Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 11:42 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,712,440 times

Advertisements

Warren in general is quiet big and the crime stat combines the "good" warren with "bad warren. It is not an accurate look at specific Warren area. i am sure if there was a breakdown of Warren by North vs. South, the number would be very different
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 07:21 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,894 times
Center Line is all south of 696 and has crime rates virtually the same as Warren, despite Warren being mostly north of 696. I also work in the area and get lunch in Center Line and South Warren quite frequently, in fact my favorite Mexican place is right there. Never have I felt in any danger or watched drug deals take place. One of my coworkers lives in the area. Her neighborhood is fine and looks like anywhere you'd see in Redford or Madison Heights. "South" Warren and Center Line aren't bad. They're just bland, dull, 1950/60s style suburban sprawl with old homes. They lack the charm of the gentrifying SE Oakland County towns and they lack the newness of Shelby TWP and Novi. Do I personally want to live there? No. But they're not the "hood", please quit playing them up like they are.

OP, What you're seeing is an anti-Detroit, and in some cases an anti-black sentiment. People in Metro Detroit think a neighborhood is "getting rough" if too many people move in from Detroit, or if >25% of the people there are not if a familiar demographic. Keep that in mind before you equate 9 Mile and Van Dyke to McNichols and Gratoit

Last edited by Geo-Aggie; 07-22-2017 at 07:32 AM..

Old 07-22-2017, 07:48 AM

68 posts, read 90,197 times
Default And another thing

Oh, and another thing....

South Warren: The Forgotten Neighborhoods

Please don't make this mistake.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:45 AM

169 posts, read 185,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Center Line is all south of 696 and has crime rates virtually the same as Warren, despite Warren being mostly north of 696. I also work in the area and get lunch in Center Line and South Warren quite frequently, in fact my favorite Mexican place is right there. Never have I felt in any danger or watched drug deals take place. One of my coworkers lives in the area. Her neighborhood is fine and looks like anywhere you'd see in Redford or Madison Heights. "South" Warren and Center Line aren't bad. They're just bland, dull, 1950/60s style suburban sprawl with old homes. They lack the charm of the gentrifying SE Oakland County towns and they lack the newness of Shelby TWP and Novi. Do I personally want to live there? No. But they're not the "hood", please quit playing them up like they are.

OP, What you're seeing is an anti-Detroit, and in some cases an anti-black sentiment. People in Metro Detroit think a neighborhood is "getting rough" if too many people move in from Detroit, or if >25% of the people there are not if a familiar demographic. Keep that in mind before you equate 9 Mile and Van Dyke to McNichols and Gratoit
You're from Utah and have lived in metro Detroit for less than two years. Quite honestly, you have zero credibility when it comes to making suggestions on places to live in Metro Detroit. You simply haven't been here long enough to know what you're talking about. You weren't around 10, 20, or 30 years ago to see what these communities were compared to what they are now. So please stop acting like you're some resident expert on good vs bad places to live in metro Detroit.

The fact is that many of these inner ring suburbs ARE "getting rough" and have gotten rough compared to what they used to be 10-20 years ago. If you actually lived here 10 years ago, you'd realize this.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:39 PM

Considering I spend anywhere from 25-30% of my week in Warren and eat lunch in the 9 Mile/Van Dyke area about twice a month, I'd say I actually do know Warren/Center Line pretty well - possibly better than most native posters who know Warren as a GM suburb that you drive through, to get to Lake St. Clair or the Pointes. So rather than trying to attack my background to discredit me, why don't you let my posts speak for themselves? If they're bad people will ignore me. There are my limitations. I don't know crap about Downriver, Northern Macomb County, Washtenaw/Livingston Counties, or most of the neighborhoods in Detroit - but based on my career, my interests, and where I spend a lot of my time, I know quite a bit about Oakland County, Southern Macomb, Greater Downtown Detroit, and NW Wayne County, including its history, especially for some punk kid who didn't even know what a coney, a party store, or the 696 were 2 years ago

Regarding crime in Warren, according to City-Data's statistics crime has decreased by about 30% over the last 10 years. Since comparing 2007 to 2017 is sort of cherry picking the worst year against the best year, even comparing the good economy of 2004 to the recently-post-recession world of 2012 indicates about a 10% drop in crime. Regarding violent crime, rape has been trending up, while murder, assault, and robberies have all been down - mimicking a trend pretty typical of America over the last 10 years.

Is South Warren nice or in any way upscale? No. Ryaninmetro's DetroitNews article does a pretty good job of explaining that. Is South Warren some "rapidly decaying", crime-lord ruled, ghetto nightmare? Also no, not even close. It's a typical working-class area that isn't great, but if you're earning 40k a year, living on a tight budget, and looking to buy your first home... it may not be not a bad place to live. In fact it reminds me a lot of the first place my wife and I bought a home. We're not all earning 6 digits, we're not all debating between Birmingham and Northville. If someone asks for advice on crime in South Warren it should be expressed for what it is, not one's own interpretation on whether or not it acceptable to them. South Warren has more crime than most Detroit suburbs, but it's about average with typical working class Suburban America.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Considering I spend anywhere from 25-30% of my week in Warren and eat lunch in the 9 Mile/Van Dyke area about twice a month, I'd say I actually do know Warren/Center Line pretty well - possibly better than most native posters who know Warren as a GM suburb that you drive through, to get to Lake St. Clair or the Pointes. So rather than trying to attack my background to discredit me, why don't you let my posts speak for themselves? If they're bad people will ignore me. There are my limitations. I don't know crap about Downriver, Northern Macomb County, Washtenaw/Livingston Counties, or most of the neighborhoods in Detroit - but based on my career, my interests, and where I spend a lot of my time, I know quite a bit about Oakland County, Southern Macomb, Greater Downtown Detroit, and NW Wayne County, including its history, especially for some punk kid who didn't even know what a coney, a party store, or the 696 were 2 years ago

Regarding crime in Warren, according to City-Data's statistics crime has decreased by about 30% over the last 10 years. Since comparing 2007 to 2017 is sort of cherry picking the worst year against the best year, even comparing the good economy of 2004 to the recently-post-recession world of 2012 indicates about a 10% drop in crime. Regarding violent crime, rape has been trending up, while murder, assault, and robberies have all been down - mimicking a trend pretty typical of America over the last 10 years.

Is South Warren nice or in any way upscale? No. Ryaninmetro's DetroitNews article does a pretty good job of explaining that. Is South Warren some "rapidly decaying", crime-lord ruled, ghetto nightmare? Also no, not even close. It's a typical working-class area that isn't great, but if you're earning 40k a year, living on a tight budget, and looking to buy your first home... it may not be not a bad place to live. In fact it reminds me a lot of the first place my wife and I bought a home. We're not all earning 6 digits, we're not all debating between Birmingham and Northville. If someone asks for advice on crime in South Warren it should be expressed for what it is, not one's own interpretation on whether or not it acceptable to them. South Warren has more crime than most Detroit suburbs, but it's about average with typical working class Suburban America.

With the exception of this one, I don't address your posts because of your condescending tone and the fact that you claim to know more than I, SOMEONE WHO LIVES THERE.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 615pickles View Post
Hey! My husband and I are looking to purchase our first home. We saw one in the Warren area by nine mile and van dyke, but I personally don't know how safe some of the Detroit suburbs are and the neighborhoods within them. Thanks!

I beg of you to read the article from Detroit News about what is happening to South Warren because it is what lies in wait for you if you move to the area. Please don't repeat my mistake. And please take a first-hand account from me who regrets everyday I have to come home to South Warren.

South Warren: The

Old 07-22-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaninmetro View Post
With the exception of this one, I don't address your posts because of your condescending tone and the fact that you claim to know more than I, SOMEONE WHO LIVES THERE.
Sorry, I don't mean to be condescending - sometimes typing on the internet doesn't come across as it is meant. I'm sure you have a lot of experience with the area and that shouldn't be marginalized. I'll do better at respecting that in the future, while still giving my own perspective, as it too is valid.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:11 AM

21,140 posts, read 19,722,567 times
If you're concerned about safety, my suggestion would be to live in the most expensive area that you can afford without going in over your head. Generally, the more expensive areas are going to be the safest. If South Warren is the best you can afford, make the best of it.

You can avoid being the target of crime with some common sense. Don't leave your car unlocked...and running unattended (that always makes me smh ), don't leave expensive stuff in your car or outside your home. Park your car in driveway instead of street. Close all window, lock all doors (car and house). Plant picker bushes below your windows. Have a dog or at least a "beware of dog" sign. Install motion detector lights. Don't go out at night unless necessary. Leave light and radio on in house when you are away. Etc.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:42 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,650 times
Quote:
Considering I spend anywhere from 25-30% of my week in Warren and eat lunch in the 9 Mile/Van Dyke area about twice a month, I'd say I actually do know Warren/Center Line pretty well -
I don't know you or the area but I have a daughter and son-in-law who are cops. Both work 4-midnight + (often held over till 4 AM or even 8 AM) and I can say from talking to them that what happens in an area at noon sometimes can be very different than after dark. All I am saying is your lunch time experience may not be indicative of what happens when the sun goes down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit