Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 11:22 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times

Advertisements

I think my doctor is going to want me to start insulin. Ive been on piles for about 3 years .My question is should the insulin make me feel more active and better overall and although I have never had any low sugar levels will the chances of having serious drops increase when you are on insulin...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
I thought there would be some people here that at one point started insulin and thus would have an idea at least about how it affected them when they first started it....Guess not. Maybe it has affected their mental ability to recall such a thing......hope not....gez

Old 11-03-2012, 12:08 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Check out--

www.diabetesforum.org

Tons of information, best of luck to you!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:25 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I think my doctor is going to want me to start insulin. Ive been on piles for about 3 years .My question is should the insulin make me feel more active and better overall and although I have never had any low sugar levels will the chances of having serious drops increase when you are on insulin...thanks
I've been on insulin for just over a year and there are still days that I have serious drops. If I get busy and don't eat something every 2-3 hours then I WILL drop.

As soon as my blood sugars got under control (less than a month) I started to have more energy and my vision problems cleared somewhat.

Your doctor will monitor your glucose levels closely and tell you all that you need to know.

Good luck.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:11 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I've been on insulin for just over a year and there are still days that I have serious drops. If I get busy and don't eat something every 2-3 hours then I WILL drop.

As soon as my blood sugars got under control (less than a month) I started to have more energy and my vision problems cleared somewhat.

Your doctor will monitor your glucose levels closely and tell you all that you need to know.

Good luck.

Of course! And a flying pig will lay a golden egg in the pumpkin patch!

Please, OP, be your own advocate. Learn all you can. Monitor yourself, keep records of your blood glucose, food journals, find patterns, etc. Its YOUR health, in reality, most doctors don't give a fig.

I had 3 doctors mumble something to the effect my blood sugar was "somewhat elevated" without saying how much, then walk out the door. Then the little play nurse comes in with a glucose monitor thing, hands me an RX, then walks out. That's all I got from 2 internists and one endocrinologist. The monitor didn't even have lancets, just strips, guess I was supposed to use a sewing needle?

Meanwhile, my condition worsened. I complained of all the classic symptoms--excessive thirst, excessive urinating, dry mouth, constant hunger---all that was met with a grin or shrug---of course you will "pee" more, if you drink so much water! I mean, these were first world, highly rated doctors, not some doc-in-a-box.

Finally, I started testing myself regularly, and found some very alarming numbers, many 500-600+. I brought in the meter and stuck it in their faces, they couldn't deny that. My fasting BG was usually normal to borderline, that's all they went from, said I didn't have any problem except wanting attention (that's what they implied). But when I showed them my BG is all over the place during the day, well, they had to do something. Fortunately, I now have a wonderful PCP who has really been working with me, and my numbers are in the 100's, still trying to get even better control.

But if you think the doctor's going to worry about it, well, most don't even bother.

try this forum--

www.diabetesforum.org

lots of great information, from others who have taken charge of their own health, and good luck!

Old 11-08-2012, 05:14 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
I did not say that the doctor was going to monitor glucose levels on a daily basis. I'm talking more on a monthly basis.

Marylee, I am sorry your experience has been so horrendous. Sounds like you have some not-so-wonderful doctors and nurses.

OP, I do agree with Marylee that you need to be your own best 'doctor'. We know our bodies better than any doctor ever will. Only you can tell what spikes your sugars, so do keep a food journal.

My experience was vastly different. I had every symptom that you described above, plus my vision was really, really bad and I had lost 40 lbs in 6 weeks. I felt stupid because I never even gave diabetes a thought (even though my brother - who lives with me - has had diabetes since 07) and just wondered why I felt so crappy. Truthfully, but that time I did not have the energy to search for anything online. I was in bed by 8 or 9 every night for months. That is how we knew it was something serious, since I am a night owl!
I went in with this symptoms and had blood work done right away. Results came back later that afternoon and I was called and had to go back in the very next morning. Starting taking Lantus that night. Now take Novolin 70/30.
Since I was diagnosed last October I have been back and forth for labs every six weeks.
My first doctor didn't give me any lab or visit print-outs, but did explain everything to me - to my satisfaction.
My new doctor gives me all lab results and office visit results every single visit. We work as a team and she even calls me at home to see if I am feeling well.
I live in a small town, and I love the small town care.

I also have had supply problems. For almost a year all I could get was 30 needles a month (I need 2 a day) and nothing I said to the pharmacy (even getting new prescriptions) would make them change that damn script. I finally got it right last month and then this month they could not figure out what size or brand I needed. All right there in front of their eyes on the computer, yet they missed it again.

I certainly wish nothing but the best for both of you. Life is so much sweeter (pun intended) when we finally get our diabetes under control. It is up to us to control it, not let it control us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes