Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 03:55 PM

514 posts, read 764,238 times

Advertisements

I recently moved into the Midtown area at a prime rate (I don't even want to talk about it) thinking it was a artsier, more pre-2005 Royal Oak alternative to the boring burbs. What a joke. This area is still a complete cesspool. You can't leave your apartment/house to walk to the store without being accosted (sometimes aggressively) by panhandlers and thugs. Section 8 is literally everywhere, with a lot of the apartment complexes functioning as quasi-Projects. Cars parked on the street can routinely be seen with their steering wheels locked with The Club (must be natives who know the way things actually work around the area). There is a block of 3rd street with two homeless shelters on it that has literally been turned in a refugee camp, with garbage and furniture strewn across the entire area. UGH... why did I do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 05:51 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Well, YOU bought it, so sell it now, quickly. Maybe there's another YOU out there that would get you your money back out... lol

Old 07-04-2016, 06:30 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,437 times
how long ago did you buy? Do you know how much it's worth now (on Zillow?) compared to how much it was when you bought it?

Old 07-04-2016, 06:40 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
See, your first mistake was looking for something similar to Royal Oak. Of any time period.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
See, your first mistake was looking for something similar to Royal Oak. Of any time period.
Is Royal Oak a bad or sketchy neighborhood? I see that it's next to Birmingham. Does that make any difference? Or are Royal Oak and Birmingham night and day?

Old 07-04-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
Is Royal Oak a bad or sketchy neighborhood? I see that it's next to Birmingham. Does that make any difference? Or are Royal Oak and Birmingham night and day?
Hardly. It was more gritty like 20 years ago, but hardly anything compared to Detroit past and present (it's still basically a typical suburb). OP is known as a poster who has nothing positive to say about Detroit ever so they exaggerate to make it seem like it's a scene of Mad Max.

They probably moved near one of the low-income apartments that are still present in parts of Midtown (if they actually did in fact move into Midtown) and there is indeed a homeless shelter on 3rd. But most people who are familiar with any urban city know that these things exist and hardly any city is without them. Unless your a naive suburbanite that doesn't like urban areas anyway, then a couple of panhandlers just might actually seem scary.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:10 PM

514 posts, read 764,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Hardly. It was more gritty like 20 years ago, but hardly anything compared to Detroit past and present (it's still basically a typical suburb). OP is known as a poster who has nothing positive to say about Detroit ever so they exaggerate to make it seem like it's a scene of Mad Max.

They probably moved near one of the low-income apartments that are still present in parts of Midtown (if they actually did in fact move into Midtown) and there is indeed a homeless shelter on 3rd. But most people who are familiar with any urban city know that these things exist and hardly any city is without them. Unless your a naive suburbanite that doesn't like urban areas anyway, then a couple of panhandlers just might actually seem scary.
First, I'm not scared, I'm pissed. I have more street smarts than you'd ever hope to have. I told one the other day I'd kill him if ever asked me for "thirty cent" ever again. Dumbass asked me not a day later in front of the same spot. Waste of life.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:37 PM

"waste of life"?

You know that the homeless, the drug addicts, the destitute, and all "those people" are humans, too... just like you and me.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:12 PM

181 posts, read 205,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
I recently moved into the Midtown area at a prime rate (I don't even want to talk about it) thinking it was a artsier, more pre-2005 Royal Oak alternative to the boring burbs. What a joke. This area is still a complete cesspool. You can't leave your apartment/house to walk to the store without being accosted (sometimes aggressively) by panhandlers and thugs. Section 8 is literally everywhere, with a lot of the apartment complexes functioning as quasi-Projects. Cars parked on the street can routinely be seen with their steering wheels locked with The Club (must be natives who know the way things actually work around the area). There is a block of 3rd street with two homeless shelters on it that has literally been turned in a refugee camp, with garbage and furniture strewn across the entire area. UGH... why did I do this.
I have talked to literally hundreds of people who move to Detroit and end up feeling the exact same way. I live in the Detroit area, was born there and I would never live in Detroit itself. I haven't seen much improvement there for me to live there and I am in the city frequently. There's too much corruption and negativity. It's sad.

An "artsier, pre-2005 Royal Oak"...not sure you are gonna find that in Michigan lol.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
First, I'm not scared, I'm pissed. I have more street smarts than you'd ever hope to have. I told one the other day I'd kill him if ever asked me for "thirty cent" ever again. Dumbass asked me not a day later in front of the same spot. Waste of life.
Wow, so edgy. Not like that doesn't ever happen in Detroit, ever.

Mayor Duggan: Deontae Mitchell killed after picking up $70 - Story | WJBK

So you're pissed about moving into a city where people share your mentality? Or you were pissed because you were looking for a place where people didn't share your mentality? I'm confused.

No one lied to you about the state of the city. The city is getting better, but with an attitude like "I'm going to kill this guy for asking me for some pennies" then you're not one of the people actually making the city better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit