Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2017, 07:15 AM

32 posts, read 36,549 times

Advertisements

Hi ,
I was going to post this on the home forum, but thought it may help to post here because the weather conditions are similar around here (Detroit metro) .

Has anyone had their concrete driveway sealed and does it really help? Planning on getting mine redone this summer and some of the quotes I received had a "sealer" option for about $400-500 more.
They say it helps with snow/water damage etc.

Trying to get some opinions on whether it really helps - if anyone has any experience, I would appreciate any input.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 05:24 PM

4,279 posts, read 5,937,011 times
The installing contractor will reap more benefit than you.

A sealer (i.e. curing compound) is sometimes applied to wet, freshly placed, concrete during extremely hot and dry summer conditions to prevent shrinkage cracking of the concrete. These cracks are fine spider web cracks which appear across the surface within the first two days of curing. Actually, it is very wise to apply curing compounds in hot, dry, and windy summer conditions. Without use of a curing compound you run the risk of the outer surface drying too quickly, cracking, and ruining the entire slab. In lieu of these compounds the slab can be covered with visqueen and top surface of the plastic kept moist by misting the plastic with a garden hose sprayer. Anything to slow the curing of the top surface.

Unless you apply insanely copious amounts of salt, the sealer will not provide any benefit. Since these sealers are usually water based you want to apply any sealer in Fall for salt protection. Otherwise it will all wash and wear away before winter arrives.

Member, American Society of Civil Engineers
12+ years of pavement management experience

Old 02-21-2017, 06:34 PM

Thank you so much for your reply and saving me some money ..I am going to pass

Old 02-22-2017, 04:11 AM

4,279 posts, read 5,937,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasv View Post
Thank you so much for your reply and saving me some money ..I am going to pass
If your contractor schedules this job for the middle of summer, you may want to specify the curing compound as an Owner's Alternate at time of construction. But since you are collecting proposals in February I am guessing this job will be completed in April or May, well before damaging heat arrives.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:38 AM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
No expert here but...If you will be home the day this is done and a few days after, I would recommend lightly spraying the concrete whenever it looks like it is starting to dry to slow the curing as MI-Roger mentioned. If you have a misting nozzle, even better. I wouldn't bother with the visqueen or sealer unless you will not be home.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:22 PM

Yes, I will be home and weather permitting, I plan to get this done in Spring. So hopefully it will not be hot ..although, looking at this week - who knows , it may be 100 degrees in May!

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit