll be a chance to get me out there and look for work. However, if I have a 2nd job with a temp agency... would an apartment not accept temping as a source of income (I've heard that)? If that's the case and get the job at the tea place, would that be enough for them to accept it will be steady? I'm waiting to hear about the house I applied for. It was through a writing group. They choose a few writers every few months. Free housing except for property tax and utilities.

That interview is Tuesday. I guess I'll prepare. Are retail interviews the same as a regular interview?
I was in retail at one point (Michael's and Joann's) and you must tell them what they want to hear - not "I need this job". They only want to know what you can do for them.
A sample part of a big-chain interview - they may put you on the phone with a robot which asks stuff like if you are ever "tempted" to steal on the job, but reject it due to your basic morality - stuff like that. No, you are never even tempted.
This is modern day big box corporate retail, you may be talking to a robot at central screening - not your employer face to face. They may even be recording pauses in your answers. Just something to be aware of.

Also, roommates and subleases can be very iffy imo. What if roomie leaves and sticks you with all the bills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 04:52 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
I was in retail at one point (Michael's and Joann's) and you must tell them what they want to hear - not "I need this job". They only want to know what you can do for them.
A sample part of a big-chain interview - they may put you on the phone with a robot which asks stuff like if you are ever "tempted" to steal on the job, but reject it due to your basic morality - stuff like that. No, you are never even tempted.
This is modern day big box corporate retail, you may be talking to a robot at central screening - not your employer face to face. They may even be recording pauses in your answers. Just something to be aware of.

Also, roommates and subleases can be very iffy imo. What if roomie leaves and sticks you with all the bills?
This tea place is very small. The owner is someone maybe five years older than I am. I don't think SocraTea is a chain, so I think it'll just be me talking with the owner. I have talked to her before and have met with her. She knows the situation. http://www.socrateadetroit.com/

But, that's good to know about a big box corporate retail job. I remember those questions when I was applying online for those types of jobs here and never even got called back and I thought I answered them right. I don't have retail experience, though, and retail around here is getting picky because businesses are closing (and people are fleeing here).

Last edited by jessxwrites89; 07-21-2014 at 05:04 AM..

Old 07-21-2014, 08:00 AM

416 posts, read 581,399 times
What sort of long-term work are you looking for? You say you've worked in a library for 9 years. Do you have a library science degree? Have you considered getting one?

Old 07-21-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
What sort of long-term work are you looking for? You say you've worked in a library for 9 years. Do you have a library science degree? Have you considered getting one?
I don't have the MLIS, but I would love to get one... I just want to have a job first. The library I work in isn't strict about degrees and I've seen a lot of county/township libraries aren't necessarily depending on what you want (clerical I don't think the MLIS is necessary, but reference librarians for most libraries they want you to have the MLIS). However, university libraries seem to want it regardless of the position. When I visited Roseville in May, I just missed their hiring, so I'll have to see what they want. I found other library jobs in Michigan that didn't require the MLIS, but they were all through temp agencies (I did apply not realizing they were temp, but realized after no calls and some research that they were). I also have 3 years writing and office experience (if I want to consider the freelance office work I did with mom under the table, it's close to 8 years experience) and 7 years freelance writing. I would love to combine the library with the writing.

Last edited by jessxwrites89; 07-21-2014 at 12:14 PM..

Old 07-21-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
This tea place is very small. The owner is someone maybe five years older than I am. I don't think SocraTea is a chain, so I think it'll just be me talking with the owner. I have talked to her before and have met with her. She knows the situation. Socra Tea Detroit

But, that's good to know about a big box corporate retail job. I remember those questions when I was applying online for those types of jobs here and never even got called back and I thought I answered them right. I don't have retail experience, though, and retail around here is getting picky because businesses are closing (and people are fleeing here).
I would certainly prefer a small business, which I consider heroes of the U.S. and future Detroit economy. Here you can talk to your employer directly. At the big chains you are just filling a slot, and Corporate knows nothing about you - your dedication, job performance, knowledge, potential, or anything else. I might check out a smaller business in the growth segment of Detroit to be a part of.

The Coolest Small Businesses In Detroit - Business Insider
Detroit, MI Business Directory | Local Listings & Businesses - MLive.com
Detroit Small Businesses
http://www.inc.com/guides/2010/10/5-...n-detroit.html

And, looking to the future, business savvy for an employee wouldn't hurt.
http://10ksbdetroit.com/

Ran across some resources for the entrepreneur.
Resources | Detroit Regional Chamber

Old 07-21-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I would certainly prefer a small business, which I consider heroes of the U.S. and future Detroit economy. Here you can talk to your employer directly. At the big chains you are just filling a slot, and Corporate knows nothing about you - your dedication, job performance, knowledge, potential, or anything else. I might check out a smaller business in the growth segment of Detroit to be a part of.

The Coolest Small Businesses In Detroit - Business Insider
Detroit, MI Business Directory | Local Listings & Businesses - MLive.com
Detroit Small Businesses
http://www.inc.com/guides/2010/10/5-...n-detroit.html

And, looking to the future, business savvy for an employee wouldn't hurt.
Welcome - 10,000 Small Businesses - Wayne State University

Ran across some resources for the entrepreneur.
Resources | Detroit Regional Chamber
Thanks for all the links. I am feeling better today. After looking at the site, I feel better. I also feel better that she remembered me and said, "We definitely need to talk!" The only thing, though, is I hope the fact I didn't move yet isn't a deterrent like it might have been with Quicken. I said, "I really want to move, but I really wanted to move with an offer. I didn't want to move totally unemployed." Should I still say that?

Old 07-21-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the links. I am feeling better today. After looking at the site, I feel better. I also feel better that she remembered me and said, "We definitely need to talk!" The only thing, though, is I hope the fact I didn't move yet isn't a deterrent like it might have been with Quicken. I said, "I really want to move, but I really wanted to move with an offer. I didn't want to move totally unemployed." Should I still say that?
I don't think that was a deterrent other than they feel relocation is a problem for you yourself to solve. Quicken has hired a lot of people from out of town, but they feel your relocation concerns are not theirs. Saying such a thing places a "condition" on your acceptance which they don't care about and can easily pass over. That would be a reason to be continually passed over by other employers. Remember who you are dealing with - that's one of those big corporations who have a long list of applicants to pick from and they don't care about your situation.
I'm pretty sure any employer knows the deal once you tell them where you are now. You might state it as a "dilemma" and ask for suggestions by saying "I'm really excited to relocate to your area and I really love your type of business", but only of a smaller employer. Many smaller startups are by Detroit enthusiasts - so you be the same (just don't lay it on too thick).
Also, do some homework on the type of business so you can appear knowledgeable. If it's a coffee shop, learn about coffees and equipment via internet resources. A minimal amount of training along with enthusiasm - that's what an employer likes to hear.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 07-21-2014 at 08:03 PM..

Old 07-21-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I don't think that was a deterrent other than they feel that relocation is a problem for you yourself to solve. Quicken has hired a lot of people from out of town, but they feel your relocation concerns are not theirs. Saying such a thing places a "condition" on your acceptance which they don't care about and can easily pass over. That would be a reason to be continually passed over by other employers. Remember who you are dealing with - that's one of those big corporations who have a long list of applicants to pick from and they don't care about your situation.
I'm pretty sure any employer knows the deal once you tell them where you are now. You might state it as a "dilemma" and ask for suggestions by saying "I'm really excited to relocate to your area and I really love your type of business", but only of a smaller employer. Many of these startups are by Detroit enthusiasts - so you be the same (just don't lay it on too thick).
Also, do some homework on the type of business so you can appear knowledgeable. If it's a coffee shop, learn about coffees and equipment via internet resources. A minimal amount of training along with enthusiasm - that's what an employer likes to hear.
That's true. I know a bit about tea and coffee. I never worked in a shop, but I've frequented plenty and had friends that owned a few. So I know the bare basics and of course I'll say I'm willing to learn because I am. That's a great idea too! I sent you a message - I hope the interview happens tomorrow. :X

Old 07-21-2014, 08:32 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,968 times
Have you looked into Toledo?

Its apartments are, by and large, much cheaper than Michigan's (due to different taxes, insurance, and section 8 rules).

You can find an apartment in a livable (but not quite middle-class) area for less than $400/mo - unheard of in Michigan.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
Have you looked into Toledo?

Its apartments are, by and large, much cheaper than Michigan's (due to different taxes, insurance, and section 8 rules).

You can find an apartment in a livable (but not quite middle-class) area for less than $400/mo - unheard of in Michigan.
No. I don't drive and Toledo looked like I needed to have a car. I'm actually thinking about going back to my dream from 2010-December 2013: Green Bay, WI. I forgot all about it when I saw all these writing jobs in Detroit. Maybe I shouldn't have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit