Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 12:15 PM

584 posts, read 2,422,911 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting Detroit next week and wanted to drive over to the Coffee Exchange to spend a few hours (ok, there's a weird thing in me that thinks it's cool to say I've driven over to CA for coffee).

I know I have to bring my passport, but couple of other questions.

Being so close to the border, do you know if coffee shops and the like will take my Yankee money or am I better off using my credit card and jusy paying the 2% conversion?

I'm guessing there are street parking meters and, again, guessing they'll only take C$ - anyone confirm?

Is there a toll charge across the border?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 03:12 PM

84 posts, read 302,951 times
You don't need a passport to cross the border (this rule doesn't go into effect until June 1st). You do need a birth certificate and a form of photo ID.

Pretty much every store/restaurant in Windsor takes US money. Currently, the city of Windsor municipal workers are on strike so you won't need to pay anything at parking meters or in municipal lots. Parking meters only take Canadian coins.

There is a toll to cross the border... it's something like $3.50 or $4 US (it changes often).

Old 05-02-2009, 05:34 PM

902 posts, read 1,925,769 times
And here's the info from the Secretary Of State on the enhanced driver's license . Pay close attention to which S.O.S. office you can apply for one as not all will take apps .

Old 05-04-2009, 10:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
They are happy to take US money. However they do not always give you a fair exchange rate.

The lines at the bridge/tunnel can be very long. I once wiated for over an hour to get accross. If you get singled out to have your car searched, it will be a lot longer (that has not happened to me).

DO NOT bring kids with you unless you have their birth certificates. If you do not, you will have a huge problem.

There is a card that you can get that shortcuts the passport issue. I cannot remember what it is called. I need to apply for one, so if anyone knows what it is called, please let me know. We cross into Canada often in a boat, and we really need to have something with us at all times.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:46 PM

156 posts, read 469,652 times
I just applied for passport cards for my sons. According to the website, it will take 4-6 weeks to get the cards.
U.S. Passport Card Frequently Asked Questions

Old 05-05-2009, 08:28 AM

If you really want to be cool, swim over to Canada for coffee. Just don't drown. You had better be a really good swimmer and make sure you know where you are going to come out. Make sure that you are accompanied by a boat. I know the some people do it. I couldn't. It is over a mile and the current is very strong.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:38 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If you really want to be cool, swim over to Canada for coffee. Just don't drown. You had better be a really good swimmer and make sure you know where you are going to come out. Make sure that you are accompanied by a boat. I know the some people do it. I couldn't. It is over a mile and the current is very strong.
We used to do that when I lived in the Soo. Teenagers, you know; never thought about getting run over by the 1000 footers or getting tired.

Oh and the new ID card that you can use for travel between the US and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean is the Enhanced ID. http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7...627---,00.html

Old 05-05-2009, 11:09 AM

584 posts, read 2,422,911 times
Hmmm....I'll drive, but thanks for the offer. I'm pretty sure my laptop wouldn't survive the swim.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:10 PM

84 posts, read 302,951 times
^ The current would drag you right into Lake Erie before you could make it across anyway - not to mention the water is still frigid this time of year.

The wait times at the border have been drastically reduced over the past year as more customs booths have opened and traffic has decreased. I've crossed several times in the past few months and the wait is often less than 5 minutes. Having your car searched is extremely unlikely and will only happen if you have lots of stuff inside it or if you act suspicious.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty870 View Post
^ The current would drag you right into Lake Erie before you could make it across anyway - not to mention the water is still frigid this time of year.
People do it on occaision (crazy people that is). One of them drwoned just last year. Not this time of year, but in the summer. They have to swim agaisnt the current and they still end up way down from where they start, but apparently it can be done. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit