Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 06:37 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

What really makes Detroit style pizza is the type of bread used for the crust (Focaccia). It also requires being placed in the pan correctly (not all the way to the edge) and cheese that goes out past the crust so it burns around the edges of the pizza.

Yes, all of those things make a significant difference. The difference between great tasting and Meh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 07:47 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
When I worked at Little Caesar's in 1973-74 (East Lansing), and then again in 1977 (Ann Arbor), we had a variety of deep dish pizza that was their version of Detroit style pizza, and it was pretty new then.

They didn't do a particularly creditable job of it, although the characteristics were that we made it with the same dough as the regular pizza, we would put it in the pans and let it rise, and we would use the same cheese and sauce as the regular pizza, although pretty much spread the way a Detroit pizza would be done. We were never told to spread the cheese all the way out to the edges, the way Detroit pizza is supposed to be done. We didn't sell that many and they weren't great.

Last fall, as one of our pandemic activities, a bunch of people in my family, mostly from Michigan, took a Zoom classs from Zingerman's in Ann Arbor that included Detroit pizza. We had a good time and I actually liked the Detroit pizza. I haven't made it since, although I can see having it in my rotation; I don't think I'll ever make it as often as I make my regular pizza, which I make pretty much every week.

Old 03-17-2021, 07:59 PM

2,138 posts, read 1,208,096 times
Using motor oil instead of olive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit