Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 11:25 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
7 Mile & Gratiot was basically its identical twin.

Cunninghams was where the McDonalds is now,
Fretter Appliances was at the corner of Maddelein & Gratiot (a pharmacy is there now)
Montgomery Wards was at the SW corner of Lappin & Gratiot (became a Shoppers World for some time after Montgomery Wards closed)
Woolworth's I believe was closer to 7 Mile and Gratiot on the westside
Sanders Ice Cream was at the corner of Gratiot and Pfent (building still stands vacant)

There was also a Federals, Winklemans, Hughes, & Hatcher, etc. in there too.

Whoever decided to destroy it (including the absolutely gorgeous Montgomery Wards building) for that suburban cluster**** there now needs to be thrown under the jail IMO.
There was, until a few years ago, still a sign painted on a brick wall for Wrigley's at 7/Gratiot. I have a picture of it from probably 2002. The Fretter still had Fretter signage until at least then, probably later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 07:42 AM

14 posts, read 45,167 times
I was in Detroit last night for the baseball game and before we went to Comerica Park, I drove through Rosedale Park and found my cousin's (actually my late uncle's) house. It stilll looks good but has been for sale for at least the past year (my cousin who was in Detroit last June for business told me it was for sale. He went by it while here and called the realtor who had the listing). While the homes still look nice, there were many vacant ones for sale, foreclosures I suppose. Redford and Cooley High Schools are now closed and the neighborhood around Cooley looks very rough. This is so sad to see because I remember when it was so very nice.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:14 AM

112 posts, read 500,942 times
As much as we old neighbors feel the tug of nostalgia, you can't ignor the fact that the reasons why most of left are still there or worse. Crime, poor schools (or no schools) and declining city services make Detroit a unenviable place to live.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,744 times
Default Great Pictures, Need More

I am currently doing a documentary on the transformation of the city. I grew up in this area between the 1970's and 1980's and was wondering if you had any other photos.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:13 AM

I've been looking for the last 4 or 5 years. They are hard to come by.
My email is paulmcall@comcast.net if you want to talk further.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:22 PM

Federals building still sits abandoned and boarded up. I hope to have a new source of
photos of the area (from back in the day) soon.
Let me know if you have any ok?

Old 06-18-2015, 01:58 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmcall View Post
Federals building still sits abandoned and boarded up. I hope to have a new source of
photos of the area (from back in the day) soon.
Let me know if you have any ok?
Do you have any photos of the northwest and southwest quadrant of that commercial district that shows the original storefronts before they were demolished by developer Herb Strather to put up those garbage stripmalls?

Old 11-21-2016, 09:08 AM

Yes, I have a few.
Contact me at Paulmcall@comcast.net

Old 08-02-2018, 03:29 PM

My book Detroit's Grand River and Greenfield Neighborhood is now listed on Barnes and Noble and Amazon.com.
You can get a discount on Barnes and Noble if you pre-order it.
Joseph McCauley

Old 09-02-2018, 01:21 PM

There are 161 photos (many of them in color) in this book.
You see fellow neighbors from the 50's, 60's and 70's in
their everyday life enjoying all the area would provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit