Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:11 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

I was really confused about Brett zmichels on The Apprentice not having an insulin pump. Why don't you have one? i funbled around with shots for about 10 years before I got a pump and it has helped me so much. I'm more likely to bolus than give myself a shot so I think I'm healthier.

The only thing I have to remember is to buy pants with pockets as don't like putting it in my bra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 11:29 AM

16 posts, read 48,715 times
I'm not diabetic but I have two friends who swear by the pump, saying it greatly improved their quality of life and made stuff a lot easier for them. Another person I know less well uses shots. I don't know, because I haven't been comfortable asking anyone, and they haven't brought it up. But I suspect it may just be because the pump is a newer technology and hasn't fully caught on.

One of my friends clips it to her belt. She says she doesn't mind people asking what it is as she doesn't mind talking about it.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:50 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Some of us have extremely sensitive skin and would not tolerate the hook-up for the pump.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:08 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
My young adult son has the option of the pump or injections and he prefers the injections. We went through a trail period with the pump and he decided he didn't like it.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:37 PM

199 posts, read 319,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I was really confused about Brett zmichels on The Apprentice not having an insulin pump. Why don't you have one? i funbled around with shots for about 10 years before I got a pump and it has helped me so much. I'm more likely to bolus than give myself a shot so I think I'm healthier.

The only thing I have to remember is to buy pants with pockets as don't like putting it in my bra.
It's basically a personal choice for a lot of folks and money for even more. I resisted going on the pump in the beginning. My doc kept steady but gentle pressure on me and I eventually gave in and got a pump.

I don't like it connected to me all the time and it can be a pain to keep the tubing and such straight, but I have to say it has definitely improved my control and the features of the pump make a lot of foods available to me that were just to much work with injections, like PIZZA

Overall, it has improved my life, but some days I am sick of it being attached to me.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:23 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
When I first got mine I felt like a bionic woman some how. It is rather scary to be so dependant on something like this but I agree with others who talk about how much better control we have with a pump. Recently mine broke and I had to give injection and I was reminded how convenient it is to have this pump. And I have sensitive skin too but it doesn't bother me.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:12 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,968 times
I will give myself another year before I try the pump. I look at getting the pump as me giving up all hope of getting myself off of the insulin. I am on my 2nd day of Victoza and if this works in 6 weeks I should be able to go off of the shots after each meal and my morning shot of the slow acting insulin as well.. Then I will do the Victoza shot once a week and that is it. I was warned that I would feel sick for the first few weeks ov Victoza and so far that is very true.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:21 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,037 times
From what I`ve heard, if it`s the same thing they are really expensive. A guy that my dh knows spent $8,000 on one and how to pay it out of pocket. The insurance wouldn`t pay for it.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:07 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
I have excellent control without a pump.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Does the pump work by just automatically giving you timed injections or does it monitor your blood sugar and dose accordingly every once in a while?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes