Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:54 PM

214 posts, read 1,061,720 times

Advertisements

Hi im new to the forum and want to know more about this area and the rest of the city. where are the worst neighborhoods. And is this area in decline at least sort of since 2000 with more vacant homes, crime ,school closings and michigans economic climate how have these things affected this area. Areas like the springwells ,michigan ave, delray, warren livernois neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 10:34 PM

695 posts, read 3,411,521 times
Delray is really not good at all. There used to be a lot of lively neighborhoods, but aside from a few houses with people living in them in pretty poor conditions, it seems pretty dead.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:12 AM

52 posts, read 270,292 times
Seriously?

SW is thriving. I was born in 89 when this neighborhood was considered dying. Due to immigration and preservation efforts, SW Detroit has been considered a neighborhood in progress. However, there still are issues with gangs an drugs in certain spots but it has lightened up. I'll go as far as saying that this is the only part (non-Downtown-Midtown) in Detroit that is actually getting better.

Delray is bad however, and chances are that in a few years it will be completely leveled.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:54 AM

Thanks for answersing guys I was born in 87 and left in 2000 and was curious about it. Mexicantown seemed pretty good but most of SW wasnt. Like i said with the economy, school closings,foreclosures, etc maybe its starting to decline. Michigan ave wasnt that great even before, and springwells has alot of gang problems and crime, delray sounds gone ,warren livernois i dont know how thats doing. Can someobdy tell me if the areas ive listed have improved or declined since 2000. Thank you

Old 07-08-2008, 06:38 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic774 View Post
Seriously?

SW is thriving. I was born in 89 when this neighborhood was considered dying. Due to immigration and preservation efforts, SW Detroit has been considered a neighborhood in progress. However, there still are issues with gangs an drugs in certain spots but it has lightened up. I'll go as far as saying that this is the only part (non-Downtown-Midtown) in Detroit that is actually getting better.
This post made my day. I was active in SW Detroit back in '89 and remember how bad things were getting. It's so good to hear that things are getting better now.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:49 PM

866 posts, read 4,258,930 times
I remember the "days of Delray" when there were thriving Hungarian-American bakeries. It is sad to see Delray once Detroit's "Little Hungary" die into nothing.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:33 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Is there anything left in Delray?

IN the "downtown" section of Delray there is a great outboard motor shop and one bar, that is about it. The area is surrounded by acres and acres of empty lots and collapsing houses. Are there any people living there anymore?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:52 PM

I agree that good economy and immigration in the 90`s helped it out but now is a different story from people I know they say its declining . w vernor is still thriving but less than before. I lived on central by j kronk (now in phoenix) and it was bad drive bys ,gang violence, abandonment, drop outs,etc it was hell I cant imagine it thiriving. SW detroit is better in terms of diversity, retail and stuff but it deals with the same propblems like the rest of the city. Mexicantown- hubbard farms are what people think about sw detroit but theres alot more than that and it wasnt good.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:36 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,483,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson7 View Post
Hi im new to the forum and want to know more about this area and the rest of the city. where are the worst neighborhoods. And is this area in decline at least sort of since 2000 with more vacant homes, crime ,school closings and michigans economic climate how have these things affected this area. Areas like the springwells ,michigan ave, delray, warren livernois neighborhoods.
As mentioned, Delray is dilapidated nowadays. It's quite eerie-looking nowadays.

Springwells, between I-75/Vernor is alright, in my opinon. It's still "rough" though. Thankfully, Vernor corridor compliments it, which has seen good improvements since the days i've lived around there. You can, in my opinion, get away with a car in that stretch of neighborhood. IMO-If i were to move around there again, it'd be in this region in southwest. (Central-Vernor-Clark-Springwells) This area has defied the odds. Nice to see it whenever i visit from time to time.

I'd stay away from neighborhoods on/around Michigan Ave east and west of Livernois. It tends to attract trouble meaning you'd likely get some "spill-overs" from strip-bars, bars, prostitutes and the likes.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:28 PM

Thanks blue grass fever man for answersing w vernor is probably the best street in the city to me. But most of sw detroit is declining right. Accept the area you said you would live in again the rest is in decline though. Do you think mexicantown- hubbard farms will survive the economy, foreclosures, gangs, school closings, etc I read a article in the freep saying its vexed by crime. Is central around j kronk worse then I remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit