Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 11:19 PM

8 posts, read 44,047 times

Advertisements

So I was driving through No-where, South Dakota (literally in the middle of 50-100 sq. miles of pure prairie) on a straightaway that had to be at least fifty miles long (still not exaggerating). I was by myself, meaning I hadn't passed or seen a car on the road for about fifteen minutes. Anyway, a cop was coming in the opposite direction and lasered me from probably a mile away or so and saw that I was going 13 over. He pulled me over and gave me a ticket for 5 over or something arbitrary like that.

Anyway, I've only been in SD for a month and a half, and am only here for another couple of weeks and then I'm leaving the country for three months before settling into college back home in Michigan (the state of my legal residence). Now, honestly, do I have to pay this $90 bad boy?

Last edited by Topher502SPC; 03-28-2009 at 11:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 03:27 AM

362 posts, read 1,503,020 times
Yes

Old 03-29-2009, 11:23 AM

So does that mean it's going to follow me back to Michigan?

Old 03-29-2009, 12:24 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher502SPC View Post
So does that mean it's going to follow me back to Michigan?
It very well may follow you on your record. Depends on if SD and Michigan has a reciprocal agreement on traffic violations. There have been some states I have gotten stopped in that showed up on my MI driving record and others that have not showed up. For sure if you do NOT pay it there will be a SD warrant for your arrest, that has a higher probability of showing up. Just cough up the $90 and call it a cheap lesson learned.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:03 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
It very well may follow you on your record. Depends on if SD and Michigan has a reciprocal agreement on traffic violations. There have been some states I have gotten stopped in that showed up on my MI driving record and others that have not showed up. For sure if you do NOT pay it there will be a SD warrant for your arrest, that has a higher probability of showing up. Just cough up the $90 and call it a cheap lesson learned.
Sounds like the voice of experience speaking.

You'd hate to be cruising through SD in 2019, get pulled over and busted & towed for an outsanding $90 warrant.
Seems remote, but I've seen it happen on Cops and other such shows before.

Clear it up, make it go away.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:49 PM

87 posts, read 232,093 times
Yes, you should pay it. If you don't you will be unable to renew your license in Michigan because SD will put a hold on your license through the NDR (National Drivers Register) and the PDPS (Problem Driver Pointer System). Federal law requires all motor vehicle licensing offices in all 50 states and DC to check the NDR and PDPS before issuing or renewing a drivers license. The problem with this "database" is the only identifiers used are name and birthdate. If you have a common name, you might be caught up in the fiasco of having to clear a ticket that was not issued to you, but was given to someone that shares your name and birthdate (nice, huh??). I know; it happened to me.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:12 AM
tcb

198 posts, read 680,144 times
Pay it, it's not worth not paying it, I know too many people that figured they won't worry about it cause it was out of state and things turned out bad for them. It's well worth the $90 then how much you would pay if you took the risk to save the $90s and get caught.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:59 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
No. Do not pay it. How dare they ticket you for breaking their laws!. In fact, send them a bill for delaying you on your trip both by stopping you to write a ticket and for making you drive slower. CHarge them for the time you lost. If they do not pay it, sue them.

Maybe you will end up with a warrant for your arrest and end up doing some prision time if you ever drive through SD again, and maybe it will eventually make its way to Michigan and show up on your record, or even you run the risk of doing a little jail time once this catches up with you, and your insurance rates will go up, you might have to hire a lawyer to clean it all up for you. However, you will save $90 and you will probably get in the newspaper for having the audacity to sue them for your time. I will be worth it. Go for it!

Old 04-05-2009, 05:17 PM

Woa...someone needs a life.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:43 AM

509 posts, read 1,349,881 times
Appartently you did not get the response on South Dakota's Forum that you were looking for Topher, you think that just because it was wide open country you don't need to pay the ticket? What would have happened if you were speeding in the middle of nowhere and someones dog or a child ran out into the road as you came over the hill, would you have been able to stop before hurting or more likely killing them? Next time think about that before you complain about a $90 ticket in podunk South Dakota!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit