Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 06:46 PM

139 posts, read 501,424 times

Advertisements

Going to a Lions game in a couple weeks, was kind of considering going down on a Saturday and staying in a hotel. Id like to stay downtown, anybody have any experience with any hotels down there? Good or bad.

Id also prefer as cheap as possible, but cheap in Detroit probably = nasty or dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 12:34 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Marriot at the ren cen 9not cheap). The omni is cheaper and not bad. There is another major brand (Hilton or Sheraton).

Old 10-27-2008, 10:28 AM

266 posts, read 853,317 times
I always research the Trip Advisor website before staying anywhere! Check hotels along the People Mover route, then you can just park wherever you're staying and take the 50-cent ride to the game & back. We are staying at the RenCen (using Marriott points) on 11/8 for a Red Wings game so I can give a good review after that, I understand it is expensive if you have to use real money though.

Wherever you wind up staying, I suspect the deepest disappointment will be the game itself. Unless you're rooting for the Lions' opponent! ;-)

Old 10-28-2008, 09:19 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
If you're coming from out of town, you could also just stay out in the suburbs and drive into the city for the game.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:54 AM

39 posts, read 128,143 times
I stay downtown several times a year for Tiger/Lions games. The Hilton Garden Inn is great, newer hotel only a few blocks from the stadium. Typically rates are higher on the Saturday before Lions games. With tax will probably be between $150-190. Courtyard by Mariott is a little further away but still walking distance to the game. Sometimes the cost is a little less than the Garden Inn. Your cheapest option will be The Milner Hotel. I have never personally stayed there but have been told by others it is ok. It is an older hotel but it has been updated. It is very near the stadium and is also an easy walk. All of the places I've mentioned are in good areas of downtown. Another place to consider is the Holiday Inn Express. That one is a little further out towards Cobo Hall direction.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Is the restored Book Cadillac open yet?

Old 10-28-2008, 07:35 PM

39 posts, read 128,143 times
book cadillac just opened last week; not sure what room rates are there. I'd assume they are high but in this economy maybe not.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:55 PM

13 posts, read 82,656 times
I do recommend staying the night before and partaking in the nightlife, I have always had fun myself. Rates at the Book-Cadillac are about $189. However, staying at the Holiday Inn Express, which neighbors the Westin on Washington Blvd. usually runs around $100/night and is a 10 minute walk to the stadium. Ren Cen about $139, Courtyard Marriott roughly $129 (about 1 mile south of the stadium, though). I have stayed at all of these and all have been a positive experience. Despite it's price and proximity to Ford Field, do not attempt to stay The Leland, it is a dump. Have you ever tried booking through Hotwire.com or Priceline.com? By using these sites, you can typically book several of these hotels for roughly half the rate, which becomes very reasonable. If you would like anymore information, let me know.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:18 AM

139 posts, read 501,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knocturnal View Post
I do recommend staying the night before and partaking in the nightlife, I have always had fun myself. Rates at the Book-Cadillac are about $189. However, staying at the Holiday Inn Express, which neighbors the Westin on Washington Blvd. usually runs around $100/night and is a 10 minute walk to the stadium. Ren Cen about $139, Courtyard Marriott roughly $129 (about 1 mile south of the stadium, though). I have stayed at all of these and all have been a positive experience. Despite it's price and proximity to Ford Field, do not attempt to stay The Leland, it is a dump. Have you ever tried booking through Hotwire.com or Priceline.com? By using these sites, you can typically book several of these hotels for roughly half the rate, which becomes very reasonable. If you would like anymore information, let me know.
Thanks for the site suggestions! I've been searching for some hotels in the burbs, and they look pretty reasonable. I'm not sure which burb to stay in though, we want to go to a club, so were trying to find a hotel with a club close to it, somewhere around Detroit.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:58 PM

999 posts, read 4,528,271 times
If you have a car, why not drive straight out Woodward to the suburbs north of 8 Mile and stay at a motel out that way? The stadium is on Woodward, so you can't get lost....OR, why not go to the Windsor Ballet and stay in Windsor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit