Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 10:24 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,066,430 times

Advertisements

Is there a specific bread you all use being diabetic~? If so, what brand~? Or do you not eat bread~? Bread is one of my downfalls. So many breads have "soy" ingredients and I am trying to give up soy even tho most of my diet consists of soy. I'm just trying to find some answers and I appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 01:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,961,099 times
I eat bread in moderation. I buy the whole grain type and I look for lowest carb count and highest protein count. Can't remember the brand, it has a yellow label, less "perfect" than the other brands.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:56 PM

20,998 posts, read 28,573,198 times
MY DH is diabetic and he does not eat bread as much, but eats rice and pasta 2x a week. I buy arnold carb count whole wheat bread. I am on WW so it's 2 points for 2 slices.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:30 PM

I was at Whole Foods tonight and checked their gourmet breads and apparently there is no soy in them. They make them daily. I've gotten the seeded bread before and this will be my bread of choice now.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:57 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,473,952 times
Veggienut, I really wish you'd make an appointment with a nutritionist. As a vegetarian with blood sugar and thyroid issues, you have a lot of factors to consider when figuring out how to get the right amount of protein, how many carbs to factor in, etc. I imagine they'll tell you that soy in smaller amounts than what you've been eating will be OK, but I'm not a nutritionist. They may have suggestions with specific types or brands of breads for you. They'll explain how to dole out your carbs during the day to try to keep blood sugar on an even keel. If you have insurance, it should pay for a consultation if you're diabetic, possibly even if you're prediabetic if your doctor gives you a referral.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:31 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,854,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Veggienut, I really wish you'd make an appointment with a nutritionist. As a vegetarian with blood sugar and thyroid issues, you have a lot of factors to consider when figuring out how to get the right amount of protein, how many carbs to factor in, etc. I imagine they'll tell you that soy in smaller amounts than what you've been eating will be OK, but I'm not a nutritionist. They may have suggestions with specific types or brands of breads for you. They'll explain how to dole out your carbs during the day to try to keep blood sugar on an even keel. If you have insurance, it should pay for a consultation if you're diabetic, possibly even if you're prediabetic if your doctor gives you a referral.
I agree with this. Also veggienut, I'm not attacking your dietary choices b/c your reasons are your own, but do you have a strong reason for being a vegetarian? The reason I'm asking is b/c it sounds as if it may not be the best eating plan for you--physically that is. I tried it for awhile but had to abandon it b/c I wasn't getting enough protein or iron and I got severely anemic.

Also, I've read some troubling articles about soy--unfermented soy that is, which makes me think it's not quite the wholesome food that it's been purported to be--my understanding is that Asians don't eat as much unfermented soy as we've been led to believe. Well it sounds like you've read or heard about some of that too or you wouldn't be looking to reduce it. But of course the main problem here is that soy has been your biggest source of protein I would imagine, and I'm getting more and more to the notion that protein is very, very important--more so than I was told by the folks who write books about vegetarianism. I remember reading something years ago that was so dismissive of our protein needs that he said that one potato could give us all the protein we need for a day! Well I just looked that up and one large potato has 28 gms of protein--pretty high for a vegetable but not nearly enough for a day's ration.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:39 AM

15,646 posts, read 26,344,103 times
I make my own, using King Arthur's White Whole Wheat flour. It's from a white winter wheat, instead of the red winter wheat we're used to, but it's the same nutritionally. The white wheat even has a less tannic taste. I use the King Arthur seeds and grain blend to add texture and more grains.

And since I make it in a traditional 9 x 5 loaf pan, I get smaller slices, since the bread people seem to have gone to 10 x 7 pans....

Old 01-13-2012, 12:12 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,447,424 times
It's easiest to just give it up. I know that's not exactly easy, especially if you're a bread fan (like I was), but it is possible. I still like the idea of eating bread and it sounds appealing, until I actually eat some and then I usually get pretty sick to my stomach.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:54 AM

295 posts, read 835,166 times
I use Ezekiel's brand, found in the frozen bread section. It's made from sprouted grains, not procesed flour and doesn't spike me. I personally think it's better toasted, jmo. I follow a fairly low carb diet.

Also, the Flat Out breads seem to be okay, check the carb count. And the Joseph's flat breads (online at Netrition.com or most Walmarts in the deli section) are good for making pizza or wrapping sandwiches.

Always test your blood sugar to see what's right for you (doesn't spike you).

Old 02-20-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
For your information, I did see a nutritionist. She gave me good advise but I was hungry and loosing too much weight with the amount of carbs she told me to eat. I consulted my primary doctor about the foods that I can/can't eat and she told me I can eat what I want. She never ever heard of the foods to avoid when you have a thyroid problem. There are days I count my carbs and days I don't, so I can physically tell when I eat too many carbs now. Plus, I have a phone app that I use to calculate my carbs.

Quote:
do you have a strong reason for being a vegetarian? The reason I'm asking is b/c it sounds as if it may not be the best eating plan for you--physically that is. I tried it for awhile but had to abandon it b/c I wasn't getting enough protein or iron and I got severely anemic.
I have been vegetarian for like 30 years now and have no health issues until now. The reason I switched was because I had severe migraines and haven't had one in like 30 years. We all make choices, as I say. It works for me but may not for the next person. There is so many types of vegetarians. You need to read up on this before you begin, like I did. I eat fish now and then as well as cheese and eggs now and then. If you were vegan, honestly that isn't healthy and you need to cook all the time and know how to balance your food intakes. I tried it for a while but issues got into my way and I had no choice but to give it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes