Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 01:53 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times

Advertisements

Ever since we relocated back to Michigan in September, I have felt burdened for the city of Detroit. It really, really bothers me that such a once great city has fallen on such hard times and has become such a national symbol of despair and hopelessness.

What I was wondering is, does anyone know of any volunteer opportunities in or near Detroit where I might be able to make a difference, even a small one? I am an RN, so I could do some type of healthcare volunteering, or just general volunteering to help out the city and the people of Detroit. I live about 40 min. SW of the city, so I wouldn't want it to be everyday, maybe once or twice a week. I can't explain it, but I really love Detroit and feel drawn to it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 03:01 PM

902 posts, read 1,926,433 times
I got this link off of Wayne County's website .

https://www.mivolunteerregistry.org/volunteermobilizer/ (broken link)

Old 12-08-2009, 03:13 PM

Thank you! That's a start.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:26 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
If you haven't tried google search yet....

http://www.volunteermatch.org/search...msa&l=49270%2C+

search: volunteer opportunities in Detroit

You might also consider MOVING to Detroit if its calling your name...

The city needs a few more folks to keep its population abover 725K...

Old 12-08-2009, 03:34 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Ever since we relocated back to Michigan in September, I have felt burdened for the city of Detroit. It really, really bothers me that such a once great city has fallen on such hard times and has become such a national symbol of despair and hopelessness.

What I was wondering is, does anyone know of any volunteer opportunities in or near Detroit where I might be able to make a difference, even a small one? I am an RN, so I could do some type of healthcare volunteering, or just general volunteering to help out the city and the people of Detroit. I live about 40 min. SW of the city, so I wouldn't want it to be everyday, maybe once or twice a week. I can't explain it, but I really love Detroit and feel drawn to it.

Thanks.
I live in Texas but I do a lot of volunteer work in my community. I will say that I love to volunteer with CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) on behalf of neglected and/or abused children. I also do volunteer work with a local program called Connections by recruiting mentors for children of prisoners. It similar to the Big Brother Big Sister program but taylored for these children.

I am pretty sure you can find an organization that looks for mentors for these children. As far as CASA, just google Court Appointed Special Advocates and pretty much you will find a chapter in your area.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 12-08-2009, 06:21 PM

313 posts, read 1,195,449 times
Hospice is always looking for volunteers. I worked for a team that was from Ohio boarder north to Southeast Detroit. When we had pt's in SE Detroit, it was always difficult to find people willing to go into the city and provide a few hours respite for caregivers. There is also a pediatric hospice program that is always looking for experienced volunteers....

On a completely different vein, there is an organization called Focus:HOPE that does really wonderful things. When I was in HS, we delivered food to homebound seniors and talk about feeling like you made a difference in someone's life.... Sometimes all there was left in the fridge was the butter that we brought the month before.

Thanks for wanting to volunteer! If we all did a little bit, imagine what we could accomplish!

Old 12-08-2009, 07:09 PM

Thanks to all of you. I now have some great ideas to pursue. God bless!

Old 12-09-2009, 12:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
THe methodist church by Tiger Stadium (the new one) has a soup kitchen and likes help once a week. I was going to do it during my lunch, but they want people there at 10 a.m. I think that it is called Grace methodist, but i may be wrong.

Fort Street Presbeteryian also has an outreach prgram i am not sure if it is limited to feeding people or food and shelter.

WHen I was in school, I was involved with a group that called varoius businesses and churches etc and got them to open their buildings when it got really super cold (like today). We even drove around and looked for people and offered to drive them to one of the locations. They provided people to stay with the homeless people and try to maintain security. I wish I could find out if that group is still aoround. It was a great service.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:53 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Mother Waddles Perpetual Mssn - Detroit, Michigan (MI) | Company Profile

Lighthouse of Oakland County

Grace Centers of Hope

Or
Mercy Place Clinic

(248) 333-0840
55 Clinton St
Pontiac, MI 48342 42.6376 -83.2947 -- a free clinic for the uninsured.

Or call your local United way to find places to volunteer. May I also suggest you look into helping out at the animal shelters? Or even adopting a homeless pet? Thousands of animals are being abandoned as their owners become homeless.

Last edited by Cliffie; 12-11-2009 at 03:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: