Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 07:57 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,634 times

Advertisements

Another thing unique to Metro Detroit is giant new homes built on extremely busy streets.

In the Middle East, having a home on a busy thoroughfare is a sign of wealth. Many Middle Easterners who made it in Metro Detroit did the same. I'll never forget the first time I saw a mega mansion built right on top of Telegraph.

Dearborn and Dearborn Heights have a lot of these sprinkled throughout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 02:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I am still trying to figure out why someone would ant to entertain in their basement.

"Here, climb down into this hole in the ground. It is the best part of my house to have people. And look at the awesome views from here"

People used to poke fun at my daughters becasue their bedrooms were in the basement. Their rooms are bigger and nicer than most bedrooms despite being underground and they have big (6') widows. But still there is a stigma about being the basement. Partly because there is no getting around the damp/musty, even with a bunch of dehumidifiers and great drainage, fully finished walls and floors etc. You still know you are in a basement.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:23 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
The original owners probably had a clear plastic cover over their upstairs sofa. Someday the queen might be over to visit and they would take it off.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:00 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The original owners probably had a clear plastic cover over their upstairs sofa. Someday the queen might be over to visit and they would take it off.
My husband has an aunt down in southern Ohio who lives exactly this way. The only thing they do on the main level of their house is sleep in their bedroom at night, otherwise they have a family room and full kitchen in the basement where they spend the rest of their time. Her living room, dining room, and kitchen on the main level look like a museum. We visited her a couple of months ago and she is a very sweet lady but she seemed almost nervous about us sitting on the living room furniture.

I don't get it, but different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:32 AM

214 posts, read 286,415 times
This is the funniest thread I've read in a long time!

Old 06-22-2017, 10:09 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am still trying to figure out why someone would ant to entertain in their basement.
Certain cultures have rules about who can see the hair and faces of their women. Sometimes these women live in the basement while the menfolk entertain upstairs.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:14 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Full kitchens in basements were very popular here in Windsor back when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s. Windsor has always had a huge Italian population, and most of these basement kitchens were popular in the the Italian community, as well as from the those from Balkans. Growing up, many of my Italian friends mothers did most of their cooking in them, I was always fascinated by this. They would use the basement kitchen almost 100% of the time, while the main kitchen was rarely used and thus stayed in a pristine State. I'm not sure if many people now a days still put these in anymore. I guess immigrants are coming from different parts of the world now, so I would assume this may be a thing of the past soon.
This.

I grew up around Toronto/Hamilton, Ontario. Southern Ontario, from north of Toronto down to Niagara Falls and into Western NY, has always had a huge Italian population. The many Italian families I knew used their downstairs kitchens for entertaining, yes, but mostly for their massive annual canning projects. This was true especially prior to the days of central A/C. Processing all those tomatoes in the late summer/early fall was much more tolerable in the cooler basement than in the main floor kitchen.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:07 AM

544 posts, read 901,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
This.

I grew up around Toronto/Hamilton, Ontario. Southern Ontario, from north of Toronto down to Niagara Falls and into Western NY, has always had a huge Italian population. The many Italian families I knew used their downstairs kitchens for entertaining, yes, but mostly for their massive annual canning projects. This was true especially prior to the days of central A/C. Processing all those tomatoes in the late summer/early fall was much more tolerable in the cooler basement than in the main floor kitchen.
I grew up in Montreal and all of the Italian families did this as well.They spent the entire day in the basement. All of the basements had doors so they came in and out through there.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:08 AM

544 posts, read 901,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

People used to poke fun at my daughters becasue their bedrooms were in the basement. Their rooms are bigger and nicer than most bedrooms despite being underground and they have big (6') widows. But still there is a stigma about being the basement. Partly because there is no getting around the damp/musty, even with a bunch of dehumidifiers and great drainage, fully finished walls and floors etc. You still know you are in a basement.
When I was a teenager, my bedroom was in the basement and loved it. I had my own door, which came in handy on more than one occasion.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:02 AM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Maybe it's to isolate the heat and lingering smell of cooking? That red gravy can smell pretty good, but maybe not if you're going to sleep and waking up to it all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit