Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 03:12 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,986 times
I think the Wings being an elite team should have an elite team building. Ilitch will NEVER move the team out of the downtown area. I did not read how long the lease was for but I'd be willing to bet there is a clause in it the Wings can move into their own building when it is built. I'd be willing to bet there is already a plan in place and it has already been designed by the best people money can buy. Ilitch does not do personal business cheaply. He likes the fact he owns so much in the downtown area, it's his legacy and the guy has and ego bigger than Joe Louis, Ford Field, Comerica Park and The Palace put together. Hell you could even throw Cobo in there, that's just the way the guy is. I'd be willing to bet they break ground within a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 04:51 PM

902 posts, read 1,926,275 times
Lansing, or Jackson, or Kalamazoo, or Houghton or Flint

Flint/KZoo had trouble supporting the KWings/Generals in the best of times.

I think this scenario is played out in every State that has pro teams . Put the team in or near a major city and they'll have a better chance of selling tickets . We are a founding team (Original 6 ) of the NHL , if they ever move out of Detroit , it won't be far .

Old 07-28-2009, 05:04 PM

398 posts, read 1,040,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCgoblue View Post
For the sake of all fans, I hope no team ever follows the FedEx Field model ever again.
Right, fans should want to avoid the successful model of the Redskins and embrace the failed model of the Caps/Wizards.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I'd be willing to bet they break ground within a year.
I'll take that bet. He already renewed at the Joe for a few more years.

And Illitch could never afford to build an arena on his own. Are you asking taxpayers to subsidize yet another money-losing arena?

Old 07-29-2009, 07:25 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
Right, fans should want to avoid the successful model of the Redskins and embrace the failed model of the Caps/Wizards.
I don't know about the Wizards, but the Caps are doing pretty good. I agree that the Fedex field is in the wrong place. It should have been built on the same site as RFK Stadium (yes, I mean tear down and replace RFK).

The highways in Detroit are built to take people from suburbs to city. That's why I think it should be built in the city.

Last edited by dkf747; 07-29-2009 at 07:42 AM..

Old 08-02-2009, 09:31 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,523 times
I really like the Joe and I hate that the new arena will be massive with half the seats being really bad (whereas the Joe has great seats, even in the nosebleeds) and some stupid Corporate name.

But I guess I have to accept that the Joe's time has come.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:33 PM

65 posts, read 158,773 times
Quote:
Ummm, FedEx Field is the second most profitable NFL stadium. How is it a "stupid mistake"?

And the Palace is the most profitable arena in the nation. It couldn't be more successful. Compare to downtown's JLA, which has no demand for events.

If anything, one could argue that JLA is a mistake.
Have you ever been to FedEx? It's a crap location with nothing around it. Snyder desperately wants to move the Redskins back into DC

Old 08-09-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn A. View Post
Have you ever been to FedEx? It's a crap location with nothing around it. Snyder desperately wants to move the Redskins back into DC
LOL, you are just making things up!

Snyder freely choose to move to Landover, and it's the best decision he ever made. He has been making bucketfulls of money ever since.

Abd who cares if there's nothing around it? It's a football stadium! It's better for Snyder if there's nothing around it. He wants people spending money in the stadium, not near the stadium.

And it's irrelevent anyways. Who goes shoe shopping or kayaking before/after a football game? They go for the game, and don't care if there are malls, recreation or other crap close to the stadium.

And they used to be at RFK which was a dumpy stadium in even a worse location, so what's your point? The RFK area is really dangerous, moreso even than Landover.

Or are you complaining because of lack of transit access? Who cares? Football fans like to tailgate, and they overwhelmingly prefer to drive to stadia. If you insist on taking transit, it's very easy to get to Landover by rail anyways, and then just take the shuttle bus.

But 90% of fans appreciate the convenient location just off the Beltway, as opposed to the former crap stadium in the ghetto, and far from major roadways.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:10 PM

65 posts, read 158,773 times
Quote:
LOL, you are just making things up!
I'm from DC, I have a bit of a clue on this..

Quote:
Snyder freely choose to move to Landover, and it's the best decision he ever made. He has been making bucketfulls of money ever since.
YOU are making things up. The stadium was built before Snyder took ownership of the team and stadium. Jack Kent Cooke went with that location and died shortly before it was ready to go. Ticket prices, guaranteed sellouts due to so many companies buying tickets as benefits for employees, a huge stadium, etc.. are what make it tons of money. Snyder's marketing has helped a lot, he didn't make the money BECAUSE of the move. Snyder WANTS a stadium in DC and DC wants a stadium in DC.. there was a 30 year deal signed though for the Skins to play at FedEx; one that's been greatly explored as far as ways to get out of it; the stadium was actually built so as where it could be easily converted into a mall, office space, etc...

Quote:
Abd who cares if there's nothing around it? It's a football stadium! It's better for Snyder if there's nothing around it. He wants people spending money in the stadium, not near the stadium.
Man do you know anything? Jesus Christ.. If they're in the stadium they won't be spending their money anywhere but there. Why do you think that businesses choose locations in popular areas, even if they have direct competition? Are you 12?

Quote:
And it's irrelevent anyways. Who goes shoe shopping or kayaking before/after a football game? They go for the game, and don't care if there are malls, recreation or other crap close to the stadium.
You're right, convenience of travel, etc have nothing to do with it... why not just build the stadium in the middle of the woods where nothing else would be in the way?!!?!?! Take a course in economics, real estate, or just one in common sense...

Quote:
And they used to be at RFK which was a dumpy stadium in even a worse location, so what's your point? The RFK area is really dangerous, moreso even than Landover.
How was it a worse location? There were several routes for most of the fans to come in on, good metro access, etc etc etc.. That area nowadays is a bit different than it was then. Plus the stadium had a ton of character. It was time for it to end but it was a great stadium to watch football in. I'm guessing that the Nationals didn't know what they were doing when locating to basically the same exact area though, right?

Quote:
Or are you complaining because of lack of transit access? Who cares? Football fans like to tailgate, and they overwhelmingly prefer to drive to stadia. If you insist on taking transit, it's very easy to get to Landover by rail anyways, and then just take the shuttle bus.
I love to tailgate but I'm not everyone, you should take the same approach when thinking about tens of thousands of people in a city and metro area. Are you the spokesperson for all football fans? Have you ever taken the metro/shuttle from DC to Landover? Do you even know the changes that have happened with that?

Quote:
But 90% of fans appreciate the convenient location just off the Beltway, as opposed to the former crap stadium in the ghetto, and far from major roadways.

Clueless

We are all more stupid for having read this post of yours.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:09 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
Calm down please. If you want to get personal, do it in private.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit