Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:50 PM

73,117 posts, read 62,771,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieMirsade View Post
That may be an idea.
What about all the drug dealers (vampires and blood suckers ), gun dealers, dysfunctional schools and corrupt politicians.

I grew up in a town of about 20 000 people. I swear to God there were no junkies in that place....UNTIL the drug pushers appeared, and set up shop in all the local bars and clubs.

Now there are about 35 addicts on methadone treatment at the local hospital, among them a distant relative who got hooked on that **it in the big city.

Of course, the crime rate is up. Crime is on the increase and the local cops just can`t figure out ($$$$ ) who the big dealers are.

A couple of local junkies (brothers) sold their inheritance (a house) when their parents passed away. Now, they`re still hooked, but also homeless.

A few more cases like that, and people will be fearing for their safety as the crime rate rises.
I don't think it would be a good idea to get rid of welfare and other programs. A time might happen when a person might need such things.

Drugs, on the other hand, are a complicated issues. Drugs are one of the main reasons that violence has gotten so bad in Detroit. In a way, I think that was the idea. During the 1960's and 1970's, COINTELPRO launched an operation to get rid of all of the dissident groups, especially the Black Panther Party. The Black Panther Party was founded as a response to the police brutality in major cities. The BPP was explicitly about the power structure. It was also considered a security threat. Drugs played a part in its downfall. Cocaine started showing up in many of these Black communities. It is thought of that the FBI brought the drugs in. However they got in, it put the African-American community into decline. Some members of the Black Panther Party turned to drugs. Many persons who turned their frustrations to fighting the injustices of the power structure turned their frustrations on each other. This manifested itself in the form of Black-on-Black violence in unprecedented numbers. Instead of community empowerment and trying to make things better, some people turned to selling drugs. The drug war that raged in the 1980's had its roots in earlier days. It is not only sad because drug addiction can destroy people, the way drug addiction is treated is sad. Cocaine is what crack is made from. Well, you will do more time for possessing 5 grams of cocaine. You won't do time for doing 5 grams of powder cocaine. It takes 100 times as much. Drugs did alot of damage to the African-American community, in more ways than one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 01:04 PM

21,196 posts, read 19,809,403 times
COINTELPRO? FBI? Are you serious? I'd like to see some evidence to back that up.

I agree that drugs have hurt the African-American community disproportionally, but why is there no condemnation of drugs within the A-A community. In fact, it seems to be almost acceptable among some. If drugs have been imposed on them by whites (presumably), where is the outrage?

Old 08-10-2010, 01:07 PM

530 posts, read 1,552,553 times
pirate,

Uh, during so-called "Hard Times" that's what family is for. Kids live with parents. Parents live with kids.

14 Year old Suzy or Kenesha getting knocked-up and then lavished with free room & board through Section-8 and Foodies breeds larger societal problems.

Look at The D. Most of the "Responsible" people get out ages ago and the majority of people left standing are recipients of Transfer Payments.

This includes General Motors.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:09 PM

348 posts, read 639,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
"Nothing such will happen..."

And who would have believed that an African-American woman talk-show host would become a multi-millionaire and open up a school in Africa instead of Detroit?
Let`s be frank.
Oprah didn`t ``get in`` just because of her talents and abilities (which I am not denying).

It was expected that more and more able and talented Blacks would be taking advantage of opportunities that were opening up.... and there for the taking.

Society was ready...and she was there...the right person at the right time.

What wasn`t expected....was the magnitude of her success...and there..... the credit is hers.

Detroit isn`t any Zulu`s mythical homeland.....and the mayors of Detroit don`t exactly have the reputation of a Nelson Mandela.

Thus, the likelihood of some powerful South African ``Brother`` doing charity work in Detroit remains....small....that is...unless he intends to make it a political statement.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:15 PM

I didn't mean to imply that Detroit should expect aid from South America. Only that successful people like Oprah know how to play their audiences, not so much as a political statement, but to play on their emotions.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:50 PM

73,117 posts, read 62,771,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
COINTELPRO? FBI? Are you serious? I'd like to see some evidence to back that up.

I agree that drugs have hurt the African-American community disproportionally, but why is there no condemnation of drugs within the A-A community. In fact, it seems to be almost acceptable among some. If drugs have been imposed on them by whites (presumably), where is the outrage?
I never said COINTELPRO and the FBI flooded the communities with drugs. I said that it is thought that COINTELPRO and FBI brought drugs in somehow. I never said it happened, I just saying it is a theory. I wouldn't be surprised.

Online NewsHour: The CIA's supposed link to crack cocaine -- November 18, 1996

Old 08-10-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I never said COINTELPRO and the FBI flooded the communities with drugs.
And I didn't accuse you of saying that. I just wanted clarification.

Quote:
I said that it is thought that COINTELPRO and FBI brought drugs in somehow. I never said it happened, I just saying it is a theory. I wouldn't be surprised.

Online NewsHour: The CIA's supposed link to crack cocaine -- November 18, 1996
Unfortunately, the U.S. has often worked with our enemies' enemies, and we can't easily dictate to them what they can and can not do, but that would hardly support the theory that the U.S. willfully allowed the Contras to addict African-Americans on crack. We were friends with Saddam Hussein at one time. Does that mean we approved of his genocide of the Kurds?

Old 08-10-2010, 04:44 PM

45 posts, read 95,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I can definitely understand the attraction to a 2000 ft classic brickhouse with nice solid wood on the inside. What do you think it would cost to renovate one of those suckers?
Depends on how you want to renovate... I'd say maybe 50k to 80k depending on your handyman skills for a good home that a family would want to live in. If you just wanna be a slum lord, I'd say 20K-50K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit