Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 12:02 PM

12 posts, read 17,588 times

Advertisements

I think the communities that border Ferndale will benefit from the increased housing prices in Ferndale - I was looking for a home in Ferndale for about a year and ended up in Oak Park. I would imagine the story is the same for other young professionals who couldn't keep up with the inflating market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 12:23 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMetro View Post
I think the communities that border Ferndale will benefit from the increased housing prices in Ferndale - I was looking for a home in Ferndale for about a year and ended up in Oak Park. I would imagine the story is the same for other young professionals who couldn't keep up with the inflating market.
Ferndale doesn't look very different from 20 years ago, and has an affordable market, not an "inflating one". It's the cheapest Woodward corridor city between Detroit and Pontiac.

The main difference is that the schools have gone downhill, so usually people move to other suburbs once their kids reach school age.

Oak Park, excepting the small part that goes to Berkley schools, has never been worse. That community is in serious decline.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:31 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,194,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Ferndale doesn't look very different from 20 years ago, and has an affordable market, not an "inflating one". It's the cheapest Woodward corridor city between Detroit and Pontiac.

The main difference is that the schools have gone downhill, so usually people move to other suburbs once their kids reach school age.

Oak Park, excepting the small part that goes to Berkley schools, has never been worse. That community is in serious decline.
I would argue that Ferndale is vastly different (and improved) than it was 20 years ago. The downtown is, IMO, one of the more desirable hangouts for young professionals in suburban Metro Detroit, behind Royal Oak, Birmingham, and perhaps Rochester. The only reason it is more affordable than other suburbs is because it's closest to Detroit's 8 Mile border. And that applies to the housing stock near that area. The prices are surely going up around the 9 Mile and Woodward area.

I never thought twice about going to Ferndale when I was a kid. It was sort of grungy and unappealing. Now it has a decent selection of hangouts including One Eyed Betty's, Rosie O' Grady's, Anita's Kitchen, and Emory. Basically, Ferndale is a hipster's Royal Oak.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:35 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,162,676 times
Quote:

From what I have heard, some of the.hipster families are staying in Ferndale and putting their children in Ferndale Public Schools so it looks like the public school system is at a turning point.

If your claim that Ferndale real estate is the cheapest is accurate, that is probably a reflection of the small, unspectacular houses that comprise most of Ferndale's housing stock. If it had the gorgeous and spacious homes of Detroit's Green Acres neighborhood to the south or Pleasant Ridge to the north, Ferndale would be even more expensive. Plus, isn't Berkley cheaper?

Finally, downtown Ferndale is getting better. Recently an old standalone Pizza Hut on Woodward on the northern edge of the,downtown district was demo'ed, and a street fronting commercial building with parking in back was built. Also it is rumored that a mixed_use condo development is replacing the Save-a-lot grocery store on Nine Mile.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:47 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,162,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
I would argue that Ferndale is vastly different (and improved) than it was 20 years ago. The downtown is, IMO, one of the more desirable hangouts for young professionals in suburban Metro Detroit, behind Royal Oak, Birmingham, and perhaps Rochester. The only reason it is more affordable than other suburbs is because it's closest to Detroit's 8 Mile border. And that applies to the housing stock near that area. The prices are surely going up around the 9 Mile and Woodward area.

I never thought twice about going to Ferndale when I was a kid. It was sort of grungy and unappealing. Now it has a decent selection of hangouts including One Eyed Betty's, Rosie O' Grady's, Anita's Kitchen, and Emory. Basically, Ferndale is a hipster's Royal Oak.
Downtown Plymouth is more of young professional destination than Rochester. Birmingham too

Also there are way more restaurants/bars in Ferndale - the best include Public House, Como's, Local, Howe's Bayou, the Loving Touch, The Fly Trap, Bosco and many others.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:42 PM

94 posts, read 224,423 times
I would bank on the near-in Grosse Pointes (Park, City, Farms away from the wealthiest lake areas) NOT Shores or Woods. Eventually the Midtown/Downtown crowd will have kids and they will not be sending them to DPS for the foreseeable future. They also won't be moving downriver or to Clarkston. GP is the closest suburb with good schools, great housing stock, and the all important proximity to downtown.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:

What makes you think it's never been worse? The house I bought, near 9 & Coolidge, was listed for 48 hours before receiving multiple offers.

Also, I think the recent votes to end the 60ish years of prohibition of alcohol in restaurants will help bring in restaurants and further investment into the city. See: Vinsetta Garage owners planning to convert the old WWJ building on 8 near Coolidge into a restaurant.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:39 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Hamtramck has a ways to go. Its very intact downtown business strip is half vacant and most of the buildings are raggedy. Also, it's current population of 22,000 is far less than its peak population of 52,000 in 1930, so it has the potential to be even more densely populated.

IMHO, Dearborn has some pretty impressive housing stock

downtown West Dearborn

Henry Ford Homes Historic District

The Aviation Subdivision 1

The Aviation Subdivision 2

Michigan Ave/Telegraph

Cherry Hill Outer Drive

Hamtramck is a little Yemen nowadays, it has ways to go before it becomes "cool and hip". Many of the people who made first the Royal Oak and then the Ferndale cool and hip were gay, lesbian, or otherwise "alternative" and I just can't see them moving to the present day Hamtramck or Dearborn with their heavy presence of fresh-off-the-boat Muslim immigrants.

Pontiac had promise but it also has major problems with gangs and blight that neither RO nor Ferndale ever had.

Oak Park does not have anything resembling a downtown, it's plain boring. I just can't see Greenfield and 11 mile becoming hip.

Perhaps Huntington Woods could expand, the area near 9 mile and Coolige is not far and could be made into a downtown of sorts.

I believe the next hot place is Detroit.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Hamtramck is a little Yemen nowadays, it has ways to go before it becomes "cool and hip". Many of the people who made first the Royal Oak and then the Ferndale cool and hip were gay, lesbian, or otherwise "alternative" and I just can't see them moving to the present day Hamtramck or Dearborn with their heavy presence of fresh-off-the-boat Muslim immigrants.

Pontiac had promise but it also has major problems with gangs and blight that neither RO nor Ferndale ever had.

Oak Park does not have anything resembling a downtown, it's plain boring. I just can't see Greenfield and 11 mile becoming hip.

Perhaps Huntington Woods could expand, the area near 9 mile and Coolige is not far and could be made into a downtown of sorts.

I believe the next hot place is Detroit.

9 Mile and Coolidge is Oak Park, FYI.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:56 AM

944 posts, read 1,211,453 times
Midtown is overpriced for what you are getting and can no longer really live up to it's "New Brooklyn (TM)" reputation. That will be Hamtramck's ticket to gentrification, IMO. There is functionally no difference between Hamtramck and any city neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit