Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I pursue a job in the Detroit area?
Yes, it will be worth it and it's a great place to live 38 76.00%
No, stay AWAY! 12 24.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 12:24 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at random spots in the Detroit/Ann Arbor metro areas on Google Street View. Being from New England, my initial impression is that almost everything in the Detroit metro looks bland? I'm talking about the suburbs. Too much conformity and flat land. But New England here is full of hills, stone walls, picket fences, amazing houses, historic/quaint town centers, etc. Am I not looking in the right places? Please tell me that Michigan has comparable charm and character to that of Connecticut.

Also, is everything really that flat? I'd reallllly have to get used to that. I'm just too used to the comfort of varying terrain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 05:26 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I currently live in Fairfield County, CT (near NYC) and have been asked by a recruiter if I am interested in pursuing a position located in Southfield, MI. The job is with International Automotive Components (IAC) and pays $76K. It would be a career promotion as well. The job requires global travel up to 15% of the time. Currently, I make $75K plus $15K bonus.

I have never been to the Detroit area. Obviously, Detroit's reputation is unbelievably bad. My friends here in CT are like, "hell no....do not pursue that job." But I'm not that stupid. The same thing could be said about many blighted cities in the U.S.

Are the suburbs any good? Is there a large, quality gay population of guys aged 25-35? I'd be willing to commute up to 30 minutes to work.

It also seems like I could afford a house easily. Where I live now, a home costs $400K on average, but there it seems to be around $100K. Wow! I could buy two or three homes all for myself!

And there are direct flights to BDL (Hartford, CT) so that I can visit family in just 90 minutes.

Anyway, should I pursue this or should I steer clear?
If you're serious about this PM me. I work in Automotive, I know the area, the industry, and the gays. Obviously if you move to Detroit you'll live in the suburbs like everyone else, and the suburbs are fine. Even if you live in the city which is trendy in parts you'll be fine. Automotive money is good, it's why Detroit area expendable income is consistently ranked highest in the country because of the cost of living ratio. Why people from the "Bos-Wash" corridor are often surprised to find the shopping options. Also the automotive industry is red hot because the automakers are still scrambling to produce new models after the downturn, which creates job security.

The gay scene is a little fragmented but you still have the meat head gym scene you find in most cities. I think the hardest thing for outsiders coming into Michigan is comparing the infrastructure. In parts the roads and freeways can look run down and add to the industrial depression look. The combination of snow plow heavy winters, Trucks carrying the heaviest loads in the country, and lack of commitment from the state have kept it that way. It's a good opportunity if you're serious, it COULD be a small amount of culture shock, especially given your fondness for home. But the Detroit area will take care of you just fine.

Also SE Michigan is flatter, the further north and west you go, you get that wooded hilly almost New England look. There are tons of quaint or trendy, areas around the metro. Ann Arbor is a big one, Downtown Plymouth, Northville, Birmingham, Royal Oak, Mt Clemens, to name a few. Someone said there weren't any full time gay bars in the city or the metro, that's not factually correct, the Detroit area has gay bars all over the area, as does Ann Arbor, the problem is since Ferndale has Gentrified more, there really isn't a Gay strip in the area, so to bar hop you really need to cab it or drive.

Last edited by mjlo; 08-23-2014 at 05:52 AM..

Old 08-23-2014, 07:13 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
This will give you a rough idea of how much further your dollar will go in Metro Detroit: Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

You probably don't want any of the houses listed at $100K. $225 - 250 will get you something nice in one of the more desirable areas.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:38 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
I currently live in Fairfield County, CT (near NYC) and have been asked by a recruiter if I am interested in pursuing a position located in Southfield, MI. The job is with International Automotive Components (IAC) and pays $76K. It would be a career promotion as well. The job requires global travel up to 15% of the time. Currently, I make $75K plus $15K bonus.

I have never been to the Detroit area. Obviously, Detroit's reputation is unbelievably bad. My friends here in CT are like, "hell no....do not pursue that job." But I'm not that stupid. The same thing could be said about many blighted cities in the U.S.

Are the suburbs any good? Is there a large, quality gay population of guys aged 25-35? I'd be willing to commute up to 30 minutes to work.

It also seems like I could afford a house easily. Where I live now, a home costs $400K on average, but there it seems to be around $100K. Wow! I could buy two or three homes all for myself!

And there are direct flights to BDL (Hartford, CT) so that I can visit family in just 90 minutes.

Anyway, should I pursue this or should I steer clear?
The suburbs are okay, but then again so are suburbs throughout the Midwest. I would go for it. After all the job is in Southfield, so it is not as though the job is in Detroit proper. Even if it were, for $76k I would consider it.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:40 AM

998 posts, read 1,237,346 times
International Automotive Components Reviews | Glassdoor

Definitely check out the company on this (above) and other similar sites You have to be a member to get all the data.

Some say a general rule of thumb is that you should not relocate for less than 25 pay increase. You can probably take into account the difference in cost of living to the essentially flat salary and see if it makes sense economically. Some things are essentially fixed (area gas prices, area food prices, etc.). Other costs can vary by local location ... car insurance and housing vary greatly depending on what suburb or city you live in.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:55 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Also, is everything really that flat? I'd reallllly have to get used to that. I'm just too used to the comfort of varying terrain.
Yes, it's really that flat. Most of the Detroit Metro area is a former lake plain. You'd need to go out to Washtenaw County (Ann Arbor area) or northern Oakland County to get into the glacial moraine area to experience any hills. Still, it won't be as hilly or varied as you're familiar with in Connecticut. (We have few winding roads--most are strictly north-south or east-west in orientation, with a few radial roads emanating out of Detroit.)

Old 08-23-2014, 10:56 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,531 times
Quote:
I've been looking at random spots in the Detroit/Ann Arbor metro areas on Google Street View. Being from New England, my initial impression is that almost everything in the Detroit metro looks bland? I'm talking about the suburbs. Too much conformity and flat land. But New England here is full of hills, stone walls, picket fences, amazing houses, historic/quaint town centers, etc. Am I not looking in the right places? Please tell me that Michigan has comparable charm and character to that of Connecticut.

I found my visit to Connecticut to look similar like Michigan suburbs. Hartford suburb Windsor reminds me of Waterford/Commerce twp metro detroit suburb area the way homes are older small type semi wooded area with flat land. Hartford suburb Enfield seem bland compared to metro Detroits strip mall suburb layout like on hall road or big beaver road but that area of Connecticut reminded of the areas I mention of metro detroit.

I did not get a chance to browse Hartford. While I heard stories of having a lot of crime that did not bother me to not want to visit. Just did not have time.

If you think you can make more money at your current job, keep it and stay. If you feel it's going nowhere and want to test out what your worth, try it out. Metro Detroit's low cost of living is a perk for this.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:17 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,483 times
Hartford CT has a metro area of 1.2 million. Detroit has a metro area of more than 4 million. So, its not like you are moving to a smaller town.

Here are some areas of Metro Detroit to compare with back home:

1)Downtown Birmingham
2)Downtown Royal Oak
3)Downtown Ferndale
4)Downtown Wyandotte
5)Downtown Ann Arbor
6)Downtown Rochester
7)Downtown Northville
8)Downtown Plymouth
9)Downtown Mount Clemens
10)Downtown Detroit
11)Midtown Detroit
12)Downtown Windsor, Ontario

Old 08-23-2014, 11:24 AM

915 posts, read 1,505,561 times
I wouldn't live in Plymouth or Ann Arbor if you work in Southfield, if I had a choice in the matter.

275 and 696 are just awful in the am. Worse if you have any traffic issues because of accidents at the Orchard Lake or the Telegraph exits.

Stick with Ferndale/Royal Oak/Farmington Hills. It's still a tough commute into Southfield, but it's not very long and less frustrating and you can use surface streets to get to work.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:30 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Southfield and the cities around it are almost all perfectly fine to live and work in. They are nice, busy, growing suburbs with a lot of businesses, some decent cultural activities within easy reach and not too expensive to live. Ferndale and Ann Arbor are the largest communities nearby with sizable gay populations -- both overwhelmingly made up of professional people, though I'm not sure what you mean by "quality gay." You would be a fool not to seriously consider this job, with that kind of pay.

The terrain in Michigan is wildly varied -- lakes everywhere, hilly in places like Ann Arbor, flatter in the farmlandy areas, forests, cornfields, even some mountains and waterfalls as you go farther north. You can take your pick, although it's nothing like the Blue Ridge mountains or the Rockies or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit