Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 11:09 PM

175 posts, read 464,874 times

Advertisements

Riding go-karts near Northland
Going to Edgewater Park (Old radio slogan:Where the twist is calling you
Crusin' Woodward Ave
Going to Carl's Chop House with my Dad and brother
Hanging out on Livernois ave
Chowing down on White castle burgers on Telegraph road
Listening to CKLW radio
Listening to Tiger games when Willie Horten was hitting out homers every day
Going to Kensington Park
Fishing at Orchard lake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 11:35 AM

58 posts, read 245,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Does anyone remember the explosion that happened at the Ford/Rouge complex in the boiler department not too long ago?
Yep. My husband used to deliver fuel at the rouge plant, & thankfully, he wasn't near the boiler that day!!

I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but here are some of my memories:

Edgewater park (wasn't it on 7 mile?) It was just down the street from my Grandma's in Detroit.

Playing "pickle" in the street

Faygo pop

Going down to the "crick" (rouge river) to play

The huge wavy slide at Bell isle

Going to the "five & dime" at 7 mile & Beech Daly

Soaping car windows on devils night

When tigers won the world series

Pulling up this small red chair (that I still have) to the screen door & watching thunder storms....how I missed those storms when I lived in California!

Enjoying Sanders sundays at the Livonia mall

Belvidere (sp?) commercials..."We do good work!" lol. My Dad used to work for them.

We moved to California when I was 11 & I was so home sick. I came back here 9 years ago with my family....the winters can be hard, but, I will always call Michigan my home!

Old 07-24-2008, 05:35 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,947 times
I left Detroit in 2000. I shouldn't be surprised that some of the things in my old neighborhood have changed significantly, but it still gets to me how quickly things changed.

Looking at Google Street View, I see that my old neighbor's house was abandoned (he was old; he may have died, because he grew his own food and didn't say anything about leaving anytime soon.) I also saw that an entire neighborhood around Cooper Elementary School was demolished. The school closed down last year, I think, so the school has probably been demolished as well.

I didn't have many fond memories; I was still a child at the time and most of the area was decaying, but I remember regularly buying snacks at a store on Strong & Canton/Helen. I don't know if it's still open, but it doesn't look like it on Street View.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:51 PM

44 posts, read 126,743 times
I remember the cops on horseback on Belle Isle and feeding the horses apples as a kid. That was really something for a little city kid. I also remember going (by bus) to JL Hudsons with my grandma and eating a Mickey Mouse ice cream thing in the restaurant...I remember being fascinated because the decor had something to do with sailboats. Does anyone else remember that?..... Mickey Mouse's ears were made out of OREOS and he had a cherry nose.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:38 AM

116 posts, read 284,880 times
Talking Great memories

Edgewater Park-what a blast!
Swimming at Brennan Pools on hot summer days! Never got up the nerve to jump off the diving boards.
Playing tennis in Rouge Park.
Going sledding in Rouge Park
Ice skating at the Rouge rink, drinking hot chocolate.
Picnics in Rouge Park, playing by the crick.
Swimming at Kensington and Camp Dearborn.
Tour the Ford Plant
Vernors floats at the soda fountain/plant on Woodward.
The smell of New Era potato chips cooking(from the plant) when I visited Grandma. YUM
Visiting Belle Isle zoo and aquarium
The Detroit zoo with LOTS of animals to watch.
Visiting Detroit Metro observation deck to watch the planes take off and land.
Watching a double matinee (in the balcony) at the Redford theater on Saturday afternoon. A mostly kid event!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:41 PM

181 posts, read 607,583 times
Food at New Hella's!!!!
Majestic Cafe
Jacobson's
Skating at Fair Lawn
The tree-lined street I lived on in Royal Oak (Englewood Ave)
the original Vernor's
Better Made
Metro Times

Old 08-04-2008, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,624 times
Default Rouge Park Concerts

Does anyone remember the Rogue Park Rock Concerts down by the ice skating rinks? This must have been in the late 60's early 70's as I was 10 -12 years old. I think Iron Butterfly was playing one hot weekend afternoon. My first taste of live rock and roll. We rode our bikes there from Warren Rd and Evergreen.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:18 PM

225 posts, read 818,248 times
No, but I remember hall parties with local bands at Laura Hall on Warren. What a dump! I think it's an auto parts store now. It always reminded me of the Alamo on the outside.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:35 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
Going to the State Fair was a big one when I was younger. I went a couple years back and besides the shows and exhibits, I thought it was a pit.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:10 PM

44 posts, read 126,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcknrbn View Post
Does anyone remember the Rogue Park Rock Concerts down by the ice skating rinks? This must have been in the late 60's early 70's as I was 10 -12 years old. I think Iron Butterfly was playing one hot weekend afternoon. My first taste of live rock and roll. We rode our bikes there from Warren Rd and Evergreen.

No...but speaking of the 60's & 70's I remember when the "hippies" sort of got out of hand at Balduck Park and got busted by the "fuzz." WOW... I think I was listening to my older brother's Alice Cooper record at the time, and since we lived right across the street, people were running through our yard, it was quite a night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit