Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 06:01 AM

166 posts, read 344,769 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband is under Brac, we have to go to MI but he has a job offer in Huntsville. We have to decide in three days. What would a Michigan native have to say since you know Michigan so well. Would you say, yes come here, it's great! Or would you say no, stay away! Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 06:35 AM

484 posts, read 1,216,952 times
Default Have a job?

Sounds like your husband would have a job here so I say, come on up!

You'll find great deals in housing and a cheap cost-of-living. It's great to be a contrarian in times like these; everyone else seems to be moving south, which means people with means should start looking north...remember, following the heard is rarely a good long-term strategy. With a job in hand, take advantage of it.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:05 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,531 times
We don't get Hurricanes.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
If you have employment it is great.

CAn you play the banjo?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:49 PM

17 posts, read 137,306 times
I am in michigan, get the bama job. I was laid off in Jan and I don't see any hope. Very depressing.

What kind of job in michigan though??? I won't even put my kids working for the auto industries. Everyone who is laid off wish thier next job is outside the auto industries

Housing here is getting cheap. Many people here can no longer afford it with no jobs. Many home values had dropped like 50% than what it was apprasied 3 yrs ago.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:00 AM

166 posts, read 344,769 times
Quote:
What kind of job in michigan though???
Tacom.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:24 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wls2624 View Post
Hello! My husband is under Brac, we have to go to MI but he has a job offer in Huntsville. We have to decide in three days. What would a Michigan native have to say since you know Michigan so well. Would you say, yes come here, it's great! Or would you say no, stay away! Thoughts?

4 seasons vs 2 seasons. I'll take 4!!!

(Then there is the other 4 seasons, Hockey, Basketball, Football, Baseball!!!!)

Old 04-09-2009, 05:05 PM

23 posts, read 87,174 times
My advice would be only move here if both YOU and HIM have employment. My husband and I moved last year for his job. I didn't think it would take me long to find a job here. BOY, WAS I WRONG. It is almost 1 year now and I still haven't found one. I Don't mean to scare you off but this is a reality and I didn't realize how hard it was to find jobs here. I would reccommend that you do some research and take longer than 3 days to decide on the move. List all your pros and cons. Hope this helps you decide.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:49 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Choose Michigan! This is a great state with great people, great outdoor activities, and breathtaking natural beauty. Alabama can't even come close to the beauty that is Michigan. If you're lucky enough to have a job this should be a no-brainer. Don't follow the herd, go north!

Old 04-09-2009, 07:37 PM

262 posts, read 781,770 times
Default How odd

I am in Huntsville and I have worked at TACOM. First to casual readers BRAC is the Base Closure law, TACOM is the 'Tank Plant' (they have not made tanks there for over a decade) located at 11 mile Rd and Van Dyke in Warren.

Warren or metro Detroit is not civil servant friendly in general, the roads well they suck, taxation in every aspect except property taxes are so close you will be within 100.00 per year. Property Taxes vary but a rule of thumb is michigan property taxes are 4 - 6 times greater. Translation you will have say 300.00 more per month to buy HOUSE and not TAX, that is roughly 50,000 more house. The schools ARE NOT superior as Northerners will tell you. The weather in Michigan is grey, overcast days seem to outnumber sunny days this is because of the great lakes. There ARE NO HURRICANES Huntsville (it is 20 miles from Tennesse). There are tornados in Michigan and Alabama.

The quality of homes in Michigan is fantastic if it is still 1978 when Michigan was at the top of its game, Now that is not the case. A new all brick home with 4 BR 4 BA w/ 9' walls granite counter tops in the kitchen can easily be had for 220K or so, and it is 6 miles from Redstone Aresenal all an a 4 lane POT HOLE FREE freeway. Visit TACOM and drive I-696 or Van Dkye let me know how snooth it is. Or if you drive 15 miles you can get a home on a mountain, further and you get a several square mile lake.

Summer, ah summer northerners love to trump us on this one. Yes it is hotter here, also spring comes 6 weeks earlier and fall later. Its not snowy in the winter, that is the upside. Usually it will snow once in the winter, it is gone by the next day

Huntsville has over 15,000 civil servant jobs, TACOM has what under 5,000 (?).

I can go on and on. I spent over 30 years in Michigan, now I hate to come back even for a visit. I am not bitter just realistic.

Last edited by Toymeister; 04-09-2009 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit