Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 12:11 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,998 times

Advertisements

This is something I've been wanting the city to do for a while now to get the city more vibrant business wise.

$125 million plan would rehab commercial corridors across Detroit | Crain's Detroit Business

Together, 23 neighborhoods across Detroit would see their commercial corridors improved. The work will impact 17 areas throughout the city, including:
  • Southwest/West Vernor Corridor
  • Islandview/Greater Villages
  • Grand River/Northwest
  • Livernois and McNichols
  • Rosa Parks/Clairmount
  • Banglatown
  • Russell Woods
  • Jefferson Chalmers
  • Delray
  • Eastern Market
  • Osborn
  • East English Village
  • Corktown
  • Brush Park
  • East Riverfront
  • I-94 Industrial Corridor
  • Warrendale and Cody Rouge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 12:57 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
What are they going to do with $125 million? Plant grass? Construction work is expensive. One freeway bridge and ramp costs that much. You need ten times that just to revitalize Delray. I guess a start is better than nothing, but it is like saying I am going to fix up my house, I have $12.

They should spend that on one neighborhood.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:37 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,251,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
What are they going to do with $125 million? Plant grass? Construction work is expensive. One freeway bridge and ramp costs that much. You need ten times that just to revitalize Delray. I guess a start is better than nothing, but it is like saying I am going to fix up my house, I have $12.

a good observation. (we don't always disagree )

Old 10-20-2017, 01:56 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
a good observation. (we don't always disagree )
See? Yo are not so bad after all.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:31 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times
Why bother? It will be torn apart before its finished

Old 10-20-2017, 07:51 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

I'm curious to see what this is going to do as well. I imagine it's going to be more pedestrian friendly, plant a few trees, maybe a bike line, something like that. I'm going to hope this is the start of a larger plan, possibly part of the 15 minute neighborhood plan?. They have the right idea of trying to get a large concentration of businesses in the same area and create demand.

Quote:
Why bother? It will be torn apart before its finished
Today 03:56 PM
can you elaborate because I'm not sure what you mean?

Old 10-20-2017, 09:44 PM

290 posts, read 313,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
I'm curious to see what this is going to do as well. I imagine it's going to be more pedestrian friendly, plant a few trees, maybe a bike line, something like that. I'm going to hope this is the start of a larger plan, possibly part of the 15 minute neighborhood plan?. They have the right idea of trying to get a large concentration of businesses in the same area and create demand.

can you elaborate because I'm not sure what you mean?
It means supposedly she moved to a nicer area(pleasantville) and she has no more issues and problems and is happy as a pig in slop but for some reason, she has to come back to the "worst place on earth" and try to make it worse in her mind. Makes her happier than a pig in slop.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:10 PM

21,148 posts, read 19,729,843 times
The money would be better used to tear down abandoned, dilapidated buildings. Diving past miles of decayed storefronts to get to that 1/4 mile of fancy “streetscapes” isn’t a winning combination. Get rid of the eyesores and business will voluntarily come here and invest in new businesses.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:04 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
This could be used to bring some stoplights at intersections up to "modern" standards, meaning replacing diagonal wired spans with a four way directional setup.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:59 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,713,034 times
The article says "Pave walkable streetscape". So planting trees, fixing up street light, fresh coat of paint, maybe throw in some trashcan on walkway..sounds about right. It don't think this plan is about connecting neighborhoods (making people drive miles until they reach another bubble with in the city). The goal is to keep the residents in the neighborhoods happy in their area and shop locally instead of driving to mall in suburb.

On side note: wooohooo Banglatown made it on the list. I guess its official now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: