Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:01 PM

266 posts, read 853,317 times

Advertisements

I love that show! We watched a few that were shot within the last year, one was a young couple buying a starter (fixer-upper) in Clawson, and another was a couple of golfers who wanted a big house closer to their golf club in Bloomfield Hills. After watching other episodes where people can basically buy a shed for $400K in Denver, I'm sure people across the country flipped out about the huge gorgeous houses available in the Bloomfield Hills area for less than $300K! I particularly liked the Clawson episode because they also looked around Royal Oak and I knew exactly where they were.

It is really nice that they made the D look like a good city. It would be just as easy for the producers to say "the buyer wants to live far enough away from the crime and economic disaster in Detroit" which is what every other article or show seems to be saying about us. It makes me like the show even more because they chose to refer to our city in a positive light!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 01:49 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
There is also a cable show called "Parking Wars", which usually shows parking agents giving tickets and booting cars in Philly or Detroit. Detroit looks Pretty good in that show also.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:03 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,276,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanniepep View Post
I love that show! We watched a few that were shot within the last year, one was a young couple buying a starter (fixer-upper) in Clawson, and another was a couple of golfers who wanted a big house closer to their golf club in Bloomfield Hills. After watching other episodes where people can basically buy a shed for $400K in Denver, I'm sure people across the country flipped out about the huge gorgeous houses available in the Bloomfield Hills area for less than $300K! I particularly liked the Clawson episode because they also looked around Royal Oak and I knew exactly where they were.

It is really nice that they made the D look like a good city. It would be just as easy for the producers to say "the buyer wants to live far enough away from the crime and economic disaster in Detroit" which is what every other article or show seems to be saying about us. It makes me like the show even more because they chose to refer to our city in a positive light!
Part of the reason for my post was because ( not to knock Chicago) but when they showed Chicago on one episode I watched it really truly looked like a dumpy place to live. Of course they avoided showing the housing in Detroit on that episode LOL but I remember turning to my wife and saying. Gross, who the hell would want to live in that part of the city? ( in Chicago) It just looked very dirty and even though the homes looked fairly nice the old dark brown brick buildings with no windows within view of the front yard and then the el train running past just looked terrible.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:24 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Back in the early days of "House Hunters" they spent most of their time in LA and its various suburbs. Boy, did they make LA look like one big dump! Most of the houses were tiny little cracker boxes whose only redeeming quality was hardwood floors. Remember those episodes? They didn't tell the price on those episodes either. I'm sure that if they would have, since some of them were filmed during the housing boom, we would have all had heart attacks when we learned that a 1,200 square foot "starter home" in LA cost $550,000, lol!

Anyway, I am thankful for any nationally televised program that shows the Detroit area in a positive light. Honestly guys, those of us who live here in Michigan know that Detroit actually does have SOME cool things to recommend it. No place is 100% bad, not even the D.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:51 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times
I live in Harper Woods (Not at the time being) and love it. The crime statistics are misleading. Most of the theft and property crime happen at Eastland Mall. The neighbors are friendly and the streets are safe. Yea it has slipped some, there are more vacant homes and more blacks are moving in. I have found however that the people moving into Harper Woods from Detroit are good people. They are looking to get away from the crime and terrible schools and city services Detroit offers.

I did watch this episode, and I think she overpaid. I paid $28,500 for my house and it was in nicer shape. Of all the cities in Metro Detroit, I was quite surprised they were in one the smallest and possibly least talked about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit