Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 05:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times

Advertisements

sorry to be so late with this answer. You have to check your BG regularly, then put in number of carbs and machine automatically figures how much insulin to give.

You still have to monitor your BG but you don't have to give shots.
I also have a sensor but I never did use it. I think it helps cut down on finger pricks but I just didn't want to mess with yet another gadget to be hooked up to. Insurance paid for both. I think $8,000 sounds very off but I may be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 02:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
why would somebody NOT have an insulin pump?

If they run around $8000 i'd say thats your answer..

Old 01-17-2011, 07:17 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Are they covered by medicare?

Old 01-17-2011, 07:27 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
I do not have diabetes, but I can tell you that, being the control freak that I am, if I did have to have insulin therapy, I would be doing shots and not the pump. I know someone who has one and swears by it, but frankly the whole idea of being "managed" by some little digital box creeps me out.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-18-2011, 08:01 PM

831 posts, read 1,583,357 times
My doc said it would cost between $8,000 to $10,000. My insurance would pay 80%.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:03 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,272,051 times
My cousin thinks the pump is great. She has only had diabete 20 years. She is also confined to a scooter.

I myself...I diabetic over 41 years, do NOT have a pump.
When they first cam out I got the VCR tape on it (that should tell you how long they have been around). I watched it over & over again. I see what my cousin goes thru.

No way would i go onto the pump.
I have huge dogs. I get on the floor & wrestle & play with them. There is no way...with all that tubing it would get hung up or the needle pulled out of me.
I roll around in bed alot...no way would I wear a pump.

I've taken millions of shots over the years. If I go anywhere or travel... I just put syringes & insulin's in a cooler. I take my blood tester with me everywhere I go. I test before I get out of my vehicle & test again when I get back in before I drive away.
the shots don't bother me in the least.

So No...I wouldn't use the pump if they paid me to wear it.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:57 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
It's been well documented by scientific studies that using insulin pumps, particularly ones with continuous blood glucose monitoring ability, will statistically significantly lower A1C vs. multiple injections a day. Trended A1C and corresponding EAG level has been scientifically shown as the best indicator for developing complications of diabetes. Lower A1C means you're getting better blood glucose control with fewer swings, which means lower risks of complications down the road - heart disease, kidney problems, stroke, eye problems, etc.

So you can use multiple injections...but just know that you're likely to increase your body's exposure to the chronic risks of diabetes vs. the most modern alternative therapy.

Dr. Francine Kaufman Discusses Results of STAR 3 Trial - TuDiabetes

Old 03-07-2011, 04:57 PM

4 posts, read 6,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
My doc said it would cost between $8,000 to $10,000. My insurance would pay 80%.
is it that expensive compared to other medical alternatives? I just wonder coz I don't know

Old 03-08-2011, 08:57 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I was really confused about Brett zmichels on The Apprentice not having an insulin pump. Why don't you have one? i funbled around with shots for about 10 years before I got a pump and it has helped me so much. I'm more likely to bolus than give myself a shot so I think I'm healthier.

The only thing I have to remember is to buy pants with pockets as don't like putting it in my bra.

My husband has had Type 1 diabetes for 27 years and is not on a pump. He is an electrician. He wears a very heavy tool bag and is in and out of ceilings all day thus not very practical.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:11 PM

831 posts, read 1,583,357 times
Well, I go to my Dr. next Friday and I am going to ask about getting the pump.(What a fun way to spend my tax refund, on my 20% co-pay.) I have been on Victoza for almost 6 months and my numbers are still crazy. I take a shot of Lantus and a shot of Novalog with breakfast, then a Novalog shot with lunch. At dinner I take a Lantus and a Novalog shot. Then before bed a shot of Victoza. I also take 1000 metformin with breakfast and 1000 with dinner and a llispiril for my kidneys at bedtime. I have lost 60 pounds too. I am hoping I can get better control with a pump. I think there is some kind of new pump out that doesn't have any tubes, Omnipod or something??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes