Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,370 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about St. Clair Shores? I am in the interview process for a job there, and things are looking pretty good. I am from metro Detroit, but I am unfamiliar with SCS. What is the vibe there? It seems like a nice middle class city without the pretense. I'd like to know about some of the schools in the area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 09:11 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
It's mostly notable for the marinas and subdivisions with canals between streets along the shoreline. Pretty affordable if one is looking to be close to the water.

Otherwise it's kind of a run of the mill suburb. Low crime, okay schools, easy freeway access, etc. Generally has older post-war ranches and bungalows.

Many residents tend to be senior citizens or mature families who are often long-time residents. In general it's kind of a slow paced suburb. Not much changes over time and I wouldn't expect it to change too much anytime soon.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
My former boss lived there. He was quite wealthy, but he had a simple unpretentious house on the outside - gorgeous on the inside. He lived on a sort of canal, really more of an inlet. He kept a small boat there, but his big boat did not fit. Houses around him were upper middle class looking, unpretentious, tiny lots. Some of his neighbors were complete a holes, others were terrific. Probably like everywhere else. No real downtown or anything that I am aware of. Cheap housing for waterfront. Schools are decent but not great. No substnatial crime problem.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:41 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Kinda boring. Houses are reasonably priced. Affordable place to make a living. My grandmother lived there most of her adult life and never had any problems.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:42 PM

915 posts, read 1,505,924 times
Bedroom suburb.

A lot of people live there, but work elsewhere. Friendly community for the most part.

Kinda boring is an understatement.

Getting to Troy or Sterling Heights takes at least 30 minutes. And unless you go to the Nautical Mile, most of your typical suburb things are in Roseville/Clinton Twp.

City Council used to be really selective about enforcing ordinances codes. Being by the lake is nice. Nautical Mile is nice.

Mid-size library. Unless it has updated since 2007, it really needs to be updated.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Bedroom suburb.

A lot of people live there, but work elsewhere. Friendly community for the most part.

Kinda boring is an understatement.

Getting to Troy or Sterling Heights takes at least 30 minutes. And unless you go to the Nautical Mile, most of your typical suburb things are in Roseville/Clinton Twp.

City Council used to be really selective about enforcing ordinances codes. Being by the lake is nice. Nautical Mile is nice.

Mid-size library. Unless it has updated since 2007, it really needs to be updated.
My boss and friends generally came into Detroit to do things. Frequently, they would take their boat to bars/restaurants, sometimes even for shopping. I am not sure where they went. They did a lot of entertaining on the water.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:38 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
Lived in the northern part of the Shores for 20 years...all the above is true. ..I saw it as many old timers lived and retired in the same house..lots of renters in the mix too...A few close neighbors wouldn't even talk to anybody and we had one GET OFF MY LAWN guy.....I did like that you could walk to the lake and party stores from our house....For the most part we loved it....easy access to downtown....the traffic factor wasn't as bad as some cities either. ..Seemed like they were always working on the streets and the orange barrels were out constantly. ...Some good restaurants and I do miss places like Nino Salvaggio and Pegasus....and walking my dog down Jefferson....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit